New 4x4+ plasma table project

Thread: New 4x4+ plasma table project

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New 4x4+ plasma table project

Hey everybody,
    new member, long time lurker...anyways started putting some of my components together believe I might have an issue...

table is going to be a 4'+ x 4'+ water table, all ball screw.
    New 4x4+ plasma table project-img_0002-jpg
    BTW - all parts used and cheap.. except for plasma unit, steppers and driver/PS

X and Y are 55" THK linear actuators that appear to be standard NEMA 23 motor mounts.

Z is some weird but cool looking servo driven ball screw (see pics)
    New 4x4+ plasma table project-img_0004-jpg
    PROBLEM IS: The servo on the Z is a Rockwell Samsung model CSMT which by all accounts measures at 46mm bolt circle (close to nema 17 but not...) attached to a planetary reduction unit which is a Neugart PLE 40.

I'm hoping somebody out there knows what can be done here? I'm thinking adapter plate? but don't see any existing for this app?

I'd love to keep the gear reduction and adapt it to NEMA 23 or NEMA 17? Anybody have any ideas???

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anybody have any advice? Neugart is of no help...so far. Nobody here has replaced a servo with a NEMA 17 or 23 stepper?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's some nice looking hardware you've got. I don't think you will want to use the planetary reduction on the Z axis. You may need to make your own adapter or modify the plate to mount the motor directly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fiero Addiction, Thanks for reply.

Just a dumb question but.. do they purposely make servos different bolt patterns then steppers?

I was under the impression that they were interchangeable (provided you have the necessary electronics to run what you wanted)?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just updating this thread.. made a little progress lately.

The THK linear ball screw rails are model GL20 's with NEMA 34 adapters.

The Z is custom (repurposed piece from EBAY) as said before.. being driven by NEMA 23.stepper. I had the motor adapter machined after getting the run around by the the gear reduction manufacture. The stand offs are just threaded rod nuts adapted together. I spun the center adapter up on a mini lathe to convert the NEMA 23 .250" shaft to the gear reduction's 8mm input.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 4x4+ plasma table project-img_0131-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used 5/8' aluminum plated and had two uprights waterjet'd to connect the Y axis to the X axis.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 4x4+ plasma table project-img_0086-jpg   New 4x4+ plasma table project-img_0129-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just another update... the X and Y come together finally. On to Mcmaster Carr to find more hardware.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 4x4+ plasma table project-img_0156-jpg