Phase Converter/VFD? Spindle recommendations for aluminum milling in US?

Thread: Phase Converter/VFD? Spindle recommendations for aluminum milling in US?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Phase Converter/VFD? Spindle recommendations for aluminum milling in US?

Hi,

So, I was looking to build the router or mill designed by Gabriel seen here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...ml#post1920252. However, I live in the US, so I have 110 V instead of 220 V. With that said, if I am not interested in directly wiring a 220 V plug, would I just need a step up converter (3 times the spindle wattage) and a VFD to convert to 3 phase, or is there more? Also, what spindles would you recommend for someone who will be working primarily with 7075, MIC-6, QC-7, and QC-10 aluminum to create injection molds? Finally, this guy Gabriel uses a Colombo spindle that costs somewhere in the range of $5,000. Is that excessive for a machine made of aluminum extrusion?

Thanks for your time.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Phase Converter/VFD? Spindle recommendations for aluminum milling in US?

Quote Originally Posted by looking4help View Post
    Hi,

So, I was looking to build the router or mill designed by Gabriel seen here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...ml#post1920252. However, I live in the US, so I have 110 V instead of 220 V. With that said, if I am not interested in directly wiring a 220 V plug, would I just need a step up converter (3 times the spindle wattage) and a VFD to convert to 3 phase, or is there more? Also, what spindles would you recommend for someone who will be working primarily with 7075, MIC-6, QC-7, and QC-10 aluminum to create injection molds? Finally, this guy Gabriel uses a Colombo spindle that costs somewhere in the range of $5,000. Is that excessive for a machine made of aluminum extrusion?

Thanks for your time.
    A VFD does not output 3Ph power that you could use to run anything other than a 3ph ac motor, if there system needs 220/240v then you need to have that in your shop for it, a step-up Transformer can work and be used if you have the 110/120 circuit large enough to run it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Phase Converter/VFD? Spindle recommendations for aluminum milling in US?

It appears he is using steppers so you should not need 3 phase to run the stepper drivers.

he could have spent half as much on the spindle on just the rails and ballscrews, so if you cheap out and buy a 300$ spindle, let us know what surface finish you can get...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    A VFD does not output 3Ph power that you could use to run anything other than a 3ph ac motor, if there system needs 220/240v then you need to have that in your shop for it, a step-up Transformer can work and be used if you have the 110/120 circuit large enough to run it
    So... if I order a 220 v rated spindle, I would need a 220 v set up in my shop? A transformer wouldn't work?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    It appears he is using steppers so you should not need 3 phase to run the stepper drivers.

he could have spent half as much on the spindle on just the rails and ballscrews, so if you cheap out and buy a 300$ spindle, let us know what surface finish you can get...
    I believe his spindle is rated for 220v, but he lives in Europe, so he doesn't have the complication I am facing.

Regarding spindle options, I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want it to cost more than everything else combined. I'm still wondering if his choice of a $5,000+ spindle is a ridiculous choice or not...

Downloads
    Uploads

you can get 240vac single phase from a 120v single phase standard usa outlet with a transformer, just as easily as you can pay an electrician 100$ to run a 240v outlet (if you don't want to, or if your insurance requirements require it)

you can get 220vac three phase from a 120v single phase input vfd, but only up to about 1 hp, and this will drive motors only, you cannot drive most any other 3 phase load (resistive perhaps, but who would need that?)

if you supply 240vac single phase to a vfd, you can get 220v 3 phase from it up to about 2 hp. same restrictions apply as above.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by looking4help View Post
    So... if I order a 220 v rated spindle, I would need a 220 v set up in my shop? A transformer wouldn't work?
    Yes a transformer works, have done a few like that, but the spindle size is limited when you use 120v supply to a max of 1.5Kw as the amperage on the 120v supply is double of what output will be at 220/240v, you can run a whole machine from this one supply transformer as it has, you want a 25 to 30 amp 120v supply , here is a transformer, that most are using

So if you have to run a 30amp 120v line, it would cost much the same to do a 240v line, and if you do a 240v line, make it a 4 wire then you can have 120v and 240v from the same line

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLYMMCC?th=1

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Run the wire one time. It cost less up front and down the road. Besides the fact, over time, it pays for it's self in energy savings.

If your dryer is in the shop you could just run a "extension cord"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Get an electrician to pull a 240v line from the panel and use a VFD for the spindle 3 phase power. You want to build a serious machine from the looks of that thing, don't end up having to go with a small spindle for lack of power. this guy Andy seems to have some decently priced spindles, don't know if anyone on here has any experience with them, I don't; just a site a found when I was considering building my own router. Bought one instead. (the router I mean)

Here's the link https://ugracnc.com/index.php/online...ooled-spindles

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eldon_Joh,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Based on your response, it seems that I do have a few options available.

Any spindle recommendations for milling aluminum, particularly MIC-6, QC-7, and QC-10?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 520052 View Post
    Get an electrician to pull a 240v line from the panel and use a VFD for the spindle 3 phase power. You want to build a serious machine from the looks of that thing, don't end up having to go with a small spindle for lack of power. this guy Andy seems to have some decently priced spindles, don't know if anyone on here has any experience with them, I don't; just a site a found when I was considering building my own router. Bought one instead. (the router I mean)

Here's the link https://ugracnc.com/index.php/online...ooled-spindles
    Hmm... So it would be cheaper energy bill wise just having an electrician come out... I guess I just might have to do that or take the "extension cord" advice from chuckorlando. Thanks for the spindle links! They do seem quite robust and affordable.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
    Run the wire one time. It cost less up front and down the road. Besides the fact, over time, it pays for it's self in energy savings.

If your dryer is in the shop you could just run a "extension cord"
    The dryer is in the laundry, which is connected to the garage. So, I guess I could run an extension cord under the door. I don't plan to use the machine day in/day out, but it would be nice to practice making aluminum injection molds in my free time and learn CNC from the ground up.

Anyway, thanks for the response!