New Machine Build 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table

We are starting a new build and were are going to document it from start to finish.

Its going to consist of a 4x8 iplasma table from Precision Plasma
    Water table using GreenCut fluid
    Hypertherm Powermax 65 cutter
    Dragon Cut electronics package from CandCNC

Were using Corel Draw x6, SheetCam and Mach3
    We are also going to be featuring and demoing products from Cascade Metal Designs and Steel F/X

We are going to upload updates as often as we can we also have a website dedicated to the build that you can follow:

Check it out: Desert Fabworks CNC Plasma Build

We expect to brake the crate open in the morning and start building the table.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1201-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1202-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1203-jpg  
    Desert Fabworks LLC -Fort Mohave, Arizona
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oooooooo! Sounds exciting!

Downloads
    Uploads

Did not get very far this weekend. Hit some snags when we un crated the frame and found some parts missing. Great customer service got a call back on Sunday from the owner and a fedex tracking number.

Also had a few problems with installing and getting the electronics package working. I though that I was computer tech savvy but this is kicking my butt, I'm sure its something simple. Nothing that a beer and a steak and some sleep cant fix.

Here are some pics for this weekend.

I also put up a quick video showing our old machine that were replacing

VIDEOS

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1228-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1229-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1233-jpg  
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

Downloads
    Uploads

The pan was delivered from the fab shop today. Forming 5 x 10 sheets of 1/8 was a little out of my capabilities.

Though I was going to go crazy today chasing my tail trying to get Mach and my controllers set up. Turned out that the serial port header on the Motherboard was bad.

Switched to a USB to serial converter and so far everything is working Great. I have heard horror stories about the usb to serial so not sure if I will keep it or get a pci serial card.

Need to weld in the slat supports and the plumbing connections so I can drain the table.

Got to love all of the bumps in the road on a project like this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-pan2-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-pan3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a bunch of work getting the water pan set. Precision Plasma the manufacture of the table provided plans for fabricating the water table. I modified the plans a little.

I went with 1/8 plate formed into a pan using their dimensions to fit the table. Their plans included an integrated slat holder that was plasma cut in to the plate then a 120 degree bend used to form a lip. No one in my area could plasma cut a sheet over 4 x 8 nor could they bend a 120 bend on top of the 180 bend. So I opted to use their alternate design.

I used 1.5 x 1.5 angle welded along the edge with 3/16 gaps.

They specified 3.5 in 1/8 flat stock for the supports. 3.5 inch flat stock is crazy expensive at almost $40 a stick and i needed 10 for the table. I opted for 2.5 in which was a quarter of the price.

To make this work I added a 1/2 support to raise the slats up off the floor of the pan and help with fluid flow. I also opted to have the slats sit 1/2 below the rim of the pan.

I will fill the table 2.5 inches deep and have 1/2 gap between the fluid and the part being cut. I think this will workout ok but its the first time I have done this so we will see.

Their design did not call for a center support rib but I added one and it made a big difference.

The slats slip in nice and easy but lock in once in place and I do not get any movement.

Yes the steel in the drawing is brand new, my steel supplier delivered some very rusty stock and they did not have enough. I hate cleaning brand new things!

I put more photos on the build website than I could post here: Desert Fabworks CNC Plasma Build

More updates coming soon!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1265-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1268-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1276-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1272-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It has been way too hot and humid to work lately. So much for a dry heat here in Arizona.

I got the plasma table built / set up. One of the very nice things about getting a kit form table like we did is how easy it is to set up. The table is the iplasma series from Precision Plasma.

It was very easy to set up and with 2-3 three people could be completed in under 2 hours. Taking pictures and documenting the process slowed us down a bit. That is really nice to be able to have a 4 x 8 table up and ready in that amount of time with only simple hand tools.

The entire frame came powder coated blue. The bends were all uniform and no tool marks showed through the powder coat. The welds on the trolleys and the gantry's were all tig'ed.

The water pan Should drop right in I hope!.

If I was not doing the water pan I could throw some slats in the pre cut holders and hook up the electronics and be cutting.

I have a few more things to build though before I'm cutting. Here are some of the pics. I could not fit all of them here so the rest are on the build site:
    Desert Fabworks CNC Plasma Build

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1237-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1242-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1243-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1247-jpg  

4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1246-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Got a little more done. I got the stepper motors installed and the torch ran through the cable carriers and switched over to the mini machine torch and got rid of the large gear rack collar.

I fabricated up a cart / rack to hold the 55 gallon drums that will be my sump system for the table liquid. Still having a lot of different thought about how that's going to work. I really want to pressurize the barrels to move the fluid up the table and let it drain back but a little worried that the cap is going to pop off and I will loose it all on the floor. It should only take about 5 psi to move the fluid up but we will see.

At least the rack for the barrels is solid and fits perfect between and under the rails so that I can move it out for service and changes in the future. I have a small shop and have almost everything on wheels.

I'm going to start working on a cart that will hold the plasma cutter, computer, and electronics controller unit.

If any one has tried a sump system like this before I would love to hear your thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1255-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1288-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1299-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1307-jpg  

4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1308-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What did the water pan end up costing you if you dont mind. Just the materials and bending it, not the slats or holders.

Downloads
    Uploads

For the Water pan: 5 x 10 sheet of 1/8 mild steel formed into to a pan per specs corners welded and delivered to my door it was $250.00 Not sure if that was a good deal but the place that ended up doing it for me was the only one that I could find to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads

With the help of 5 friends I got the water table lifted into place in the plasma table base. It fit! Very excited about that.

I plan on welding in the drain bungs and plumbing my sump system this week finally.

I made a little progress on the rolling cart that will hold my computer, plasma cutter and my Dragon Cut electronics box and an UPS system. I have to fab up the slide out drawer that will hold the keyboard and mouse and install the gas strut shocks that will raise the lid that will hold the monitor.

I looked at a bunch of other peoples photos of how they set up their electronics and almost settled on using a pre-built rolling tool cart but decided to go fully custom so that this unit would slide under the table when not in use and hold everything in one place.

The idea is to store this under the table and when I go to use it, slide it out from under the table. The lid with the monitor will fold up into a vertical position with the help of some gas struts and it will have a slide out drawer / tray for the keyboard and mouse.

Pull up a rolling stool and I will be all set. I'm big on keeping my wires and cables under control. I hope to make this setup as clean as possible. As soon as I can get everything set and tested I will send it all out to powder coat.

Getting close to being done!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1540-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1545-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1547-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1549-jpg  

4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1550-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Its been tough getting work done on this project lately. 72+ hours a week at the day job does not leave much fabrication time lately.

I did make some progress on my computer cart. I both hate and enjoy the custom fabrication and all the bolt it on try it take it apart and repeat a thousand times.

I got the gas struts installed for the flip up monitor panel. It works great! I have changed struts many times which is easy but figuring out the mounting points and the the load vs the leverage and finding a strut that is not designed for what you want to do and making it work took a bit.

I was going to enclose the cart more and put panels on the sides but I figure that since the norm temp in the shop is about 110 I had better leave is open for some ventilation.

I need to mount the Dragon cut box so that it sits up off the floor and figure out how I want to mount the emergency stop button and it should be ready for powder coat.

I have been dreading the plumbing set up for the tanks and the water pan so I have not done anything with that in a bit. Maybe I will work on that next.

Thanks for all of the ideas and pictures you all have been sending!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1563-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1564-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1565-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1566-jpg  

4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1570-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1573-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Lookin good so far RW. When I first seen the size of the lid on your cart, I thought you were going to have a 46" big screen in there for a monitor..lol.

One suggestion, if you are looking for mounting ideas for the bladerunner, you could put a skin on one side of the cart and flush mount it. That would free up a little more breathing room for the computer and the plasma cutter. You could also fully enclose the cart and put a filter housing and filter on the opposite side to the bladerunner and an exhaust fan on the back panel.

Brad

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I saw a 27" monitor on sale today and almost got it. I think I will give this a try for a bit and see how things go. Definitely a possible upgrade for the future. It's a decent size monitor but that lid makes it look small.

I was going to turn the blade runner like you suggested but I think I want to have the front facing out so I can see that all the lights are lighting up like they are supposed to.

I think I may try a bar that comes out from the side of the cart and runs across the back of the blade runner and screws into the mounting holes in the back of the case. This would allow me to elevate it off the floor and allow access to the plugs and switches on the bottom.

Temps in the shop are about 110 in the summer and have caused me to have some shorter than normal duty cycles in the summer on my welding and plasma cutters. I'm worried if I enclose even with an exhaust fan It will get too hot.

I plan on having a cover over the cart when not in use to help with keeping the dust and dirt from the shop out of everything. Hopefully with the water table and the exhaust fan above I will keep my plasma dust to a minimum.

Downloads
    Uploads

I took all the advice that I got and put an 8 foot 5/8 Copper Grounding rod in just outside of the wall where the Plasma Machine Sits. It was not fun you would have though I was putting the rod through pure concrete.

I ran individual grounding cables using 4 Gauge Copper stranded wire from the table work lead / slats, the gantry, the table, the computer, and plasma cutter. I kept the ground cables as short as possible. Having not used a ground at all on the last plasma system and not having problems I don't expect to have any problems on this one with all of the grounds.

I added a few items to my computer cart including a back panel and bar to use for mounting an running cable and a support bar to mount the Dragon Cut system box on.

In the photos the Green cable are the grounding runs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1651-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1575-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I finished my table sump and drain system. I have been worried that this would work during the entire build. I had people tell me it wont, but I'm happy to report that it does work and it was fairly inexpensive to build.

