Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log - Page 3

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Included. I received 3 packages from Ron at Precision Plasma. One was v-rail and gear racks (long stuff). The second was a box of small parts. The third package was drop shipped from 8020.com by Precison Plasma to me but it was included in the kit's cost and I did not pay extra for it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got the units squared up, but it might be hard to explain how I did it. Here goes.

First I loosened all the bolts and the set screws except for on the gear/pulley.

I removed the bolts from one side plate (we'll call it the top side).

The top plate was lifted off and the gear and shaft were removed as a unit.

Then I removed the bolt and long nut (that goes between plates) from two opposite corners of the lower plate. I drilled these 2 holes with a 3/8 drill bit. They are already 3/8, I was just cleaning out the holes as they were a little snug with paint. I also did the corresponding holes in the top plate.

I kind of just eyeballed the bearing on the lower plate to be centered on the hole and tightened the bolts. Doesn't need to be perfect, but I got it as close as I could anyway.

I then put (3) 3/8-16 nuts around the hole and set the gear (with shaft through the bearing where it's supposed to be) on top of them. (there are two of them circled in green)

The top plate was lowered over the shaft and two 3/8-16 bolts that were 2" long were placed in the previously drilled holes. (blue circle shows one of these) These bolts ARE NOT tightened. I'm just using them to align the upper and lower plates.

Now, all you have to do, is tap the shaft around until the pulley/gear is touching all the nuts. Then (gently without disturbing things) tighten the bearing bolts on the upper plate. Carefully slide the nuts out and then gently gently gently replace the 3/8-16 bolts with the long nuts and the proper bolts. If you do it correctly the angle of the bearings shouldn't be disturbed and everything will be nearly perfectly aligned. Tighten the bolts that hold the plates together. Then the shaft / pulley can be centered to clear the nuts on the bearing bolts and the set screws tightened.

This would be a perfect time to realize that you forgot to put the belt on, and start over again. I did it a couple of times.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160512_000437-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful things....

Front of the Z axis with the mag mount.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-mag-mount-jpg

Rear of the Z axis showing the ballscrew.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-back-jpg

The V-bearings mounted on the plate, mounted on the Z axis.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-vbearing-plate-jpg

Time to set the Z-axis aside, and start on the side plates, but I needed to check a picture to be sure I have it right before I proceed. I'll get back at it tomorrow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Took me a bit to figure out the gussets. You get one narrow and one wide gusset per side, with 4 short bolts and 2 long ones. Basically the 2 holes for the narrow gusset share a threaded hole with 2 of the holes for the wide gusset. This means it needs a short screw from each side. The long bolts are for the two unshared holes.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-gussets-jpg

Bolts and t-nuts were added to the gussets and then the whole shebang was set into the 8020 rail. None of the gusset bolts are tight yet. This is done during the gantry mounting.

Next the Z axis was slid onto the V-rail, and the adjusters on the lower bearings were used to remove the slack. Basically I just spun the bearings while moving the adjuster. When the bearing stopped free spinning and tried to move the assembly, I tightened it down.

I should note that one of the side assemblies had to be temporarily removed to get the z to slide on the end of the V-rail. Also I attached the little rubber bumpers that keep it from sliding off the end of the V-rail.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-z-jpg

Next I bolted on the Y gear reducer. Note the mis-adustment on gear to rack. This is one of the places that is supposed to be checked before applying loctite. Now you know why.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-y-rack-jpg

I decided to bolt on the Z motor. I should note here, that this is the special motor that I got from Precision Plasma and is not from CandCNC. This unit is basically 1/2 the torque and 2x the speed. The kit came with shaft adapters for both this motor (1/4") and the normal larger size (3/8").

I also started laying out the cable carrier track, when I realized that I was going to have to re-do the Y axis gear reducer. There's nothing wrong with it, but I want to put the controls on the left side of the machine. The standard layout is on the right side. It's all built to be switchable, but I didn't anticipate the gear reducer needing to be switched. Live and learn.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-motor-cable-track-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Y axis reducer has been disassembled, the plates turned around and re-assembled, making it a lefty. I also adjusted the height of the gear on the shaft to match the rack, and then loctited it in place. Then the Y axis reducer was re-installed and pulled tight to eliminate back lash and bolted down. I bolted the cable track to the machine head, moved the carriage all the way to the right and then bolted the lower half of the cable track to the pan in the set of holes that it would furthest reach to. Following which I verified that I had full travel without binding.

One thing I've found is that no one takes pictures of the back side of the carriage. This was a bit annoying when I was trying to verify I was doing it correctly. So......... Here ya go.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160515_003548-jpg

I also installed two black cosmetic caps on the ends of the 8020. Until I can get the Speed Demon rail, I'm kinda stuck. I'll probably weld the ends on the 3x3 rails, and drill them to bolt to the lower frame, but drilling for the speed demon rail mounting holes and paint will have to wait.

Curious note. Ron at Precision Plasma has delivered a super organized kit with everything labeled and sealed in ziploc bags. Somehow I've ended up with a few extra bolts. I'm sending Ron an E-mail to figure out if I forgot something.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

O.k. I'm an idiot. I just sent the email, and then was looking at pictures on the Precision Plasma website and realized exactly where the bolts go and what they're for.

FWIW, they hold on the cable track for the X axis, I just hadn't gotten there yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello. Been watching your build great job! When you get it all finished I would like to come down and meet up and check out your machine. I'm looking at building the speed demon 35. I'm in LaCygne about an hour south of Kansas City. What made you pick the speed demon hd over the speed demon 35?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tc_fab View Post
    Hello. Been watching your build great job! When you get it all finished I would like to come down and meet up and check out your machine. I'm looking at building the speed demon 35. I'm in LaCygne about an hour south of Kansas City. What made you pick the speed demon hd over the speed demon 35?
    I think the 35 option wasn't listed when he started.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I work 2nd shift so It'll have to be a weekend, but O.K. I live in the country, but near Wellington Ks. Basically straight south on I-35 from you.

There wasn't a speed demon 35 at the time I ordered. Ron added a couple of kits and redesigned his page just as I was ordering. I do kind of wonder why he has a speed demon and a speed demon 35 kit. I thought maybe it was because the speed demon in the 25 size like mine was very popular and got into a back order situation, but I don't know. If you're on the fence about it, ask Ron at PPllc. He's great to deal with and will lay out any pros / cons for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No progress. Just realized I didn't have an "all together" picture. The only thing really missing from the gantry is the motors and the x belt / gear reducers. Those get installed at final assembly.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160515_221620-jpg

I'm trying to gear myself up for the next big (and hopefully final big) purchase. I've gotten prices from CandCNC's website for the electronics. I plan to get a quote on my Hypertherm stuff tomorrow from Lampton's Welding Supply in Wichita. They've answered alot of questions and fixed my gear quite well in the past, so I want to go with them if I can. Good people, excellent service.

The part numbers I'm getting quoted are;
    Hypertherm Powermax 85 with machine torch and serial output. #087138
    Consumables Starter kit with Ohmic cap. #228968

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by INTJGuy View Post
    No progress. Just realized I didn't have an "all together" picture. The only thing really missing from the gantry is the motors and the x belt / gear reducers. Those get installed at final assembly.

I'm trying to gear myself up for the next big (and hopefully final big) purchase. I've gotten prices from CandCNC's website for the electronics. I plan to get a quote on my Hypertherm stuff tomorrow from Lampton's Welding Supply in Wichita. They've answered alot of questions and fixed my gear quite well in the past, so I want to go with them if I can. Good people, excellent service.

The part numbers I'm getting quoted are;
    Hypertherm Powermax 85 with machine torch and serial output. #087138
    Consumables Starter kit with Ohmic cap. #228968
    Is 25' Leads long enough for an 5x10 table? I thought that I read somewhere that a 25' lead was pushing it for a 4x8 table.

You might also want to consider getting a hand torch for it too.

I got a Machine and Hand Torch with cpc port package when i got my Hypertherm. I added the serial port later.

I also wouldn't mind seeing it in action. I have a little further to drive though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tbrd69 View Post
    Is 25' Leads long enough for an 5x10 table?

Good question. I assumed so, but now I'm gonna double check.

The quote came out as 4208.00 for the powermax 85, 156.00 for consumables, 327.30 tax. That comes to 4691.30

Maybe I can get enough people to come check it out at 1.00 a head to offset some of that.......

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talked with Ron this afternoon. The difference between speed demon hd and speed demon 35. Is the 35 takes a larger block. When he built the hd. They couldn't keep the 25 blocks In stock for the hd. So he once again redesigned the hd and came out with the speed demon 35. The 35s cost more so he discounted the price to make up for the price difference. Ron is a great guy. Very friendly and would help out in a heart beat. Customer service is top notch at precision plasma.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tc_fab View Post
    Ron is a great guy. Very friendly and would help out in a heart beat. Customer service is top notch at precision plasma.
    This has absolutely been my experience with him. If anybody out there reading this is on the fence, I'd highly recommend giving Precision Plasma a shot. It's been top notch before during and after the sale.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Couldn't find much info on the lead length question, so I just asked Ron. 25' will be fine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Received an invoice from Braasco/Automation4less. I have nothing positive to say here. Trying real hard not to go off about it. Order was placed on 4/28, it's now 5/17. That's three weeks, and all I have to show for it is an invoice.

MSC has not gotten back to me, and I found the other day on the LM76.com website that MSC may carry some of their products.

I don't know if LM76.com sells their product directly, or if they could recommend an alternative supplier.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by INTJGuy View Post
    Received an invoice from Braasco/Automation4less. I have nothing positive to say here. Trying real hard not to go off about it. Order was placed on 4/28, it's now 5/17. That's three weeks, and all I have to show for it is an invoice.

MSC has not gotten back to me, and I found the other day on the LM76.com website that MSC may carry some of their products.

I don't know if LM76.com sells their product directly, or if they could recommend an alternative supplier.

LM.76 Distributors New Page 7

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I emailed LM76 and asked about other distributors or direct sales. Direct Sales are done by either Mike Quinn ( MQuinn@lm76.com ) or Christine Carlson ( ccarlson@LM76.com ).

It's too late for me, but if anybody tries this route, please let us know how your pricing and service level was.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talked to lm76 today. The lady I talked to said ship time was 1 week and all of it was in stock. They would have to cut the rails to spec. Which take a week to cut. Shipping to 66040 was $260.00. The prices she gave me was the same as automation for less.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got a call yesterday from FEDEX, and picked up my Speed Demon rails today.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160519_160917-jpg

I was a little confused by why it would take a week to cut them to length (as they told tc_fab) until I got a good look at them. I'd guess the aluminum is milled and anodized then the steel rods are pressed in, and the whole thing put into stock / warehouse. Yes it has to be cut to length, but they are also drilling and counterboring the holes when it gets sawed. At least, that's how I think it's getting done.

Welded the end plates onto the tube / rails. Then set them into place and transfer punched the hole pattern.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160519_210047-jpg

Then I rolled the tubes 90 degrees, laid the speed demon rails into place, clamped them and transfer punched them.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160519_212548-jpg

If you are going to try this, I suggest not welding the inside corner of the tabs on the tube ends. The Speed Demon rail buts up to the weld on both ends and there's not much spare room. I had to hand file a little to get a proper fit.

Also, I realized that because I added an extra 1/2" plate, that I will need longer bolts to compensate for my other compensation.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast