Need Help! Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.

I have an air compressor with a 3ph 3hp motor. I bought the proper size VFD to power it. I really know nothing about programing the VFD. However, I wired it using the magnetic starter and it worked and motor stopped when to pressure(120psi) when I drained some air to 90psi it threw a code on the VFD. I reset VFD and it started just fine. I also wired the motor direct to the VFD and used the pressure switch running the wires to the GND and fwd terminals on the VFD as per a video on youtube. But the motor does not turn off at 120psi. So. Is there or What settings do I need to program in to the VFD?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeon View Post
    I have an air compressor with a 3ph 3hp motor. I bought the proper size VFD to power it. I really know nothing about programing the VFD. However, I wired it using the magnetic starter and it worked and motor stopped when to pressure(120psi) when I drained some air to 90psi it threw a code on the VFD. I reset VFD and it started just fine. I also wired the motor direct to the VFD and used the pressure switch running the wires to the GND and fwd terminals on the VFD as per a video on youtube. But the motor does not turn off at 120psi. So. Is there or What settings do I need to program in to the VFD?
    Yes you will have to have Terminal control Parameter set, you did not say what VFD you have, there really is not much to program, for what you are doing, most VFD drives default to a standard AC motor

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It may pay to stick an unloader valve in the air line that allows the motor to come up to full rpm until going on line.
    The could be achieved with one of the outputs of the VFD set to Up-to-Speed.
    An unloader is often used in the case of larger compressors.
    Ensure you set the right pole count for the motor also, most are 4 pole motors.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your replys. HY04D023VFD. The air compressor does have an unloader valve. The video on youtube didn't specify any settings programmed into the VFD.

ericks

What is your motor's voltage?
    Also your motor's Kw?
    Is it possible to post an image of the motor "name plate"...?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your replys. HY04D023VFD. The air compressor does have an unloader valve. The video on youtube didn't specify any settings programmed into the VFD.
    Have you got a link to the video, the unloader pressure switch normally has high voltage across it, but if he is just using it as a switch then that should work on those connections

What Parameters have you set

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no link to the video. But search VFD running an air compressor. I'm not sure what parameters I should/could use and what to set them at. I have it set to 60hz as far as parameters go. Not sure about the rest of them. It starts up when I plug it in and push start on the VFD, It builds up to 120psi the air switch activates but doesn't communicate that to the VFD(even though it is wired to the FWD and GND terminals) like the video. I can turn it off manually and restart it manually with the VFD and it does just fine even with 120psi in the tank.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I took some pictures of my manual and wrote down the setting on the VFD. But it ain't letting me find them to post them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I took some pictures of my manual and wrote down the setting on the VFD. But it ain't letting me find them to post them.
    Ok here is all you need to set as you are using just a start / stop for your Compressor Motor, note there are no variables being used with these settings, meaning you are set at 60Hz and the motor rated speed

You may have the Jumper like photos below, you may not, but if you have this you will need to change it

Never Turn Your Compressor Off if it is Running, always Wait for it to Unload Before Turning it OFF

Huanyang Mactec54

60Hz AC Motor Compressor

PD000=0 ( For Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock )

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )

( J1 Also May Need to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=60

PD004=60

PD005=60

PD007=10

PD008=240 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=60

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)
    ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=240 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= ( Motor Max Rated Amps)

PD143=4 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144= ( Max motor Speed ) ( 3000 Can be used )

PD72=60

PD73=60

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.-j1-jumper-switches-front-panel-control-terminal   Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.-j1-jumper-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I don't have a PD141 or higher then PD35. It goes from Pn1 thru Pn35. It only has 1 buss terminal row. 12v out, 5v out, 5v in, 10v in, 20mA in,5v Fout, GND, FWD, REV, RST, DO+, D1-, D2 Jog, Lk, Lb, Lz. I hope this helps. I'm not sure what to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

PD050 -PD053 is to assign an output, you could wire a relay to one to switch the Unload valve and set for frequency reach .
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I don't have a PD141 or higher then PD35. It goes from Pn1 thru Pn35. It only has 1 buss terminal row. 12v out, 5v out, 5v in, 10v in, 20mA in,5v Fout, GND, FWD, REV, RST, DO+, D1-, D2 Jog, Lk, Lb, Lz. I hope this helps. I'm not sure what to do.
    Ok then you do not have a Huanyang VFD Drive, you have a copy, What you have is an ASKPOWER VFD, I will post the Parameters for that VFD

