CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project

Thread: CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project

Hi,

Here's a CNC plasma tubing notcher I put together. It'll take a 144" length of material. It's a 4 axis machine(x,y,z,a) I added the additional axis so I could eventual cut square and rectable tubing, but for now I'm just sticking with round. I also made a breakaway torch holder, because it's really easy to knock the torch when feeding tubing through. I also have provisions to mount a belt sander on the opposite side of the plasma cutter, so it can clean the tubing before it cuts it. I hate cleaning off tubing to weld it so I figured I'd kill two birds with one machine.

I put it together from CNCRouterparts.com, Kelling Electronics, some eBay purchases, and some random stuff laying around

Please ignore the temporary tubing guide. I have plans drawn up for a nicer one, but haven't had the time to finish it yet.

All of these pics are from before it was wired and painted, but most everything is in place.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project-img_1130-jpg   CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project-img_1194-jpg   CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project-img_1153-jpg   CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project-img_1193-jpg  

CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project-img_1156-jpg   CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project-img_1132-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job!
    I like the breakaway torch older design, looks easy to relocate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Job! can you post some pics of the other side of the Y axis or the long side?

Downloads
    Uploads

The only tough part of that design is holding onto a long tube. You could use some 2 or 3 wheel V brackets on stands or weld onto the frame if you get a wild hair.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking about adding rolling tube supports. I just need to figure out how to make them quickly removable when the chuck gets close to the front of the machine. I'll post some pics of the long axis when I get a chance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was able to cut up an 8' piece of tubing with only the front support, but cutting a bit slowly. I think if I really cranked up the speed it could possible start whipping a little bit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project-image-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am in the process of building something very similar. Do you have any pictures of the inner workings of your rotary axis?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm out of town at the moment and I don't have a photo of the internal mechanism, but it is really simple. I attached a photo of the back of the carriage. The small top pulley is attached to a stepper and the large pulley is connected to the shaft that is supported between two bearings. Then there is a front plate that bolts to a cheap 3 jaw chuck. The shaft is only 1", so I don't have a through hole, but it's not too big of a deal for me. It's be easy to change to a through hole with bigger bearings, but I already had the 1" bearings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project-image-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is essentially what I had planned as well, just curious what others had done. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default tube cutter

Jordan

Nice work.

What software did you use, and how do you program it?

I need to cut 6 inch tubing and would like to build a machine like this.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rooies13 View Post
    Jordan

Nice work.

What software did you use, and how do you program it?

I need to cut 6 inch tubing and would like to build a machine like this.

Dennis
    I use mach3 to run the machine and sheetcam to make the tool paths. I designed this machine to handle a max of 6" diameter.

There's a rotary post for mach3 that makes it pretty easy. When doing only rotary cutting I just wrap the y axis around A axis and for holes and whatnot I use the y axis as standard.

I also use bendtech to export dxf files of notches. It takes a little bit of work to layout the tubing, but still saves time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jschulze View Post
    I use mach3 to run the machine and sheetcam to make the tool paths. I designed this machine to handle a max of 6" diameter.

There's a rotary post for mach3 that makes it pretty easy. When doing only rotary cutting I just wrap the y axis around A axis and for holes and whatnot I use the y axis as standard.

I also use bendtech to export dxf files of notches. It takes a little bit of work to layout the tubing, but still saves time.
    Hi thanks

Where does one find mach 3 for plasma cutting, i see there is only router screen sets?

Dennis

Last edited by rooies13; 02-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm just using the standard screens set at the moment. It's not ideal I guess, but the code runs just the same. I just use M3 for torch on and M5 to turn it off, no torch height controller on this machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm just using the standard screens set at the moment. It's not ideal I guess, but the code runs just the same. I just use M3 for torch on and M5 to turn it off, no torch height controller on this machine.
    Thanks, will give it a try.

I need to build something soon because we need to cut 400 pieces of 6`` tubing.

This setup will save us a lot of time.

Thanks for posting your design.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Plasma Tubing Notcher Project

Very nice!

Hello jschulze
    Would you have plans available for your notcher?

Does not have to be free or professionally laid out!

Thanks
    Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

Jordan: You have everything you need to use our new Pipe Wizard. It comes with a PipeFit plugin for SheetCAM that takes user input and draws the pipes and the joints and displays in 3D and 2D . Then you use our Rotary Wizard for MACH3 (screens and profiles) and the special POSTs for SheetCAM and it loads all of the values in MACH when you load the g code. You can get a free trial of the pipefit plugn by clicking the buttons on this web page.

Downloads
    Uploads

jschulze,

What is the length of the rack?

Thanks
    Ken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What's the software are you use with MACH3? Thank's