Most has been documented in my earlier posts. The only thing that I would change at this point is to use larger diameter pipe and tubing. The table takes about 10-15 minutes to fill or drain. Not what you would consider fast, but I really did not need fast. By the time I get ready to cut and get everything set up its an easy 10 minutes. I don't plan on draining or filling on a daily basis so I think it will be fine.

One of the other things I did that is both good and bad is that I welded the drain bung on the top side of the bottom of the pan. This caused it to sit 3/16 above the bottom of the pan. The intention was to help limit the amount of crud that drains back into the sump system. I think it will help cut down on debris flowing back into the sump. But is does not allow the system to drain completely. It leaves about 8 gallons in the pan. Which is not bad and if I was going to clean it out that would be coming out with a shop vac anyway.

I found that it only took about 5 psi to create some great fountains during the fill. I did not have a pressure gauge on the system the first time I tried it. but added one to keep an eye on the pressure in the drums. I installed shut offs in several places in the system to allow for maintenance and to deal with a problem should it come up.

I let everything set under pressure and full of water over night to check for leaks and problems. It passed so everything has been sent out to powder coat.

Cant wait almost time to start cutting.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1587-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1589-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1596-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1654-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Still waiting for everything to come back from the Powder Coater its taking much longer than expected so I took the time to upgrade my air delivery system. I have a 4.5 hp compressor with two 80 gallon tanks. From there is runs through a hose and into a 25 foot coil in a tube I can fill with ice to chill the tube and the air during long run times and hot humid weather.

It then goes into the primary oil and water separator. Then into the first 3405-60 Coalescing air filter. It then runs into the shop. In the shop it goes through a second water separator and through a regulator and into the second 3405-60 Coalescing air filter. From there its off to the tools and the plasma unit.

This should provide me with all of the clean dry air that I will ever need. Maybe in the future I will invest in an air dryer but for now this is an inexpensive and effective option for me now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1676-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1681-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1688-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Its been a bit since I have posted on the build. I was in a standstill waiting for the pan and other parts to come back from Powder Coating. There Back! I can see the light at the end of this build.

I think I only have a couple more posts in this build!

So I got everything back from Powder coating. I installed all of the components in my computer cart, set up the sump drums and hooked everything back up to the table. I had the pan powder coated. Little expensive but looks great.
    when I had the pan powder coated I had them tape off the groves in the center of the table that holds the slats. The center support is my grounding back bone. This is where I have my grounding connection from the plasma machine and my earth ground hooked up to.

I also painted the slats, Ya I know they are a consumable and are going to get torn up and its not necessary ect. So before you kill me in the comments over it I know. It was mainly for looks. I did a couple of things to make sure there were not going to be any problems. I did not paint the top edge, bottom edge, ends, or a small section in the center where it contacts the grounding ridge. I checked every slat and made sure I had the lowest possible resistance, and continuity. Not that I will need it but I installed an secondary ground lead that attaches to the primary ground and is a 10 ft cable with a clamp that I can connect directly to the work piece.

I got everything in place checked level, checked square for the table and squared the torch head. I was amazed that I did not have to adjust the torch head it was perfectly square on all four sides. Precision plasma did a good job on the torch mount.

I powered everything up and started running the torch around the table. Everything worked great. All of the home and limit switches worked just as they should. That is where I stopped. I did not fire the torch or cut anything. I have a few more things that I want to configure and some settings to tweak. Heading off to the SEMA show next week so it will have to wait a bit. It does look good though.

I could not fit all the pictures here but there are lots and more info on the build website at: Desert Fabworks CNC Plasma Build

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1719-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1732-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-p1014448-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1735-jpg  

4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1768-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Just got back from the SEMA show in Las Vegas had a great time, but its hard not to. I put the covers on the table and machine. These are just for when we are not going to be using things for a bit. They take less than a minute to put on or take off and will keep the grinding dust and general shop dirt off the components. Hope to have some cut pictures up early next week. Need a little time to recover from the show.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-img_1689-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

This has been a great build! Ran into a few hurdles here at the end and between the SEMA show and FABTECH show I have not been around much to put in the final touches. But it is done and everything is working!!

I have some trial and error left to find the sweet spots in everything but that is for other posts down the line.

I will be keeping the build website going: Desert Fabworks CNC Plasma Build I will keep posting progress reports and changes I make here.

I will be reviewing a few products like the Green Cut cutting fluid and other accessories that I add on and I will be trying out the Patina Finishes from Steel FX.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions from everyone along the way!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-open-plasma-computer-cart-finished-jpg   4x8 iplasma, Hypertherm Powermax 65, DragonCut, Custom Water table-top-view-finisehd-plasma-table-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Those painted slats look wonderful, we will need after-cut pictures to see if it is worth the effort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast