Pic programming? velleman k8048 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pic programming? velleman k8048

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I fixed mine a while ago now. Turns out I'd put the 5v regulator in place of the other one and vice versa. So my advice is, check the board as thouroughly as possible.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default K8048- Xp

Hi!
    I found the problem: it was something due to the XP. I tried on Windows 2000 and it workes fine, but I still cannot make it work on XP.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tunde View Post
    Hi!
    I found the problem: it was something due to the XP. I tried on Windows 2000 and it workes fine, but I still cannot make it work on XP.
    That's odd, it works fine for me on XP. Have you got the latest version of the software?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tunde View Post
    Hi!

Hi, so I assume you managed to get it working :rainfro:
    But I am now confused

When I originally joined this thread it was to pass on advive from my experience with the programmer (constuction of).......

Mine worked fine in XP (Having been using XP since the first edition).
    So I am totally ..........

Let me know if you manage to sort the XP problem out.....

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

XP likes to 'protect' its ports, so software cant write directly to the serial or parallel ports by default. There is a DLL or something that allows you to bypass it, maybe this is required for the operation. I myself have one of the kits, but I have had no probems so far.

Also, I noticed that I went out and paid around 40 euro for my kit in maplin, but the PICKIT 1 is available from microchip for less... as is the PICKIT 2 which also supports ICD.

*kicks himself*

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Programs compatibility mode

Hi! I find something that helped me. I changed the program compatibility mode, so it runs now in compatibil mode to Windows 98/Me, and now it works fine.
    I hope this helpes others, too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Prt access.

Quote Originally Posted by The7thGuest View Post
    XP likes to 'protect' its ports, so software cant write directly to the serial or parallel ports by default. There is a DLL or something that allows you to bypass it, maybe this is required for the operation. I myself have one of the kits, but I have had no probems so far.

Also, I noticed that I went out and paid around 40 euro for my kit in maplin, but the PICKIT 1 is available from microchip for less... as is the PICKIT 2 which also supports ICD.

*kicks himself*
    When you access a port, there is a bit table (low level somewhere). If the program has access to the port (bit set or not set. can't remember) you get direct access. If you don't have access, operating system intercepts I/O to port, and filters it. For example if it you try to read the port (probably 0x170) for an IDE drive, the system will intercept your access, and just return 0xff. It says the drive it is MINE.
    You are not going to kill the disk drive, but if you access a port that the system allows, it may get filtered, translated, and actioned.
    eg. Access a video register in a window which is a virtual screen, and it may seem like you are talking to the hardware, but the driver actually fakes all your port I/O. If you OWN the port, then it is yours. That is where something like a DLL or driver can setup. Some smart footwork in DOS can usually make it work too. GOOD LUCK.
    Hard bit is fighting (for) the hidden or missing documentation...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been reading this as I made one of these boards last year. Some of my observations was that the mclr pin requires 13 volts to be reliable for programing. I use a walwart 15 volt supply as reccomended. If you check the drop of the regulator you will see why they reccomend that voltage.
    Also yesterday I downloaded an upgrade from the velleman site. It has a bug fix for winxp sp2.
    I am trying to learn all this and along with some programing which makes for learning experiance.
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Possible Solution to errors with Velleman 8048 PIC Programmer

Hi.

After messing around with my laptop (Win2K) for hours getting the very same errors as everyone else, I finally got it working by disabling ActiveSync on my laptop. (You can uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs if you don't intend to use it - you can always re-install if you change your mind later). Seems it was hogging the COM Port (even though PIC Programmer was appearing to find the board).

Give it a go - My version of ActiveSync was 3.7 - I do use it, but I want to use the PIC Programmer more at the mo.

Good Luck!

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Programming trouble with K8048

The software requires an upgrade. Go to the Vellman site and download the new 2.6 version. I couldn't program anything and kept getting the same errors.. but downloading the update fixes it for XP...

Hope this helps

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI, I'm wanting to have a go at making a sefvo controller and was thinking of using the ELM DC servo controller design at http://tinyurl.com/yur36m which uses the AT Tiny 2313 PIC chip. However, while the site has the firmware as assembler listing, I realise that I don't actually have any idea how to get it compiled and into the right places in the chip. The last time I did any chip burning was back in the 1960's when I was playing about with the very earliest home PC designs - 8K RAM and tape storage with the operating system all on Eproms! Can anyone please give me a clue as to how to proceed or point me to a site which may do the same... Thanks, Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Download MPLAB from the Microchip website... free and easy to use. You'll still need a programmer, but there are plenty of inexpensive designs on the web.

Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Downloads
    Uploads

hello
    i am in my spare time going to start with this platform.
    it is untested and will no doubt need some modification,
    but you are welcome to try it.
    it has the current monitor from the uhu servo controller.
    i have taken parts of the routines from microchip app an899
    and applied it to there simulator.
    no hardware proto type yet.
    but i have the chips.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pic programming? velleman k8048-pic_servo1_sch-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Download MPLAB from the Microchip website... free and easy to use. You'll still need a programmer, but there are plenty of inexpensive designs on the web.
    Thanks, I'll do that. Sorry about the double post but I didn't know which forum would be most appropriate.
    Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    Thanks, I'll do that. Sorry about the double post but I didn't know which forum would be most appropriate.
    Ian
    The AT tiny and ATMega processors are arm processors.. I don't think the MPLAB software will do you any good as the AT2313 is an AVR processor, not a PIC processor.. Your best bet would be to go to www.avrfreaks.net and see what you can dig up there in the way of an assembler or a c compiler etc for it.

Anyways, in GENERAL, you run the assembler to assemble the source code into object code. That is usually , with these small processors, also linked by the same application into a runable block of code. that runable block of code is then downloaded into the avr (or pic or what have you) and then you reset it and the micro will start running the code (Assuming everything is right for it to be able to do so.)

Good luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Horsedorf View Post
    The AT tiny and ATMega processors are arm processors.. I don't think the MPLAB software will do you any good as the AT2313 is an AVR processor, not a PIC processor.. Your best bet would be to go to www.avrfreaks.net and see what you can dig up there in the way of an assembler or a c compiler etc for it.
    Thanks, I found an editor etc. there called WinAVR which looks like it will do the coding - now I just need to sort out a cheap programmer...

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have made the pcb router board from the following site.

http://www.cq.cx/pcb-router.pl

My problem is i have converted the asm file to hex and loaded it to the PIC 16f877a but i can not compile the software.

Can anyone help me compile the software on the site or show me what software is available for this PIC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cjgaus View Post
    I have made the pcb router board from the following site.

http://www.cq.cx/pcb-router.pl

My problem is i have converted the asm file to hex and loaded it to the PIC 16f877a but i can not compile the software.

Can anyone help me compile the software on the site or show me what software is available for this PIC.
    It would appear that they wrote it in PIC assembler, all you need to do is go to www.microchip.com and download their MPLAB program which is a text editor / compiler / assembler all in one IDE. The assembler for it is free so you can assemble that program and turn it into a hex file you can load onto the processor easily with it.

Good luck.
    HorseDorf

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cnc

Oh i have compiled the asm file with mpasm and converted it to hex and loaded it. Sorry my explenation of my problem was bad. My problem is i can not compile the software used for the pc. The software is a cnc router program but its all in different C files and i cant compile it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cjgaus View Post
    Oh i have compiled the asm file with mpasm and converted it to hex and loaded it. Sorry my explenation of my problem was bad. My problem is i can not compile the software used for the pc. The software is a cnc router program but its all in different C files and i cant compile it.
    OHHHHHH.. GOTCHA.. I THOUGHT, after reading your posting, that that might have been the case, but I wasn't sure. Yeah, that's a toughie cuz you need a c compiler, and to be honest *THE* c compiler they compiled with (possibly) if they used a bunch of custom library calls that are included in the c library that came with their compiler. I didn't look at the code, so I can't say for sure. Although you might see if you can find a freebie c compiler that compiles for the (pc?) platform it was written for and..just.. try it.

Hopefully there is a make file of some kind you can use that will build the thing for you.

sorry I can't be of much more help than that.

Horsedorf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast