Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Added the long axis lower tubes.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160501_003828-jpg

Starting to take shape, even if it is upside down.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160501_004300-jpg

Once those pieces are welded together it'll be too heavy for me to handle alone. I may have to bribe some help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

700+ views. I'm feeling kinda rock-star.

This is how I finished welding it together. Note; it's just sitting on the rails. I did that to help align everything to the same plane.

Then this is it flipped over, feet attached and I wiped it down with thinner as I was getting ready to paint.

While checking it out I found that the center support is off by about 1/8"

And most of the plates are NOT flat.

The machine won't care how flat the lower frame is, as long as I get the rails right. I'm thinking of only bolting the rails on the outer ends, then double triple checking for straightness, followed by super careful welding. I'm a little lost as to how to check for straightness over that length. Gonna hafta think and research it.

4 cans spray paint 16.83
    Grand Total 5874.47

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160501_181132-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160501_181118-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160501_181358-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160501_155815-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=INTJGuy;1877150]

And most of the plates are NOT flat.

That would drive me nuts. I would probably re do it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't mind, but I'd have to basically take it back to pieces (with a saw). It's all interconnected, and very welded. Then everything would be too short, so it'd be easier to just start over.

That being said, the picture really kinda exaggerates it. All 6 pads touch to the rails on at least on edge. That's likely because I sat them (upside down) on the rails before welding them together. Think of it like this, I was going to weld the gap between the pads and the legs. Because I didn't get that right, the issue gets passed to the next joint and I get one more chance to fix it, before it affects anything other than my sanity.

So now I have two things that I would change if I were to do it again. 1, use CRS for the plates, and 2, get the ends of the tubing squarely cut. (By a better saw, or on a bridgeport).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

O.K. I have a plan. I cannot weld the rails on, they need to be adjusted during the gantry setup. Instead, I will make a 2nd set of identical plates, put them on top of the existing plates, level them perfectly, then weld them in place. This will raise the gantry by 1/2" and allow the table to function correctly.

In order to get as much mismatch out of the system as possible, I'm also planning to transfer punch the plate hole pattern into the rails before drilling.

Thoughts? Anyone.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by INTJGuy View Post
    O.K. I have a plan. I cannot weld the rails on, they need to be adjusted during the gantry setup. Instead, I will make a 2nd set of identical plates, put them on top of the existing plates, level them perfectly, then weld them in place. This will raise the gantry by 1/2" and allow the table to function correctly.

In order to get as much mismatch out of the system as possible, I'm also planning to transfer punch the plate hole pattern into the rails before drilling.

Thoughts? Anyone.
    I would look into leveling with epoxy

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I thought about epoxy, but I don't know if I could get it to turn out acceptably. It's a good idea, I just don't trust my application of it.

In unrelated news, I still haven't got automation4less to ship the Speed Demon rails. It's a combination of foot dragging and inefficiencies. I bought online, paid with a credit card, and they still insisted on talking to me on the phone. They charged 5 dollars for residential delivery, then didn't want to ship to a residential address. I switched to a pickup at a FedEx freight center, and then they held off so that I could (once again) authorize payment. Frustration Frustration Frustration. Shipping isn't this hard. I've met stay at home mothers selling on e-bay who could have gotten this done in an hour or less.

Shipping to the FedEx freight center in Wichita 324.08
    Grand total comes to 6198.55

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by INTJGuy View Post

Thoughts? Anyone.
    Brass shims?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I'm going with welded steel plates. I got the steel, and I've sanded them all, and drilled two. Should have the rest done soon. The only thing to note is that I'm drilling them oversize to 5/8" to prevent interference.

Steel plates 17.20
    Grand Total 6215.75

Also, I checked and The Yard doesn't carry CRS in that size. Bummer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got the plates made, shimmed into place, and tack welded on one side. Then I ran out of MIG wire. Tomorrow I guess.

I got an invoice today letting me know that my payment has been accepted at Braasco (Automation4Less). Butt..... I only see the roller blocks, no rails. Had to send another email back to figure that out. And now I'm dealing with someone else to boot. My order was placed, and paid for on 4/28, it's now 5/6 and I have no idea if my order is even placed yet.

If I had it to do over, I'd get quotes from the various suppliers that LM76.com sells their product through. It might be cheaper, and if I'm going to have to haggle with the company after the sale to get the product, why not do it beforehand and try to get a better price or at least better service?

EDIT: Just got an automatic reply letting me know that the new person is out of the office till monday. Awesome. I hit MSC up for a quote on the rails and blocks. I'll let you know when I get it back.

Last edited by INTJGuy; 05-06-2016 at 02:42 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The lower frame has all 6 plates installed and welded.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160507_164141-jpg

And now it's blue.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160507_203813-jpg

That's pretty much it for the lower frame. I thought about doing the rails next, but I don't have all the pieces, plus I really want to dig into the boxes.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160507_234022-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Instructions
    Installing v-rail: Center v-rail on long 3”x3” extrusion. Mark all holes and install tee nuts at each mark. Angle tee nuts slightly towards center of extrusion. Replace v-rail and install the socket head cap screws.
    Unpacked the extrusion and the Vrail

I then positioned the two together, made a mark with a sharpie at every hole, and then removed the Vrail and installed the T-nuts.

Then reinstalled the Vrails, and added bolts. Note, I recommend getting it placed where you want it before installing bolts, and not tightening the bolts until they're all installed. Everything gets kind of locked into place as it's tightened down.

