Help with Huanyang HY02D223B

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Huanyang HY02D223B

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with Huanyang HY02D223B

I've posted this question in the DIY area, but I realize it might be more appropriate here.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=68736&page=8

I recently purchased a spindle/VFD combo and the inverter manual is in Chinese. This is a 2.2kW spindle and the VFD will take 220V single phase and produce 220V three phase at up to 400 Hz.

I'm concerned that I don't even have enough information to turn this over to my electrician, or that I'll be able to work through the setup and basic functionality once the wiring is done.

Even so, I may continue to plod ahead but would like some help with understanding the wiring diagram. The seller has informed me that the inputs/outputs look like this:

1) R (L) to 110V single phase
    2) S to 110V single phase
    3) T (N) to neutral (???)
    4) P+
    5) PR
    6) U to motor pin 1
    7) V to motor pin 2
    8) W to motor pin 3
    9) E to ground

I've gotten some good advice from 123CNC, but did not think there was any neutral connection. This seems consistent with other 2.2kW VFDs.

Has anyone successfully wired/operated one of these units? I'm on the verge of returning it and would find someone who has one working before I punt. Is it time for a Hitachi X200?

Thanks,

Steve

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Huanyang HY02D223B-vfd-wiring-png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stevespo; 03-01-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added link to other thread

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Single phase clarification

Stevespo,

Perhaps a second chance. Its the R and S 110Vac single phase designation that doesn't sit well with me. 110Vac single phase will have a hot (L)ine and a (N)eutral line and the hot will measure close to 110V to ground and the neutral will have little to no voltage ~0Vac to ground. When you jump up to 220V single phase, both (L)ine and (N)eutral are hot and will both measure ~110V to ground, and 220V L to N.

The diagram implies, when using single phase, connections are made at R/L and T/N, and no indication of a jumper requirement to S. Many three phase only drives will have circuitry to verify all three legs, R,S,T, are connected or the unit will fault and not operate. A common workaround, when using an intended three phase unit in single phase supply (derated, general rule of thumb 2x vfd rating for application) is to jumper one leg to S.

The diagram thus implies that only the R/L and T/N connections are needed ad single phase connections are an intended option, meaning rated for service (no derating required).

The manual, if you could read, should address all of this. If you could repost the manual or link to it, I will see if I can get someone to translate the manual to verify.

There should also be a sticker or label on the unit with the voltage requirement and the 2.2kW rating. If it indicates 220Vac, I would give it a go with 220Vac single phase connecting at R and T.

After reading the posted spec, wow very well written (what is tow- phase?). Is the manual in chingrish or native mandarin/cantonese?

The spec sheet does suggest 220V power input, no phase designation, but also indicates possible 380V supply, which strikes me as odd. Personally, I would still give it a go with 220V single phase at R and T.

The Hitachi's come with an Excellent manual in North American english, and I am willing to bet available in Japanese as well.

Last edited by 123CNC; 03-01-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Read the posted Word Doc

Downloads
    Uploads

In the case of N. America you do not connect the neutral for 240v 1 phase in.
    I believe the diagram shows installations in Europe etc where one leg of the 240 is referenced to ground (neutral).
    In that case it looks like they use R & T.
    If the VFD does not require a jumper to the unused phase. It is rarely a problem if you do put one on anyway, as the input is invariably just direct through to a 3 phase bridge.
    I would try it first without.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I really appreciate the help. My entire house was recently gutted and rewired, and I have a great master electrician who I can rely on to do the work. I'm just trying to understand what is involved. As a side note, the whole issue of ground/neutral has always confused me.

The panels in North America have two "hot" bus bars each carrying 120V, a neutral bar, and a ground bar. The neutral bar is also tied to the main (earth) ground wire. I notice in my new panels that the white (neutral) and copper (ground) wires are mixed interchangeably between the ground bar on the left and the neutral bar on the right. On my old panels, the copper always went on the left and the white always went to the right.

A 4 wire 220V clothing dryer will have black, red (both hot), white (neutral) and copper (ground) wire. There are two options for current to travel back to the panel.

A 3 wire 110V appliance will have black (hot), white (neutral) and copper (ground).

A 3 wire 220V tool, like my 3HP bandsaw, has black (hot), white (hot, but taped black at the box to mark it hot) and copper (ground). So, in this case there is no true neutral. Just two hot wires and a ground.

If I am understanding this correctly, this is the case with the VFD. Two hot (110V each) and a copper ground. The hots will go to either R & S, or R & T, and the ground goes to pin 9 - clearly marked as ground. There is no need for a separate "neutral".

The Hitachi X200 manual states that 10 GA wire and a 30A breaker are required. Given the 2.2kW/3HP motor this seems pretty generous, but I assume we'll follow this for my unit as well.

Thanks again!

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Comparison 2.2kW Hitachi X200 wiring diagram

FYI - here is a copy of the Hitachi X200 wiring diagram. Looking at this, I would assume the 2 hot leads go to R & S, and no neutral being used for 220V single phase. My Huanyang VFD seems to follow the same nomenclature.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Huanyang HY02D223B-hitachi-x200-wiring-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

The North American method is to supply a residence with a 240v centre tapped transformer supply, the centre tap (Neutral) of which is connected to Earth ground at the panel, this is the only point where the ground should contact the neutral.
    In Europe, it is common to supply 240v only, this is commonly one leg of a three phase star connected transformer, where the star point is grounded and made a neutral.
    Effectively 1 phase 240 & neutral.
    I think I analyzed once what would happen here if the neutral were connected to a R.S. or T input and I believe it will have no effect as it will never conduct through the 3 phase bridge.
    You should always supply the ground, however.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok - some success!

We wired the inputs R & S for the two 110V "hot" leads, and connected the ground to pin 9. The motors went U, V, W to pins 1, 2, 3 (soldered). The VFD/spindle appears to be working quite nicely, and I'm able to control forward/reverse, and vary the output from 1 Hz to 400 Hz.

The spindle is VERY quiet. The small 24VDC cooling fan in the VFD is louder than the spindle, even at 24K RPM. I have not installed this on my CNC machine, or hooked up any water cooling yet, but so far it looks very promising. I am hoping to receive a translated manual, but the Hitachi X200 manual was very helpful in terms of installation and basic functionality.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang Inverters

Hi Guys,

I was going to start a new topic on this but I think this thread has already answered a few of my questions so it made more sense to post here.

Yesterday I was browsing ebay for a 3kw 240v 1ph to 3ph inverter drive and came accross the Huanyang drives for the first time.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VARIABLE-FREQU...3A1|240%3A1318

I have never heard of this brand before and I would have to buy it from china which probably limits my chances of warrenty repair or refund should anything go wrong.

However these things are cheap. I've not been able to find a 3kw inverter drive for as little or close to £200 anywhere else so I'm tempted to take a risk.

Steve (and anyone else who have used these things), I'd be greatful for your opinion of the Huanyang drives. Whats the build quality like?, does yours work ok?, is there anything you dislike about it ? would you buy another one for another machine? do you know the manufactuers website? does it have a reverse motor option? does it have an input for taco/encoder feedback?

Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

Downloads
    Uploads

Default limited experience so far

Dom,

So far my experience is limited to turning on my spindle and varying the speed and the direction (forward, reverse). The unit appears to be very full featured and well made. I have not tried cutting anything or running under any type of load. In terms of features is seems very comparable to the Hitachi X200 series.

I did finally locate a copy of the manual (in English). I'm not certain about the tachometer/encoder input, but the manual may have more details. There are certainly plenty of switches to control behavior, a 10VDC input to control spindle speed, and a couple of general purpose outputs.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm waiting to hook up the VFD/spindle once I've moved my machine back to my home shop. Check with the seller about warranty/repair info. Sending back to China is not ideal, but I would assume you are covered for some time period with a default warranty.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that. Looks quite promising afterall. An email to the seller on ebay revealed there is a 12 month warrenty during which time they pay for any shipping.

Where did you buy yours from?

Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

Downloads
    Uploads

I got mine from linearmotionbearings2008, who has sold to others here on the forum. Very professional, fast response, and easy to work with. I think the item shipped on a Friday and I had it on Monday (from China to Boston, USA!)

http://stores.ebay.com/linearmotionbearings

If you search for the model #, it looks like you can buy them directly from the manufacturer for 700 yuan. Not sure if this is current/correct pricing, but that's about $100/US. I only discovered this after I purchased mine, but it might be worth looking into.

