PhotoVCarve! - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: PhotoVCarve!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Salty72,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

When your machine is ready to cut I'd recommend you take a look at the video tutorial and pdf documents that will show you how to cut lithophanes. It's really very easy to do, but there are a couple of tips that will point you in the right direction.

Video Tutorial

PDF Manual

Let me know if you have any questions,

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

will do,

One Q' I do have is... are the litho's cut as a -ve image? and if so could you reverse this to cut it as a +ve image and would you therfore create an image something simalar to the likes of MasterCam Art

http://www.mastercam.com/Products/Art/default.aspx

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You certainly can cut +ve images in exactly the same way as Mastercam Art, but you need to understand that the results from this approach are very dependant upon the highlights and shadows in the original photograph. In fact mastercam cleverly point this out on their web page ".. sculpted piece using the highlights and shadows as guidelines for height."

What this really means is that most photographs will look a bit strange when machined because the dark areas such as hair will cut very low and light areas such as teeth and eyes will be high. It is possible to use image editing software such as PhotoShop to enhance images to make them work with the light = high and dark = low concept, but this is pretty difficult to do.

Having said the above, when machined to a relatively shallow depth the photographs do look ok.

If cutting wood it is also possible to stain the surface with a dark colour and sandpaper / polish the high points, and this gives interesting results

Take a look a the carved designs > http://imagecarve.com/id17.html

PhotoVCarve will let you do all 3 processes,

PhotoVCarve lines / grooves - Very quick machining times but needs stain applying to the grooves for contrast
    Lithophanes with a ball nose cutter - long machining times but good results and no finishing required
    Greyscale 3D height map with ball nose cutter - long machining times and variable results that depend on being able to stain and polish the piece

I hope this helps,

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's an interesting job Randall Newcomb at 222 Artisans has recently completed using a combination of vcarving and PhotoVCarved grooves to very quickly transfer the picture of a customers dog onto a wooden panel.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you guys heard the news?!?
    VCarve Pro 3 will be out around the end of June and it is a free upgrade for all Vcarve Wizard owners!
    It has many new features which can be seen here:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../New_in_V3.htm

Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac
    PhotoVCarve will let you do all 3 processes,

PhotoVCarve lines / grooves - Very quick machining times but needs stain applying to the grooves for contrast
    Lithophanes with a ball nose cutter - long machining times but good results and no finishing required
    Greyscale 3D height map with ball nose cutter - long machining times and variable results that depend on being able to stain and polish the piece

I hope this helps,

Tony
    The lithopanes look great. One question: Are you indicating that the software does not use a greyscale 3D height map?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello rweatherly,

PhotoVCarve can be used to machine greyscale images. The 3D shape is simply calculated from the variation in the shades of grey in the image, with Black being the lowest and White the highest.

We have just release VCarve Pro 3.0 and this version imports PhotoVCarve designs so additional elements such as text and decorative borders etc. can be added to make a complete design.

See What's New in VCarve Pro

Hope this helps,

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Tony Mac,

Can you tell me how this was done (any video) ?

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../Texture_4.jpg

How did you get that random look?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Switcher,

The Random Texturing is a new machining strategy in VCarve Pro. It's very, very easy to create and produces stunning effects very quickly. Other design software will allow 3D textures to be modelled, but these then have to be raster machined using relatively small stepovers and typically take hours to cut.

The totally new approach in VCarve Pro results in very quick machining times.

Here's a short video (no audio) showing how it's done in the software.

Random 3D Texturing Video

Note - We launched VCarve Pro on Friday as a free upgrade for all customers.

The Free Trial Version will be updated next week so you can make the texures for yourself.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VCarve Pro3

The attached sign was made with the some of the new text features of VCarve Pro3. It is 4 feet long and made of pine with a blue deck stain and clear lacquer finish. The new software is GREAT! It is user friendly and has fantastic new features. Good job Tony!
    I made the sign for my favorite charitable organization (The Sonora Alano Club) as a way to hopefully help increase the number of people who pay the non-compulsory dues. The names below the sign are some of those paying members.

Bill schober
    Sonora, California

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PhotoVCarve!-welcome_small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Tony Mac,

Thanks for the video in post #89, Very cool software!

Jerry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Low cost material for cutting Lithophanes!

The hardest part of machining a lithophane is often sourcing the Corian or Plexiglas material. Corian will usually give the best results but is also the hardest to find and most expensive.

PhotoVCarve customer Stew recently found a great source of excellent Low Cost material,

Cutting Boards from the cheap dollar store!

Here are a couple of lithophanes machined by Stew on his Home built router.

Fantastic lateral thinking by Stew!

Tony

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Those are great. I found my Corian only after many phone calls to counter top contractors, most of whom had no interest in dealing with me for their scrap material.

I will be raiding the dollar stores this weekend. Brilliant.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you want to try a small piece of Corian, you can order a 4x4 sample for $2.00. It's 1/2 inch thick. Someone needs to try both and compare the results.

http://www.coriansamples.com/prostor...let/StoreFront

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

White Corian definitely gives the best results, but it's difficult to get hold of and pricey when compared against the plastic chopping boards.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3D Grayscale Machining

Although most of the posts in this thread talk about and show PhotoVCarve being used for lithophanes. The software can also be used to machine 3D grayscale images like the one shown below by customer Damian (Dman).

This method simply machines light regions of the photograph high and dark regions low. Damian has then stained the wooden panel and and wiped / sanded the higher regions to create more contrast in the finished piece.

Some CAD systems have the option to export a 3D model as a height map / image file and these can also be machined using PhotoVCarve as shown in the images below,

3D Carving

From this image,

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That gives a really cool looking effect Tony.

Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Downloads
    Uploads

Tony Mac,

Is it possible to contain the "Texturing Toolpath" to a specific area? I don't need to add texture to the waste part of the material, that just adds time, tool/machine wear to my projects (see attached image). In my image, I only need texture inside the tabs.

Also is it possible to add texturing to a bmp/jpeg in "PhotoVCarve"? This link is close to what I would like to make (only, with my own image), look at the 4 wildlife scenes at the bottom of the bar.

Link:
    http://www.carvingpatterns.com/images/bar-lg.jpg

Thanks, Jerry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PhotoVCarve!-111-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jerry, as for your first question do you mean you want to have a textured background around some other stuff? If so check out Vectric How-To on pocketed texturing: http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr..._texturing.htm

Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jerry,

Yes, as Jay has said, the texture can be limited to cut inside a specific
    area by selecting the required vectors. In the Open Sign example shown
    below I offset the vectors for the Oval & Text Inwards to stop the Ball
    nose cutter gouging into the walls of the VCarve regions.

The offset process is very easy - select the text and oval and the offset
    tool automatically does the correct inwards offset for all the selected
    vectors. For a more detailed explanation take a look at the Tutorials on
    the web site

The Bar looks fantastic and I'd recommend taking a look at the 3D models
    on the Vector Art 3D web site. There's some amazing wildlife designs that
    will make fantastic panels.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PhotoVCarve!-texture_1-jpg   PhotoVCarve!-texture_2-jpg  

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast