Problem Rotary phase converter question

Thread: Rotary phase converter question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rotary phase converter question

Hello everyone,
    I just bought a Mazak QT8 CNC lathe. It came with an American Rotary AD10 converter and I put it in my residential garage. Everything is wired and operational, and when demand is low (reduced rapids and slower spindle speeds) everything works fine. But when performance is required, I get a X axis servo alarm. I suspect the rotary phase converter is undersized and allowing the voltage to drop.
    Here is the question. Can I add a 3 HP 3 phase motor to run with the idler to help prevent the problem? I have the 3 hp motor on the shelf for another project, so it would be easy to try it. I also have a 3 HP knee mill currently wired with a static converter. It would be easy to remove the static and wire it to the rotary, as well.
    I seem to recall the loads will add up to help start larger motors, but my research today has failed to turn it up.
    Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rotary phase converter question

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Thompson View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I just bought a Mazak QT8 CNC lathe. It came with an American Rotary AD10 converter and I put it in my residential garage. Everything is wired and operational, and when demand is low (reduced rapids and slower spindle speeds) everything works fine. But when performance is required, I get a X axis servo alarm. I suspect the rotary phase converter is undersized and allowing the voltage to drop.
    Here is the question. Can I add a 3 HP 3 phase motor to run with the idler to help prevent the problem? I have the 3 hp motor on the shelf for another project, so it would be easy to try it. I also have a 3 HP knee mill currently wired with a static converter. It would be easy to remove the static and wire it to the rotary, as well.
    I seem to recall the loads will add up to help start larger motors, but my research today has failed to turn it up.
    Thanks!
    You alarm is probably an over voltage from the wild leg, a normal problem with RPC's it will kill the servo drive with time
    Adding another motor would only make it worse, running a RPC for any CNC is never a good idea, some CNC machines work ok with a RPC but most will have some kind of problem, Phase Perfect is the only real way to get good reliable 3 Phase power from a Single Phase connection

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The RPC is rated for CNC. I'll check the voltages first chance I get. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I did some checking. Attached is the voltage data under various conditions.
    Rotary phase converter question-capture-jpg
    It looks to me like the additional idler affected the balance, as I would expect. (the wild leg voltage actually dropped.) So I assume I could add capacitors to re-balance and bring the voltage up..
    I loaded a program and was able to rapid without an alarm, so progress. With the machine just running the spindle,
    I was able to get the spindle to about 3500 rpm before it alarmed. The max is 4000. So better, but not quite there, yet.
    My conclusion is I could add maybe a 5 hp idler in addition to the existing 10 hp idler and re-balance with additional capacitors.
    Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know Ron, those voltages aren't off by significant amounts. Maybe something other than voltage is going on. Not sure what to suggest.
    If it was a voltage balance issue, I would balance with caps rather than go to a 5-10HP idler.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I lucked into a WEG brand 3 phase 10 HP motor from an Ingersoll Rand air compressor for $75. I just got it wired to the 10HP rotary phase converter and it works OK, just a little noisy. I may try to reverse it and see if it is any quieter, or it may need some grease.

I have a bunch of run caps I bought off of Amazon.com, but haven't tried to balance it, yet. The voltages are a little lower, indicating the need for balancing.
    L1 TO L2 = 245.0
    T1 TO T2 = 244.9 (Same as L1 and L2 but past the contactor)
    T1 TO T3 = 239.7
    T2 TO T3 = 234.0
    I am out of time for today, I'll update this when I have more data.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bet it gets quieter when you balance with the caps.

Steve