Need Help! excellon quiet drill spindle 1010

Thread: excellon quiet drill spindle 1010

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default excellon quiet drill spindle 1010

First post, have read many helpful forums and almost every topic I needed is available. However I cannot find information for the following. Look for help, thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I just acquired 3 excellon quiet drill 1010 spindles from a drill machine. I did not get the controllers or any documentation for these. Looking for manual, specs, data and suggestions. Also need help on what VFD to use with this thing.
    I have 3 home built cnc machines and would like to try one of these spindles.

It appears to be a water cooled spindle and apparently the collet is controlled by either air pressure or vacuum.

I will probably only use it to max of 20K RPMs so wonder if I still need the water cooling.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using one of these for a homebuilt router. I will tell you my observations and advice.
    1) you must use the water cooling. Their is no other way for the spindle to get rid of the heat it generates.
    2) The collet is controlled with air pressure. I use about 100 psi on mine.
    3) The collet will slip on anything other than light cuts with an 1/8 inch bit. I try to limit tool engagement to less than .050" and even that sometimes will cause the bit to pull out. It works well for smaller dia. bits such as 1/16".
    4) I am running mine at 25000 rpm (about 450hz)
    5) I believe the spindles are rated at 1 hp

As far as settings go, I don't recall the specifics. Once you have your drive, feel free to contact me and I will try to help you with your settings.

Good luck
    Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Great Information

Thanks Much Frank.

I did find the info about the 1 hp and also that it was water cooled. When I removed the spindles from the drilling machine I just cut the hoses and got a face full of something, couldn't tell if it was antifreeze or oil.

How much water flow does it need?

Don't like the sound of slipage of the bits. I generally only use 1/8 max but I do cut .18 dp in pvc one pass with my present spindle setup which is a sherline spindle with a DC servo motor running PWM.

I was thinking needed higher then 450hz to get to 25K which would probably be the highest I would go anyway. They are 80K spindles.

Maybe I should sell the three spindles I have and pickup something which is air cooled and takes a bigger bit. Wonder what they are worth?

I have talked with the PCB shop that scrapped the machines and they are looking for the manual and possibly a controller. That would help me make up my mind.

Sounds like it is a perfect spindle for Lithophanes and light routing.

Is it very noisy?

Thanks again and I will contact you again when I get a controller and do setup.

Earl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi There,

Let me be of some help, the 1010s are for drilling any radial load will kill the bearings. Since u picked them up from an auction im sure u got them real cheap but I would expect the collets to be worn out.

If the tools slip you will need new collets for about $50 each+ water cooling is a must.

Without water running these will heat up very fast and that will kill the bearings first, then the windings. IIRC you need a mild flow of about 2l/min.

All the best

Dev

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks Dev

Thanks Dev for your input.

I did get these off a working machine that was replaced by the PCB shop I work with through my job. I have been told they are in very good working condition but do to throughput issues they replaced the machine with a six spindle one.

Have not decided if I am going to use these or not. The pcb shop is going to give me a controller and are looking for the manual as well. It sounds like it still is a pretty nice spindle for light loading milling. They used it both as a drill and router.

Earl