Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log - Page 4

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Each rail has 29 1/4-20 threaded holes, and 10 5/16-18 threaded holes. Both rails are now drilled, tapped, filed, and painted.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-drill-tap-jpg

Because you can only get the rail in shorter segments, you have to weld 2 pieces end to end to make one longer piece for each side (on X). I used two pieces that were aligned by clamps and the leftover piece that I cut off of the Y axis rack. Then I welded it.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-butt-weld-jpg

Of course, it promptly broke. Not enough weld penetration. I had to redo it, but this time I added a generous bevel.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-bevel-jpg

With that welded and ground back flat, I was able to cut the rack to a length just a little less than the speed demon rails, cleaned thoroughly, and applied the tape.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-taping-rack-jpg

The clamps in the picture are holding a couple of steel rulers onto the speed demon rails. The gear rack tended to droop a little and I wanted it to be adhered straight. After I got the backing tape off, I slid the two pieces together and then clamped them to sit overnight.

That tape is some really aggressive stuff. Just the edge of it tends to get stuck on things if you're not careful.

I should have a second pair of hands tomorrow. With a little luck, and assuming I haven't made a mistake somewhere, I hope to finish mounting the complete rails, and get the gantry mounted.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First thing I did was bolt the speed demon rails to steel tubing rails. I got about 8 bolts in before I thought to check if the roller blocks could be installed with it bolted down. They can't. So I got it lifted back up and slid the blocks on and then bolted it down.

A couple of things to note, the bolt holes (in the speed demon rails) have very little extra play in them. If your drill bit wanders when you put in the bolt holes (in the steel rails) you may have problems. Mine were just noticeably snug. The counterbore has a little extra room, so you could just drill the holes out a little (in the speed demon rails) if you run into trouble.

Then I bolted the rail assemblies to the lower frame. I just finger tightened them as I will be adjusting them during the gantry install. The eccentrics on the roller blocks were set to remove play at this time also.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-rails-n-blocks-jpg

At this time I had a buddy come over to help lift the gantry into place. Remember the side plates and their gussets are still just loosely attached. I got a couple of bolts in the side plate / bearing blocks and it was stable enough to let go of it. Next I installed all the roller block to side plate bolts and tightened them.

At this point I was able to slide the gantry's 8020 extrusion just a little to get it perfectly centered, then I tightened all the side plate and gusset bolts. This makes the entire gantry down to the speed demon rails very rigid. It's also worth noting that all that tightening was done with the gantry above the rail to lower frame bolts (still finger tight) on the near end of the frame.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-gantry-jpg

The install instructions describe a "floating in" procedure to set the width of the rail assemblies. Basically you just use the gantry to hold the rails at the right distance while tightening the bolts. So I tightened the set of bolts under the gantry, then slid the gantry to the next set, tightened, and then did the third set.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-end-plates-jpg

Lastly, I hung the x gear reducers temporarily, set the gear depth on the shaft to mesh with the rack, then removed them, loctited them, and re-installed them.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-x-gear-jpg

Last thing to mention. I got the longer bolts that I mention in a previous post. These are the lower frame to rail bolts that needed to be longer because I welded on the extra set of plates.
    Cost 7.82
    Grand total currently at: 6223.57

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No real progress. I'm gonna be stuck on hold until I can get more parts in. I did order the Hypertherm P85 and consumables for it today. I expect to order my CandCnc stuff tomorrow or the day after.

I could go ahead and build the tray/pan to hold the x cable track, but I want to fit the CandCNC control box and the Hypertherm in the same area. Gonna be tight, so I want to get them here before I start building. This is probably where I start deviating from the blue prints.

Don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but the Precision Plasma plans are for a water tray table. I'm planning to build this as a down draft table with the ducting out the same side as the x cable track. So I need to leave that alone until I know what space I'm going to have for certain.

Anywho,

4208.00 for the powermax 85, 156.00 for consumables, 327.30 tax. That comes to 4691.30

Grand total 10,914.87
    Now before somebody freaks out about how much that is compared to such and such, remember the quoted costs for a table almost NEVER includes the plasma torch.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

11,000 is what I have in budget to build table. I think I'm going to do the down draft table like you suggested.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I get my plasma cutters from harris welding. They are on ebay as torchking.Free shipping.Here is the link

Sign in or Register | eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just sent my CandCNC order through.

Bladerunner DragonCut 620-4 With Linux PC and WiFi 2277.00
    25 foot cables. 42.00
    Hyt Advanced connection kit B (no hub) 380.00
    Sheetcam License 165.00
    Shipping UPS ground 57.21

Subtotal 2879.21
    Grand Total 13,794.08 (9102.78 without Plasma cutter)

Some things to note.

I don't know if I'll want wifi or not. But 40 bucks ain't bad, and it'd be a real pain later.

I initially planned to go with a windows install on a used computer, but you pretty much have to run an older version of windows, which really says alot. This ends up being a very personal choice. Close, but I went Linux to try and stay more modern, plus it's nice to get everything together so you KNOW it's compatible.

25ft cables are necessary for a 5x10. Other size tables use different lengths.

The no hub kit, is because you get a hub already in the bladerunner kit. No sense buying a duplicate.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am starting to go through withdrawals .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, me too!

My consumables kit has arrived at the weld shop, and I got an email from CandCNC letting me know they've finished my order, but other than that it's just a waiting game. I kinda shot myself in the foot on the CandCNC order. Long story short, I put the funds in the wrong account before ordering, then couldn't get it fixed until after Memorial Day weekend.

I have been putting a lot of thought into the table slat design. I want the slats themselves to be as simple as possible, no notches or cut shapes. That should make replacement super easy. Better to do the extra work on the pieces that DON'T get replaced. This means the slat holders need to be designed with the slots or holding pattern in them. PLUS, I don't want straight slats for two reasons. First, the danger of cutting along an edge, Second, straight slats can vibrate/move causing jittery cuts.

I think I'm going to make it with wavy slats, that will require 4-5 slat holders in the table frame. At that point, I really want to plasma cut the slat holders. I think I'm going to hold off on the table/slat building until after the machine can cut it's own parts. I'll have to rig up a temporary jury-rig to cut slat holders on, but that won't be needed for long.

I think this weekend will be toast as far as being productive. Parts should arrive mid next week, then I'm back at it again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turns out the weld shop had my Hypertherm P85 too.

I learned two things. First that the machine comes with a consumables kit. So.... now I have two. Redundancy is good.

Secondly, (no picture) I was kind of planning to convert the torch to a mini torch by removing the extension. According to what I can find, these are mostly legacy from when the plasma cutters were being made to replace oxy/acetylene machine torches. The section with a gear rack on it is for that purpose and we don't really need it. But.... When I got to looking, the clamps on the magnetic breakaway are just far enough apart that I would not be able to mount it in the Mini configuration.

This really doesn't matter, it was just personal aesthetics that made me want it shorter.

I have also taken the time to actually read through the manual. (Really!)
    I also downloaded a PDF of it, as I want to print off a couple of pages that I can post near the control. Basically just recommended speeds, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160604_000838-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160604_000916-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you order or receive the wrong kit?

Choose your region and language | Hypertherm You have to go down to "Related Products", and click on "Consumables", then go down to "Consumable kits".

I figured you were getting Part #851470

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I looked it over, and it appears that there are two consumable kits. One of them has a smaller number of parts and is a "starter" kit (#228968). That's what I ordered and received. The other is a "essentials" kit (#851470). Looks like the major difference is the number of pieces per kit, and the essential kit has the regular electrodes and the long life "copper plus" electrodes used for 1/2" or less thickness.

I imagine once I'm running on a consistent basis and I can get a handle on my personal needs and uses, that I'll get a fishing tackle box and make sure to stock everything I might need in quantities that make sense to me.

Waiting is killing me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I got it all ordered last Tuesday. Ordered the speed demon 35. The candcnc kit with Linux and the rails. Talked to lm76 Friday. They had everything done and ready to ship Monday. Hypertherm 65 is on order also. Thanks for the build thread. Made it a lot easier for me to make heads or tails of everything.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tc_fab View Post
    Well I got it all ordered last Tuesday. Ordered the speed demon 35. The candcnc kit with Linux and the rails. Talked to lm76 Friday. They had everything done and ready to ship Monday. Hypertherm 65 is on order also.
    Oh, Yeah! You're gonna love it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Figured I'd give you a weekend status update. Still on hold waiting on CandCNC. Unless there's an unexpected UPS delivery tomorrow, it's gonna be another weekend without progress.

UPS's website says it's only one day shipping for UPS Ground between here and there. I've sent a couple of e-mails trying to get a tracking number but haven't received a reply yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just got an email saying my package has shipped from CandCNC! Tracking number is too new to work yet, but here's hoping that I get it before the weekend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exciting.
    Mines still a few weeks off
    Hate the waiting game!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, Yeah!

Tracking says it's gonna be here Friday. I've already delegated a family member to make sure it gets signed for. I don't want UPS to not deliver just because I'm not home.

I'm so excited that I drug my computer cabinet in and set a garage-sale monitor and keyboard up on it. It's only 5 dollars worth, but it's progress.

Soon.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First thing I did was unpack the PC and set it up in it's new home.

It came with a keyboard and mouse, so I used those. Good thing too, as I didn't have a spare mouse for it in my pile-o-junk.

An issue that I've been dealing with is that I wanted to construct a single piece that would bolt to the side of the frame that would support the cable track, the CandCnc control box, and my Hypertherm p85. Additionally I don't want to block the middle of each half of the table as I want to run ducting out that side for the downdraft, plus.... I want everything off the floor. (for cleanliness.)

Ain't happening. There just isn't enough room for all three items the way I want them. Looks like I'm going to build the cable track to the plans, mount the control box on the center leg, and the Hypertherm will have to sit on the floor (on a cart).

Back to the Yard Store for steel. I got a piece of 1-1/2 square tubing and a 76" long piece of 4" C channel. I also grabbed a couple of plates made from 1/8" steel that were part of some kind of enclosure. I thought I might use them to mount up the control box on.

Got it home, cut two 3" pieces of tubing and welded them to the C-channel, painted it, and then welded and painted it onto the frame per the print.

Next up I had to add three links to the cable track, but installed in the opposite direction. Basically it just needs to be able to bend backwards right where it bolts up to the gantry. Just pops apart, add a section and pop it back together. Like Legos.

Drilled a coupla holes and bolted the cable track into place. Voila!

Gonna sleep on it, and try to think of a nice method of mounting that box.

Spent 5.00 on monitor in previous post, plus 42.87 in steel.

Grand Total 13,841.95

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-desk-1-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-track-links-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-finished-track-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coming along nicely.
    I'm interested to see what you think about the Linux setup.
    Also any chance you could give me rough dimensions on the electronics box.
    Mines not due for a couple of weeks and I want to start figuring out how I can mount it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're gonna want to remember that all 4 sides need space. There's an air port on top, cables on both sides and an air inlet fan with power cords on bottom. The back is really the only part that can be closely mounted to anything.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160619_165713-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160619_165647-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160619_165647-jpg  
    Last edited by INTJGuy; 06-20-2016 at 01:20 AM. Reason: bad dimension on picture

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast