Need Help! I need more power

Thread: I need more power

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I need more power

Hey guys, I’m looking for some help on a setup for spin testing some pumps. I have a 2.2 kw huanyang vfd and spindle motor 220 single ph input. I have got it to work, (Thanks to threads on this site) but I can’t get it to rev over 2000 rpm with the pump connected and no problem when the pump is not in oil. There is an 8+ amp draw at 2000 rpm. The load on the pump shouldn’t be great than 10 ft/lbs or less than 1 HP at 4000 rpm. Below are some of the settings I have now. I’m not sure is 2.2kw isn’t enough or maybe be able to use a gear reduction box, like 2:1 or just need more power. A drill will run it no problem to 800 rpm on an electric drill (Milwaukee) or 1800 +- with a battery drill. PD1= 0 PD2= 1 PD3= 400 PD4= 400 PD5= 400 PD6= 25 PD7= .5 PD8=220 PD9= 55 PD10=8 PD11=20 PD70=0 PD72=200 PD73=20 PD141=220 PD142=11 PD143=4 PD144=3000 Thanks in advanced for any help.

Similar Threads:
    Jeff Carroll
    Center Point CnC Machining

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I need more power

You say ''spindle motor''. Is this and actual router spindle? 20K RPM or so rating? If so, you won't have much torque. How fast are you trying to run the pump?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, 2.2kw 24k max. rpm. I only need 5k max rpm.

Jeff Carroll

Downloads
    Uploads

A spindle motor is not the proper motor for your application. They will barely run below 5000 RPM Maybe a 4:1 gearbox would work, but you would have to find one that would accept a 20K RPM input> Don't think I have ever seen one rated that high.

Have you done the HP requirement calculations on the pump? Horsepower Calculator - Metaris Hydraulics. It's a function of volume and pressure. Then match the motor to the HP requirement. Many standard 3 phase motors will safely turn at 5000 RPM. Most Baldor 3 phase motors under 5 HP are rated at 6000 RPM max. I wouldn't try that with an import motor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim, The HP to run the pump at 5k RPM figures less than 1hp. I used GPM (12)xPSI(100)x.0007=.84. These pumps use Gerotor style gear. That's why I was thinking this would work. I also haven't seen gear reduction boxes capable of 10k rpm inlet, because that might help me out.

Jeff Carroll

Downloads
    Uploads

You already have the 2.2KW VFD so I would find a later model, USA made, 2 HP, 3 PH, 4 pole (1725 rpm) motor to run the test bench. That should give you enough torque to run your tests. Look up the specs on the motor to make sure that it is rated for at least your max required RPM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, are you talking about a spindle type or regular motor. I thought a regular motor would only run to 3600 rpm.

Jeff Carroll

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm talking about a standard 3 phase motor, like a NEMA 56 or a NEMA 182. As I said above, the small (<5HP) Baldor motors are rated at 6000 RPM max. The nameplate on the motor would be 1800 or 3600 for a 4 or 2 pole motor, but that's it's synchronous speed at 60 Hz, not the max rated rpm.

Another option just came to mind, a 71/4 inch skill saw turns around 5400 RPM. Hang a router speed controller on it and dial it back a bit. Might be enough torque to do what you want.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again Jim, the motor rpm always confuses me a bit. I'm a plumber by trade. lolI will try the skill saw idea for sure. I'll take the blade off for safety.

Jeff Carroll

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tafc7306 View Post
    Yes, 2.2kw 24k max. rpm. I only need 5k max rpm.
    The minimum RPM that you can run these spindle motors is 6,000 RPM below that they have no useful torque, and you have a big chance of smoking the spindle, and sometimes taking the VFD with it

The max torque of these spindles motors is around 20,000 RPM

Not all the Baldor motors can go to 6,000 Plus RPM there washdown motors are there best / cheapest motors for high RPM

Mactec54