I should note that I have no idea what "Angle tee nuts slightly towards center of extrusion." means, but apparently it either doesn't matter, or it's a self solving problem, cause it all went together fine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160507_225537-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160507_231330-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160507_233805-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good.
    I am interested to see how the Vrails work out.
    On a side note, I usually install the nuts loosely on the back side and then just slide them all into the extrusion slots when possible. There are times when that isn't possible like when I mounted the vacuum table top. Then it was nice to have the slip in type nuts. Otherwise if you forget to slide all the T-nuts into place at final assembly, then it won't be the final assembly.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Installing gear rack: Cut gear rack to 54” for 4’ gantry and 66” for 5’ gantry. Clean gear rack with a scotchbrite pad and alcohol and dry with a white paper towel. If paper is not completely clean, repeat. Apply acrylic foam tape to gear rack. Wipe extrusion clean with alcohol on side opposite of gear rack and let dry. Center gear rack on extrusion and align with the top of the extrusion per the print. Apply pressure to the gear rack and tape.
    Took one of the gear rack segments and cut it to 66" on the chop saw, cleaned it thoroughly and applied the supplied tape.

I clamped 3 pieces of steel to the extrusion to act as guides for where I wanted it installed at.
    The gear rack was then installed and clamped into place.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    On a side note, I usually install the nuts loosely on the back side and then just slide them all into the extrusion slots when possible.
    Bit of irony here. That's exactly what the instructions say to do for the pan.

Insert bolts and tee nuts into the cable track support pan. Slide into slot in the bottom of the extrusion per the print. Center the pan on the extrusion and tighten bolts.
    Bolts and T-nuts installed on pan.

The pan however would not slide into position. The self locking feature I described earlier is caused by a portion of the t-nut that sticks up into the slot. I had to flip the t-nuts over to get them to slide in when installed on the pan. I don't know which way is "correct", but the V-rail is locked in, and the pan is not.

Then the final shot of it right side up with everything on it for this step.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-3m-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-placing-rack-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-clamps-rack-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-tray-jpg  

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-tray-installed-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-done-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

See prints HDG RED and HDG CAR RED
    1. Assemble the belt reduction units to match prints. Center the bearings on the side plates and install the 3/8” x 7/8” long bolts and jam nuts. NOTE: At this point, loosely install the shaft and use a square to verify that the shaft is perpendicular to the plates. If not, tap the shaft to square. This must be completed before the reduction plates and timing sprocket are ssembled. NOTE: Retaining compound is required between the timing sprocket and shaft. DO NOT apply retaining compound between the bearings and shaft. DO NOT apply retaining compound to the gears or small timing sprocket on the motors until final assembly when the location can be verified.
    I'll be assembling the Y-axis belt drive / motor mounts here. The X-axis units are similar.
    You WILL NEED the prints to look at while assembling. Print them off and tape them to the wall or something.

I began by finding the plates and bolting two bearing assemblies to them. Pay attention to orientation.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160510_000040-jpg

Next bolt the two plates together using long nuts in between as a spacer. Then install the shaft.

You will need to check the shaft by inserting something in between the plates that can be used to see if the shaft is off on a slight angle. I used the aluminum handle of a square. It's tricky to find something big enough to be accurate, but small enough to get in there. The adjustment is to loosen and move the bolts holding on the bearing blocks. You'll know it's pretty close when the shaft just shoots out and you have to do one of those flying-ninja-grabbing-a-squirrel-in-mid-air maneuvers.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-shaft-jpg

Remove one of the plates, then put the large timing gear on the shaft, and reassemble. You can now line up the end of the shaft with the outside of the bearing. Then center the gear between the plates, and lightly tighten one of it's screws on the shaft.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-install-gear-jpg

Disassemble and get the shaft and gear out without moving it. I installed a bushing on the shaft (from the x-drive) to allow me to remove the gear, add loctite, and get it back into the same spot. Remember to clean up the excess loctite.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-loctite-jpg

You can now re re assemble. Be sure to add the belt as it can't be installed unless dis assembled. You can tighten the set screws on the bearings, and add the gear. Do not loctite the gear. It gets moved later. (maybe)
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-done-belt-jpg

The next step is the attachment of the motor, which I don't have yet, so that's going to have to wait a bit. I should be able to work around without it for awhile longer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick note. I got an email back from automation4less. It looks like they split my order onto two different invoices. I have the invoice for the blocks (backordered), but nothing on the rails yet. I guess it'll get here when it gets here.

Downloads
    Uploads

You installed gear rack using double tape, is that strong enough to hold gear rack in place when force applied while machine running.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In a word, yes. This is some really really high grade tape, and it's being applied over a large surface area. The force being applied would have to shear the bond across the entire 66" length of the rack in order to break it loose.

I know all the Precision Plasma machines run this type of tape, and I suspect a great many other machines do as well. I've never heard of a failure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The x-axis reducers are the same except:
    A. The plates are differently shaped.
    B. The shafts are slightly longer.
    C. The addition of a steel collar on the shafts. I left the allen wrench in it for this picture.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160511_002620-jpg

I realized while assembling the 2nd x unit that I was not getting the shafts square. I'm going to have to go back and re-square them. The plates are 1-1/8 apart, so I'm going to try and find something 1" square to get a better check with. I may be able to get some ground keystock tomorrow.

Then...... When I got home tonight, I found a box with speed demon bearing blocks in it.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160511_005253-jpg

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160511_005307-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by INTJGuy;1875064 my package from 80/20 showed up (Aluminum Extrusions).

[IMG
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=318284&stc=1[/IMG]
    Was the 8020 included in the gantry kit? Or was it a separate purchase?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast