PIC based DRO - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: PIC based DRO

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bill,

first off, you might want to think about adding a donate button to you signature!4 years later and there are people still interested in your work.

You got me to join another forum just to ask you a question. Pretty simple one it should be:

Do I need visual studio to get your program to install? I keep getting:

unable to register the dll ocx regsvr32 failed with exit code 0x4

on both my computers.

looking forward to your response.

Regards

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi George,

The program is written in VB5, so you should not need VS at all.

It was designed for Windows 95. I have not tried it on Vista or Win7, so that may be the problem (can you install on a VM or as XP?).

the install script ireads:
    Source: "d:\My Documents\VB5 projects\Logger\Vernier.exe"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "e:\VB\System Files\MSVBVM50.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: onlyifdoesntexist uninsneveruninstall
    Source: "e:\VB\System Files\OleAut32.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: onlyifdoesntexist sharedfile regserver
    Source: "e:\VB\System Files\OlePro32.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile regserver
    Source: "e:\VB\System Files\AsycFilt.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
    ;Source: "e:\VB\System Files\Ctl3d32.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
    Source: "e:\VB\System Files\StdOle2.tlb"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
    Source: "e:\VB\System Files\MSCOMM32.OCX"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile regserver
    Source: "e:\VB\System Files\SCRRUN.DLL"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
    Source: "e:\VB\System Files\comcat v471\Comcat.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile regserver

so there are only 4 files that require regserver.

4 years later and there are people still interested in your work.
    4 years? I started this in 2005! that's the problem!

There are new scales out now that do not work with the PIC code (so be warned) At some point (way in the future), when I get one of the newer 21 bit devices I'll add it to the PIC.

Meanwhile, I get people like aadityadengle waving bs flags at me, because they cant get it working!

Is does work with the right scales:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-qcTCTcxk"]PIC based DRO - YouTube

Last edited by BillTodd; 02-07-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post

Meanwhile, I get people like aadityadengle waving bs flags at me, because they cant get it working!

Is does work with the right scales:

???????????????
    IT DID NOT WORKED FOR ME. BUT STILL WORKING ON IT.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aadityadengle View Post
    ???????????????
    IT DID NOT WORKED FOR ME. BUT STILL WORKING ON IT.
    My guess is that you have igaging type scales (or yet another chinese type that I have not seen)

The Igaging scales are quite different and in some ways better, but they will require a different PIC code:

21 Bit Protocol Scales | shumatech.com

(BTW A big thankyou to Shumatech for making their research public

Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bill,

thanks for the answer. I am trying to install it in windows XP. It is apparently trying to register inpout32.dll into the Regserver. will investigate and write back.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Hi Bill,

thanks for the answer. I am trying to install it in windows XP. It is apparently trying to register inpout32.dll into the Regserver. will investigate and write back.
    Ah! I think you have the wrong version. The inpout.dll is only required on my POS board. (not sure why it wont install though)

Give me a day or two and I'll compile a different version

Bill

Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK this is a versio without the inpout.dll so should install OK (fingers crossed because I have not got a virgin machine to try it on)

Bill

Attached Files Attached Files
    Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorted! Thanks Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

@Bill

Can we have an interface with pc for an incremental encoder which gives RS422 differential quadrature output?
    more details about the encoder as attachment

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@Bill

Can we have an interface with pc for an incremental encoder
    I'm afraid I don't have the time to work on this ATM I doubt the little PICs I'm currently using would be able to keep up with the scales (and hence lose counts) but it could be done fairly easily using the PICDSP chips, as they have quadrature hardware.

One alternative you could try is EMC2 (for linux) I believe you can set this up using the printer port as input

Bill

Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DRO Design discrepancies.

Reposted to correct forum - apologies.

Hi,

I was looking with great interest at Bill Todd's DRO designs, and I really want to build this one - I am quite at home with electronic assembly and PCB manufacture - but although an impressive amount of work has obviously gone into the design, the information downloaded appears to be fragmented and inconsistent, therefore I am having problems verifying schematic to PCB layout.

Having downloaded the Zip package for Version 1.2.05, I found the PCB layout PDF file, but there was no schematic. I downloaded the schematic separately from the forum, but one does not verify with the other. The PCB layout has numbered components and nets given, the schematic has no numbering - just question marks. I have tried tracing by eye, but there are several discrepancies. eg pin 7 of the DB9 goes nowhere on the schematic, but is connected on the PCB; there are 2 diode cathodes to 3.5V on the PCB, but only 1 on the schematic; there are 2 resistors to DB9 pin 4 on the PCB but only 1 shown on the schematic. I gave up at this point as clearly the schematic that I have is not the one that the PCB was netlisted and routed from.

Is there a schematic and PCB layout that are a matching set somewhere, or alternatively a definitive schematic somewhere that I can confidently use to netlist and route my own PCB from?

I really don't want to spoil a good project or waste time and money by going off half cock, so I trust some kind soul will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why don't you send a PM (private message) to Bill?
    I always believe in getting information directly form the "horses mouth".... He's friendly, helpful and doesn't bite

Joe in Aus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PIC based DRO

Hi All

Anyone wishing to build this project should bare in mind that I designed this some years ago for use with the 1.5V (positive frame) callipers that were around at the time. Modern callipers and scales have moved to a 3v (positive or floating frame) that require a different ground and power arrangement.

I've pretty much given up developing the PC application as there is a better Andriod tablet based app being developed by Yuriy
    (Yuriy's Toys: Android DRO Project)

I will at some stage update the PIC code to work with Yuriy's DRO but I have little time these days (personal reasons) so it could be a while before i get a 'round tuit'

Regards

Bill Todd

Bill

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456