Need Help! VFD settings for 3 phase pump with high initial in rush current.

Thread: VFD settings for 3 phase pump with high initial in rush current.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VFD settings for 3 phase pump with high initial in rush current.

Any advise much appreciated.

1. VFD = Huanyang 4.0KW Drive 4KW VFD Drive Inverter Solutions Calculous PID Competely Soundl Great Well Made | eBay
    2. Specs of VFD:
      1. Inpute Voltage: 220V(We also stock 380V, please contact us for item stock)
      2. Output Voltage: 208-240VAC ( analogous to Input Voltage )
      3. Inpute Frequency: 48-63 Hz
      4. Outpute Frequency: 0-400 Hz
      5. Inpute Phase: 1 phase
      6. Outpute Phase: 3 phase
      7. Amps: 17amps "rated current" ( 5 hp VFD, 1 phase to 3 phase VFD | GoHz.com )

3. ​3 Phase water pump: Dayton 2HP 3-Phase: Dayton Pump, Sprinkler, 2 HP, 3 Ph 5RWJ0 | Zoro.com
    4. Specs of Pump
      1. Hz: 60
      2. RPM: 3450
      3. Amps: 9.7-9.1
      4. Voltage: 208-230
      5. Phase: 3
      6. SFA (Service Factor Amps): 11.6 - 10.6
      7. Stage: 1

5. ​Problem: "Over current" OC-r error code on the VFD display.
      1. ​Background: The 3-Phase wiring of the pump was done exactly as recommended for 220v 3-Phase
        1. ​Pump wiring: T4, T5, and T6 all wired together using soldering iron and then a silicon wire nut and some electrical tape
        2. Wires T1 and T7 (designated as L1 on pump diagram) soldered and connected via 12awg wire to "U" output terminal on the VFD
        3. Wires T2 and T8 (designated as L2 on pump diagram) soldered and connected via 12awg wire to "V" output terminal on the VFD
        4. Wires T3 and T9 (designated as L2 on pump diagram) soldered and connected via 12awg wire to "W" output terminal on the VFD

2. VFD wiring;
        1. 220V (two 110 legs connected to seperate breakers) wired to "R" and "T" inputs of VFD (note: there is a sticker on the VFD right next to the R, S, T, input terminals which says connect "one phase" to "R and T")

3. VFD performs fine when not connected to load (pump)
        1. After wiring the VFD it powers up and functions as normal.
        2. Multi-meter across the two inputs reads 220v for 1 phase 220v input
          1. Multi-meter across any 2 of the U, V, W, 3-phase outputs read 208v (checked all three combos UV, UW, VW readings same of 208V). To the VFD appears to be taking the 220V 1-phase input and outputing 3-Phase 208V as expected and designed . . . with no load attached.

4. VFD connected to load trips a fraction of a second after the pump appears to try and start.
        1. When bench testing the pump described above connected to the VFD upon pressing start from the VFD panel you can hear the pump motor begin to move for a faction of a second (the pump makes a very brief audible noise like it is trying to start)
        2. After a fraction of a second the VFD produces error code "OC-r" which per the manual means "Steady state overcurrency", cause: "overload or component fail", diagnosis: "check motor load."

5. Questions:
        1. The VFD is rated to 17amps the pump is SFA Amps of 10.7 and running amps of 9.7. So the VFD appears to be plenty capable of handling the load?????
          1. Is there an "in rush" current that is momentarily exceeding the 17amp rating of the VFD, tripping it, and producing the OC-r error code????
            1. If so . . . any suggestions on what the "in rush" current could be on such a motor pump described??? (20amps, 30amps??
            2. WHAT SETTINGS CAN IS USE ON THE VFD TO MITIGATE THE LOAD SPIKE???
              1. Is this even possible via configuring the VFD??? Is the "in rush" current of the 9.7amp motor still too great despite the 17amp rating of the VFD???

3. Here of some of the possible key parameters of the VFD from the manual:
              1. PN02: Initial start up frequency
              2. PN08: Acceleration time
              3. PN10: Max runtime freq.
              4. PN11: Min runtime freq
              5. PN12 Motor rating freq.
              6. PN13: Torque compensation
              7. PN14: Torque compensation freq.
              8. PN20-26 Multi-segment frequency 1-7
              9. PN27 Point move freq.
              10. PN29 2nd acceleration time
              11. Only goes to PN35 (Production date)

4. If tested with a variety of settings to no avail . . . same result . . . momentary (fraction of second) movement of motor and then VFD error of "OC-r" ("steady state overcurrency")

6. I suspect and sincerely hope that one of the seasoned experts here can tell that this can be overcome by configuring the VFD with the correct paraments. Or alternatively . . . tell me . . . "pump is too damn big for that 4.0kw/17amp VFD . . . get a larger VFD . . . ."
      7. PLEASE HELP!!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD settings for 3 phase pump with high initial in rush current.

byu123

Increase the Acceleration time 15s to 20s, same for the Deceleration

It is not advisable to read the output of any VFD with a regular meter

What have you set the main Parameters to, it's very easy for an AC motor, not much to set, but has to be correct, don't try it unless you have set all the needed Parameters to suit your motor

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

byu123
    The motor and VSD combination you have will work fine. *There's something more complex going on here.*
    There are some critical VSD parameters that aren't on your list. There will be:
    - Motor Voltage
    - Motor Current
    and possibly
    - Motor kW

If these are OK then the most likely culprit is the motor wiring. *For the unit to trip out instantaneously, I suspect that there is a short from one phase to another. Double check your work against the diagram. Use your meter to check the resistance between all of the phases. I'm guessing one reading will be much lower than the other two. I'm hoping that the wiring diagram itself is accurate and you'll be able to sort this out.*
    If there is a short, then you're really lucky that you had the motor on a VSD. If it was connected straight onto the mains supply you would have tripped a breaker if you were lucky or would have burned out the motor if you weren't.*

Downloads
    Uploads

byu123
    The motor and VSD combination you have will work fine. *There's something more sinister here.*
    - Motor Voltage
    - Motor Current
    and possibly
    - Motor kW
    If these are OK then the most likely culprit is the motor wiring. I suspect that there is a short from one phase to another. Double check your work against the diagram. Use your meter to check the resistance between all of the phases. I'm guessing one reading will be much lower than the other two.*
    If there is a short, then you're really lucky that you had the motor on a VSD. If it was connected straight onto the mains supply you would have tripped a breaker if you were lucky or would have burned out the motor if you weren't.*

Downloads
    Uploads

byu123
    The motor and VSD combination you have will work fine. *There's something more sinister here.*
    - Motor Voltage
    - Motor Current
    and possibly
    - Motor kW
    If these are OK then the most likely culprit is the motor wiring. I suspect that there is a short from one phase to another. Double check your work against the diagram. Use your meter to check the resistance between all of the phases. I'm guessing one reading will be much lower than the other two.*

Downloads
    Uploads

byu123
    - Motor Voltage
    - Motor Current
    and possibly
    - Motor kW

Downloads
    Uploads

IS THERE A HUMAN READING THIS!?! I've tried to reply to this post with helpful advice THREE TIMES. Sort your problems out and release one of my posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Trying AGAIN

byu123
    The motor and VSD combination you have will work fine. *There's something more complex going on here.*
    - Motor Voltage
    - Motor Current
    and possibly
    - Motor kW

If these are OK then the most likely culprit is the motor wiring. *For the unit to trip out instantaneously, I suspect that there is a short from one phase to another. Double check your work against the diagram. Use your meter to check tUhe resistance between all of the phases. I'm guessing one reading will be much lower than the other two. I'm hoping that the wiring diagram itself is accurate and you'll be able to sort this out.*