Google translated webpage for VFD

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received mine with a Chinese manual too , the spindle is 2.2 kw that came with 4 poles connector , I wired pin 1 to the U connector in the vfd ,Pin 2 to V and pin 3 to W as shwon in the diagram posted in another thread I have also set some of the VFD value PD00 to Pd12 , but unfortunatly the vfd display keeps flashing ... could you please post your VFD seetings , do I need to attache the 4th pole in the spindle to the vfd ? any help will be appreciated
    PS: the VFD is the same as yours (HY02D223B)
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Your wiring sounds right to me. Ground to pin 9, 220V (110V/110V) to R,S and 1,2,3 to U,V,W and pin 4 left alone. Someone suggested wiring motor pin 4 to ground, but I did not try that.

When I powered up the VFD, I didn't change any values or do any setup. I used the cursor pad to cycle through the various modes and used it to spin up the spindle. That's about as far as I've gotten. I'll try and take a look tomorrow and see if I can't get any other information for you as far as configuration goes.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well my VFD keeps flashing with R00.00 displayed ... I really have no idea how it does work I tried The jog and cursor pad but I couldn't turn On the spindle, so any input will be welcome
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

hi, im having some issues regarding this VFDs and motors, i could make linearmotionbearings to provide URL for the website, neither send me english manual. luckyly i got it from here. thanks so much.
    advise to you all, never make a factory reset. the VFD has many features, that even the seller cant teach you how to set it.
    i got another unit today for another router. (yes, even when i couldnt make the 1st one work ok ) this spindles seem quite good. but the VFD is a little complex to set up. i worked with micromaster and similar ones. and those others are easy as 123-
    i will check the second VFD with the parameters setted by linearmotionbearings2008 and post it here.
    right now. when i turn the motor on, it make funny/chirping (is that a word?) noise and the VFD goes into error mode.
    keep in touch

Downloads
    Uploads

still cant make the potentiometer to act on speed. i show the frec on screen to go up or down as i want. but it has no effect on the speed outout. any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

I've just come in on this thread. I recently bought the Huanyang HY02D223B drive and 2.2kW spindle from 'linearmotionbearings2008' on ebay. The vendor was very helpful and helped me with the initial settings and I got my spindle running very sweetly. However, there are things I still need to do like use a potentiometer to control the speed rather than the front panel and ultimately I want to run the VFD from Mach3. There are so many variables to set and with only the Chinese manual to hand, this was not going to be easy.

I sent an email to the original manufacturer of the VFD asking for an English manual and in the meantime Chai (linearmotionbearings) helped me with some. I even contacted a Chinese student at the school where I taught to help me with translation and just as I was going to start paying the student, the manufacturer came up with the English manual. I have attached the file as it is more complete than the one previously attached by 'stevespo'.

It looks like quite a few are experiencing problems setting up their VFDs and spindles. If you have the 2.2kW spindle, pd004 and pd005 need to be set at 400. To get the potentiometer working, pd002 needs to be set to 1 and if you are using 0-10v, pd070 needs to be set at 0.

If you need any more help, I cannot guarantee I know the answer but if I do, I will only be too ready to help. I know the frustrations but believe me, it is worth it in the end. My spindle is working beautifully and an equivalent, European setup would have cost me four to five times as much - I am a happy bunny.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

hi mike, thanks for posting the manual. yesterday i received it from linearmotionbearings at my email.
    < i was having big truble to make the VFD to run properly. tried many times and ended up doing a factory reset twice..
    theN it started to work as one can expect.
    Its a very good setup. i got 2units 1.5Kw and 1 of 2.2Kw. the 1.5Kw is air-cooled and works excellent.
    still didnt have the chance to test the 2.2, as its watercooled.!
    its as simple as you mention on your post. set those parameters, and youll be up and runing.!
    MARCOS

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Marcos,

The reason linearmotionbearings was able to send you a copy is that I sent him a copy so he could use it for all his English speaking customers

I have the water cooled spindle and use a small, water feature pump that I bought from here It all works extremely well. I was a bit dubious at first as I did not like the idea of water all over the place if I had a leak but, so far - not a problem.

However, if anyone else, reading this thread, can tell me what to put in the water to keep it from growing strange cultures, I would really appreciate it. I have tried bleach but after a time it still manages to grow things

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi digital life,

Try setting pd072 to 400. This is the highest frequency for the analog input. I think the factory setting is 50 and at that frequency you will not see or hear a perceptible difference. This confused me to begin with till I saw the parameter in the list.

Mike

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast