can someone help me please!!!!

Thread: can someone help me please!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default can someone help me please!!!!

i have a huge problem, we recently bought a 700watt fiber laser cutter from china and the machine arrived fine and the technician from china is here now setting it up..he just finished setting up the machine but we have a problem with the power..we were told we needed 220 single phase so i had an electrician run a 220 line ahead of time, before he arrived, but when checking the voltage with a multi meter, the tech from china explained that there was an issue with this 220 and that if we turned on the machine from this power, it would damage the machine..im not an electrician, and his english is not great, but the way i understand it, is that 220 single phase in the usa, is basically 2 110 lines but what hes telling me is that he needs one line with 220?? im really lost and when i brought in the electrician to discuss it with him, they didnt seem to get anywhere either because the electricians first language is spanish and this guys is chinese..lol, i was zero help and im sort of lost and was hoping that with the useless description of the problem i just gave, maybe someone reading this could understand what the problem is and how to resolve it? maybe someone understands the two different type of 220 lines im dealing with and how to fix it? the chinese technician seemed to think that using a single 110 line and connecting that to a 110 -220 transformer would solve the problem but the electrician says that pointless because anything a 110-220 transformer would provide, we already have with the 220 line , except that the tech is certain THIS 220 will damage the machine!! ahhhh help please !!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: can someone help me please!!!!

To confuse things more, they both may be right and wrong. It depends on how the machine is grounded. To satisfy the tech, have the electrician install an isolation transformer. 220 in, 220 out, then ground the machine to a ground rod in the floor. That will give you an isolated ground.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by manakawari View Post
    i have a huge problem, we recently bought a 700watt fiber laser cutter from china and the machine arrived fine and the technician from china is here now setting it up..he just finished setting up the machine but we have a problem with the power..we were told we needed 220 single phase so i had an electrician run a 220 line ahead of time, before he arrived, but when checking the voltage with a multi meter, the tech from china explained that there was an issue with this 220 and that if we turned on the machine from this power, it would damage the machine..im not an electrician, and his english is not great, but the way i understand it, is that 220 single phase in the usa, is basically 2 110 lines but what hes telling me is that he needs one line with 220?? im really lost and when i brought in the electrician to discuss it with him, they didnt seem to get anywhere either because the electricians first language is spanish and this guys is chinese..lol, i was zero help and im sort of lost and was hoping that with the useless description of the problem i just gave, maybe someone reading this could understand what the problem is and how to resolve it? maybe someone understands the two different type of 220 lines im dealing with and how to fix it? the chinese technician seemed to think that using a single 110 line and connecting that to a 110 -220 transformer would solve the problem but the electrician says that pointless because anything a 110-220 transformer would provide, we already have with the 220 line , except that the tech is certain THIS 220 will damage the machine!! ahhhh help please !!!!!!
    This is quite easy to do, what is your total amps needed for your machine

I don't think he understands

That the US power supply is just the same 220/240v as there 220v, ( 1 Hot ) 220V Neutral and Ground is the same as ( NA ) USA ( 2 Hot )110/120v and Ground, its called split Phase and will work just the same

Tell him to wire it up it will not damage the machine, if he won't do it you can get one of these Transformers from Amazon at quite a good price this will give you ( 1 Hot ) Neutral and a Ground, using a Transformer like this, will put twice the load on the 110/120v line so if you do this make sure that circuit is able to do it this is a link to 2000W I don't know what size you will need you have to have the complete machine power requirement

This Transformer gives you ( 1 ) Hot 220v a Neutral and Ground

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MXW85A?ref=emc_b_5_i&th=1

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    To confuse things more, they both may be right and wrong. It depends on how the machine is grounded. To satisfy the tech, have the electrician install an isolation transformer. 220 in, 220 out, then ground the machine to a ground rod in the floor. That will give you an isolated ground.
    It is not legal or to code to use a independent Ground rod, if an independent Ground rod is or was used it has to be bonded to the main Ground Rod

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

thank you , he says what he wants is phase to neutral to be 220 and neutral to ground to be zero, evindently it has something to do with the way the machine is grounded..we need 10,000 watts and 26 amps...I ordered a 110-220 transformer and hopefully this will work...the engineer at the company was of the opinion that using a standard 110 line with a step up isolation transformer, will get us the power we need...the transformer did specifically say " isolation" transformer but the company that sold it to be told me that this was the way to go.,...fingers crossed

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by manakawari View Post
    thank you , he says what he wants is phase to neutral to be 220 and neutral to ground to be zero, evindently it has something to do with the way the machine is grounded..we need 10,000 watts and 26 amps...I ordered a 110-220 transformer and hopefully this will work...the engineer at the company was of the opinion that using a standard 110 line with a step up isolation transformer, will get us the power we need...the transformer did specifically say " isolation" transformer but the company that sold it to be told me that this was the way to go.,...fingers crossed
    Well that is not going to happen 10,000watts at 26 amps on 110/120 you would need 52 Amps from the single phase input line, to get 26 amps at 220/240v it's not going to happen

Unless you have quoted that the 26amps is for the input 110/120v supply, then you could do that with a 30amp input supply line

Show him this as this is how the NA System works

In this case, the 180 degree shift is nothing magical. It is simply polarity. It means that the ends of the coil are equal and opposite at any instant of time. In this exact same sense, the poles of a battery are "180 degrees" opposite. North and south are "180 degrees" opposite. In other words, somebody used the term 180, and it happens to have the same phrasing as the 120 degree shift used in 3-phase terminology, except it really doesn't mean a phase difference any more than north or south are out of phase.

The device that creates it is the transformer. At any instant of time, current is flowing in one direction, and therefore the magnetic lines of flux have a specific polarity, driving a current in the secondary a certain direction, creating a positive potential on one side and negative on the other. In the next part of the cycle, the polarity changes, so negative becomes positive and positive becomes negative.

In other words, at any instant, one wire is positive and one wire is negative, thus the idea that they are "180 degrees out of phase".

So your 220/240 Supply ( 2 ) Hot wires and Ground is the same as having ( 1 ) Hot Neutral and Ground

Tell him as I said before to use the 220v supply you have it will do the same job and he will learn something new

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

the only issue I can think of when connecting a machine wired for a single phase 240V (LNE) like I have in the UK
    and connecting it to a 240V (L1 L2 , E) used in North America is you need to add a second fuse for the L2 supply used inplace of the neutral and change any single pole On/Off switch with a 2 pole switch

I expect it is an advantage to connect EMI mains filters that usually are symetrical to a symetrical North American 240V supply

doe you have a circuit diagram (schematic) of the machine you can post ?

John

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish I did and I will ask for one in the future so maybe I can come up with a solution, for the mean time I purchased a 110 - 220 step up transformer and im running the machine off of my 110 line but I would love to get rid of this transformer as its pretty big and just another annoying thing that will need to be cleaned, lol....the tech seems to feel that the way this machine is grounded, that a usa 220 line would be dangerous with this machine and the engineer in china seems to agree...I have another 220 co2 laser from the same company with no problem plugging that machine directly into my 220 line, so if they tell do not want to plug this into my 220 but had no problem with the co2 laser going in my 220 line, I assume they have a good reason.....the tech wants phase to neutral 220 and neutral to ground to be zero...this transformer will produce 220 like this but its just weird to me that such a large transformer is required when I already have the required power, all I need is the proper wiring. then again I know nothing of electricity , lol...this machine is not a co2 laser, its a fiber laser a much much more complicated so I just want to stick with their advice for the mean time.

Downloads
    Uploads

The US uses two 110 legs, Euro uses one leg 220 and one neutral. If you connect this you will be placing 110v directly to ground.

The tech was correct, you need an isolation transmformer, or conversion transformer or whatever you want to call it.