Lithophane Backlighting...

Thread: Lithophane Backlighting...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lithophane Backlighting...

Attached is a mermaid back lit with a LED box that cost $10 plus $5 for the wooden frame. The corian was cut with a 45 degree V-bit in one pass with PhotoVCarve (of course).

Bill Schober
    Pine Grove, CA

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lithophane Backlighting...-mm_led_off-jpg   Lithophane Backlighting...-mm_led_on-jpg   Lithophane Backlighting...-mm_fl-jpg   Lithophane Backlighting...-mm_fin-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bill,
    As always your work is spectacular. Where did you get the LED light?
    I cannot wait until I can afford the V-carve package but especially the Photo carve. It is out of my range right now for hobby stuff.

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

That is soo cool.
    I can'tsseem to find ebay/google any LED backlit panels for under several hundred bucks.
    Did that one "fall off a truck"? Please share your $10 source if you dare!
    Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Bill,

I have three on the way. Let me know when you find a deal like this on the V-Carve package(Ha Ha)

Thanks again
    Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just have to say Bill that your work inspired me to get in to cutting Lithophanes. I thank you for sharing your excellent work with all of us.

Is there any chance you could post a link to the original pic of the Mermaid?

Thanks again,
    Frank

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Backlighting Lithophanes

I went to the link there and it looks like they're not being offered anymore.
    Check this one out as an alternative:
    LED Light Panel 5″ X 7″ | Lithophantastic!

Let me know if they start selling that other one again. I wonder if there is a way to remove the frame border from around the edges of the panel?

My work is at [URL="www.lithophantastic.com"]http://www.Evergraphs.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Missing Links

I don't know why you say they don't have them anymore and then give a link to your own store page for $38 ones...
    They still have them for $15 at Small LED Photo Frame (LEDFSPF)
    As far as I know they have never stopped selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithophantastic View Post
    I went to the link there and it looks like they're not being offered anymore.
    Check this one out as an alternative:
    LED Light Panel 5″ X 7″ | Lithophantastic!

Let me know if they start selling that other one again. I wonder if there is a way to remove the frame border from around the edges of the panel?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mermaid

I will try to find it for you later this week.
    I am having another knee surgery in the morning so I will be having more time on my hands in a couple days.
    You can email me at bill@humblesticks.com to remind me if I forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymanf View Post
    I just have to say Bill that your work inspired me to get in to cutting Lithophanes. I thank you for sharing your excellent work with all of us.

Is there any chance you could post a link to the original pic of the Mermaid?

Thanks again,
    Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey...
    Do you think the price is too high to get a photo V-carve?
    I recommended you a new product Click-n-carve engraver.
    They have two models- bigger one and smaller one.
    And they all comes with the two software - EDIT software& CNC software.
    The smaller one was sold by Rockler.
    or you can go to a website to get more info.
    BRAVOPRODIGY
    hope it's a helpful info. for you.
    Have a nice day!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi bsimages,
    I said they were out of stock because they were out of stock . . . for many months. I kept looking for the product and it wasn't there. I wanted to buy some!
    I kept looking for a good light panel to backlight my own lithophanes and could never find one. So, frustrated by my fruitless search to find a good backlighting solution, I designed my own. I don't even offer a direct link to it on my retail website because I'm not interested in being in the business of selling light panels. But, it's such a great product that I thought people might be interested in buying them. I don't make money off of them.
    I'm glad this forum is available for sharing good information and resources.
    Quick correction--the light panels were never priced at $38.
    Sorry about your confusion. :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to challenge the sale of processed products, too.
    (the skill level of the choice of materials is immature)
    (Also, No sense of design)
    I wonder if I should do a study and how it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like there is a totally new source for Lithophane Backlighting. This is current as of 2013. The other links appear to be dead or out of stock for years now. They are a website called Lithophane Lights. They are my supplier for back lighting for my lithophanes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lithophane Backlighting...

Here is how I have been making LED backlights. I start with a dead LCD computer monitor. You can find these at used computer shops or computer/electronics recyclers for little or nothing. If you ask nicely, they may even save the dead ones for you. You then take them apart and strip them down to get the pieces of the backlight you need.

1. The clear plexiglass with the etched pattern on the back. Most are a pattern of small dots.
    2. The white plastic sheet that goes behind the plexiglass.
    3. The one sheet of frosty looking plastic sheet that goes in front of the plexiglass.

You can cut the plexiglass and plastic sheets to the size you need. I use a table saw to cut the plexiglass but other saws would work, Jig saw, Hack saw, Band saw.... Or you could take it to a local plastics supply shop or cabinet shop and have them cut it for you. I cut them a little larger than the Lithophane by about an inch so there is 1/2 inch overhang on all sides. Sand the cut edges fairly smooth, starting with 100 grit and progress to 1000 grit (auto supply store). They don't have to be perfectly polished, just nicely smooth.

You then get on Ebay and order some of this...
    White 5M 3528 SMD 600LED 120LED M Flexible Light Strip Car Auto Home Decor | eBay
    Just in case the link goes away, search for "5M 600LED White" and you should find some of the same thing.

You will only need the LED strip on 2 edges of the Plexiglass. Top and Bottom edge, or Left and Right edge, whichever you prefer. Cut the LED strip to the appropriate lengths and solder 2 wires from one strip to the other long enough to reach along the unlit edge of the plexiglass. The LED strip can be cut every inch as shown by the little scissors on the strip. The wire can come from some of the wire left over from the LCD monitor.

You'll need one of those little "wall wart" power adapters that has an output of 12 V DC, Don't worry about getting the polarity wrong, it won't damage the LED strip, it just won't work with the wrong polarity. Just touch the wire ends to the LED strip contacts to light it up to determine which polarity is correct.

Here is one of my more recent Litho's

Lithophane Backlighting...-fr_375_size640-jpg
    Lithophane Backlighting...-fr_376_size640-jpg