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is some to start with, you may need some others also, not all VFD Drives are the same or created equal

AskPower Parameter Settings For 60Hz Compressor Ac motor

Mactec54

Pn01=4 ( Number of Motor Poles Will Display synchronized speed)
    ( Pn01=1 Will Display Frequency )

Pn02=60Hz

Pn03=2 ( VFD Button Control Only ) ( 4= External 0-10v )

Pn04=2 ( VFD Button Control Only 1 ) ( 2= External Control )

Pn05=3 ( This may need changing )

Pn08=10 ( This is adjustable Acceleration and Only is a Starting Number )

Pn09=10 ( This is adjustable Deceleration and Only is a Starting Number )

Pn10=60Hz

Pn11=60Hz

Pn12=60Hz

Pn013=1

Pn014=50

Pn32=1 ( Set to 3 to Restore Default Parameters ) ( Set Back to 1 to ReSet Parameters )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. Will give that a try. Here are the setting as of now. But where do I hook up the wires on the VFD and for the contact switch on the compressor to get it to shut off at 120psi and restart at 90psi. Currently switch is wired to the GND and FWD terminals.

Pn01- 1 Pn02- 60 Pn03- 2 Pn04-1 Pn05- 1 Pn06- 1 Pn07- 2 Pn08- 60 Pn09- 60 Pn10- 60 Pn11- 1.5 Pn12- 60 Pn13- 1 Pn14- 60 Pn15- 30 Pn16- 0 Pn17- 30 Pn18- 0

Pn19- 2 Pn20- 10 Pn21- 20 Pn22- 30 Pn23- 40 Pn24- 50 Pn25- 60 Pn26- 70 Pn27- 10 Pn28- 3 Pn29- 2 Pn30- 2 Pn31- 1 Pn32- 1 Pn33- 32u29 Pn34- 0 Pn35- 65535

Again I Thank all for the assistance I am receiving. It is appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. Will give that a try. Here are the setting as of now. But where do I hook up the wires on the VFD and for the contact switch on the compressor to get it to shut off at 120psi and restart at 90psi. Currently switch is wired to the GND and FWD terminals.

Pn01- 1 Pn02- 60 Pn03- 2 Pn04-1 Pn05- 1 Pn06- 1 Pn07- 2 Pn08- 60 Pn09- 60 Pn10- 60 Pn11- 1.5 Pn12- 60 Pn13- 1 Pn14- 60 Pn15- 30 Pn16- 0 Pn17- 30 Pn18- 0

Pn19- 2 Pn20- 10 Pn21- 20 Pn22- 30 Pn23- 40 Pn24- 50 Pn25- 60 Pn26- 70 Pn27- 10 Pn28- 3 Pn29- 2 Pn30- 2 Pn31- 1 Pn32- 1 Pn33- 32u29 Pn34- 0 Pn35- 65535

Again I Thank all for the assistance I am receiving. It is appreciated.
    You just want to start with the Parameters I gave you, and leave the rest at what is the factory default, so you may want to do a factory Reset if you have changed any of the other Parameters, or you could just set each one to the default

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

All is programed in. Does not stop at 120psi. I have to stop VFD manually.

Downloads
    Uploads

All is programed in. Does not stop at 120psi. I have to stop VFD manually.
    Try changing Pn03 to different numbers from 1 to 3

You may need to add a pot as per snip

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.-pot-setup-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I could but the question is. The motor is wired directly to the VFD. There is a pressure switch that has contacts that will allow the compressor to run if below 120psi. Can i wire that into the VFD so that when it hits 120psi it shuts off until it hits 90 psi it will cycle again?

Downloads
    Uploads

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.-img_0210-jpg   Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.-img_0211-jpg   Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.-img_0212-jpg   Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.-img_0213-jpg  

Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.-img_0208-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally some pictures of the manual and the air compressor. The power plug goes the the socket next to the breaker box which is wired to the VFD, Which is wired directly to the motor. The pressure switch has the smaller white wires coming off it would go to what terminals in the VFD? I hope this helps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast