Need Help! VFD Error Code

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFD Error Code

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VFD Error Code

Hi, I have a hitachi VFD (WJ200-022SF). It is a single phase 200v vfd for a 2.2kw chinese spindle. I currently have everything broken out on a board to test before I put it in a cabinet, I just took two legs 120v coming from the shop and connected them to the L1/N teminals. I took the common (which is tied to ground/conduit at the panel) and connected it to the heatsink ground on the VFD. This is probably not ideal and I am assuming that there should probably be a true ground and no common but that is the way the shop was wired long ago. I have confirmed that there is 240v between the two legs powering the vfd, I have run the wires through an additional ABB breaker before the VFD but apart from that, the wires are just connected to the rest of the shop and are also powering lights and potentially other things. There are no filters/chokes of any kind. The VFD power up but it immediately throws a code (E30.1). According to Hitachi, E30 indicates:

"An internal inverter error has occurred at the safety protection circuit between the CPU and main driver unit. Excessive electrical noise may be the cause. The inverter has turned OFF the IGBT module output."

I am guessing that electrical noise is the culprit and I planned on getting some type of filter but I want to get the thing working and then improve it as needed. I tested it with/without the common wire, I also set all of the specs in the vfd to match the motor (amp/kw/hz/volts, etc). I Has anyone else had this problem? Does electrical noise seem like a feasible explanation? What type/model of filter is recommended for this application?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD Error Code

I would disconnect the neutral and try again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have tried it with and without the "neutral" wire (so just 120v+120v going to L1/N, not ground/common). It doesn't help. I have tried switching the breaker on and off multiple times (with and without the common) and there was one time (out of maybe 40) where it happened to start up without an error but I did not have the spindle wired up at that time so I wasn't able to test it, even so, the next time I switched on (with the exact same connections) there was an error.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

well there really is no reason to get a filter or choke of any kind on a 200v ac drive. Your electrical situation sounds far from ideal, and really should be fixed up right. does it give you the error with the actual spindle wired up as well?

Downloads
    Uploads

economycar

This is the correct way to wire the Drive, you should not have a neutral wire attached to anything, only Earth Ground wire, with is mounted to the VFD on it's Ground Screw

L1 Plus N/L3 is where the ( 2 ) Hot 120v= 240v ac wires are connected plus Green Wire ( Ground Earth ) to the VFD Ground terminal

Do not Turn the Power On/Off like you have been, you will damage the VFD Drive

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Error Code-hitachi-vfd-wiring-png  
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you ever figure this out? I am getting a constant e30.3 error on my hitachi wj200-022SF. And it is driving me crazy!!! Please help!
    Thanks
    Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bob83 View Post
    Did you ever figure this out? I am getting a constant e30.3 error on my hitachi wj200-022SF. And it is driving me crazy!!! Please help!
    Thanks
    Bob
    How do you have it wired??

Do you have a Single Phase Drive or a 3 Phase Drive?? I guess it is single Phase by the part / model number

Do you live in NA or some other country??

What is your input Voltage??

Post a Photo of the input wiring

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    How do you have it wired??

Do you have a Single Phase Drive or a 3 Phase Drive?? I guess it is single Phase by the part / model number

Do you live in NA or some other country??

What is your input Voltage??

Post a Photo of the input wiring
    Single phase input, it's the wj200-022sf. I'm in North America. Running the VFD from my 240v dryer oultet, it's a 30amp breaker. 10 gauage wire all the way to the VFD.

I'm at work and the VFD is at home... So I can post a pick later tonight. I have the power running to the L1 and N terminals. They are reading 244volts together and separately to ground they read 122volts.

Then I have 4 wire-12 gauge shielded wire running to the 2.2kw, 8.5amp,400hz water cooled spindle.pons 1,2 and 3 are connected to u,v and w. The spindle ground is not connected to the VFD in anyway.

When I run the VFD with no spindle, it works fine. When I hook up the spindle I get an E30.3 error immediately. I hear a quite click, and then nothing. E30 means Driver error, Excessive electrical noise may be
    the cause. (So says the Manual). The next nu,mber tells me the Inverter status at trip point, .3, which means constant speed.
    When I run through the trip history, d081, I get:
    Output frequency: this I can't remember exactly what it said... I was controlling the frequency via the front panel, I can look when I get home. I wanna say it was a low frequency...
    Output current: was somewhere in the 2 Amp range
    DC bus voltage: 384 volts, Normally the dc bus voltage in a VFD is 1.414 times the ac RMS line voltage. So I thought it would of been closer to 340ish....
    Elapsed RUN time: 0.5 seconds, or less ( I tried it a couple million times)
    Elapsed power-ON time: something like a couple seconds, 10 or 12.

Here is my parameters:
    A001- 02
    A002 – 02
    A004- 400HZ
    A003 – 400Hz is Spindle base frequency
    A061 – 400HZ
    A062 – 0
    A082 – 220 Volt (that's what the spindle has etched on it.
    B012 – 8.5 Amps
    H003 – 2.2 KW
    H004 - 2 poles

Thanks for your response and willingness to help.
    Bob

Last edited by bob83; 03-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Single phase input, it's the wj200-022sf. I'm in North America. Running the VFD from my 240v dryer oultet, it's a 30amp breaker. 10 gauage wire all the way to the VFD.

I'm at work and the VFD is at home... So I can post a pick later tonight. I have the power running to the L1 and N terminals. They are reading 244volts together and separately to ground they read 122volts.

Then I have 4 wire-12 gauge shielded wire running to the 2.2kw, 8.5amp,400hz water cooled spindle.pons 1,2 and 3 are connected to u,v and w. The spindle ground is not connected to the VFD in anyway.

When I run the VFD with no spindle, it works fine. When I hook up the spindle I get an E30.3 error immediately. I hear a quite click, and then nothing. E30 means Driver error, Excessive electrical noise may be
    the cause. (So says the Manual). The next nu,mber tells me the Inverter status at trip point, .3, which means constant speed.
    When I run through the trip history, d081, I get:
    Output frequency: this I can't remember exactly what it said... I was controlling the frequency via the front panel, I can look when I get home. I wanna say it was a low frequency...
    Output current: was somewhere in the 2 Amp range
    DC bus voltage: 384 volts, Normally the dc bus voltage in a VFD is 1.414 times the ac RMS line voltage. So I thought it would of been closer to 340ish....
    Elapsed RUN time: 0.5 seconds, or less ( I tried it a couple million times)
    Elapsed power-ON time: something like a couple seconds, 10 or 12.

Here is my parameters:
    A001- 02
    A002 – 02
    A004- 400HZ
    A003 – 400Hz is Spindle base frequency
    A061 – 400HZ
    A062 – 0
    A082 – 220 Volt (that's what the spindle has etched on it.
    B012 – 8.5 Amps
    H003 – 2.2 KW
    H004 - 2 poles

Thanks for your response and willingness to help.
    Bob
    You need to have the spindle Grounding connected, you said you have a 4 wire shielded cable this is just as important to be connected correctly as the input cable, you need to check the Pin 4 of the spindle to see that it is connected, if it is not then it has to be corrected, the spindle Ground does not have to be connected to the VFD But all Grounds must terminate at the same place, ( called a Star Ground Point ) it is sometimes easier to connect the Spindle Ground to the same Ground Point as the VFD, Shields have to be Direct Grounded at there Termination

12 Gauge is way to big, how can you fit that in the standard spindle plug 16 Gauge is more than enough for this size spindle

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All my steppers and drivers are grounded (star ground point) they are 110v. Can I ground the 220v to that as well. I am a Mechanical Engineer, not an electrical. :-) I only took one electrical class in college. And barely passed.
    I guess that would make sense, e30 means too much noise... I will verify my shield is direct grounded too.
    Thanks a lot!!! I will try some more tonight.

Downloads
    Uploads

All my steppers and drivers are grounded (star ground point) they are 110v. Can I ground the 220v to that as well. I am a Mechanical Engineer, not an electrical. :-) I only took one electrical class in college. And barely passed.
    I guess that would make sense, e30 means too much noise... I will verify my shield is direct grounded too.
    Thanks a lot!!! I will try some more tonight.
    Have you just one power input supplying your machine, 240v ( 2 Hot a Neutral and Ground ) and split for 120v (1 Hot Neutral and Ground ) for the stepper supply

Or do you have 2 independent supplies a 120v supply and a 240v supply, doing it this way can cause a Ground loop, which you don't want to have

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you just one power input supplying your machine, 240v ( 2 Hot a Neutral and Ground ) and split for 120v (1 Hot Neutral and Ground ) for the stepper supply

Or do you have 2 independent supplies a 120v supply and a 240v supply, doing it this way can cause a Ground loop, which you don't want to have
    2 independent supplies. So I should probably ground them independently.
    I has some new speakon cable laying around. Hence the 12 gauge. It fit.

Downloads
    Uploads

2 independent supplies. So I should probably ground them independently.
    I has some new speakon cable laying around. Hence the 12 gauge. It fit.
    You should only use one incoming Ground wire, or you will have a Ground loop problem, so both the 120v and the 220v will use the same input Ground wire, This may be what your problem is

As long as the cable is rated for high flex or it won't last very long, any thing will work, this is the main problem that cables don't have the flex that is needed for these machines

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are bringing two separate ground wires it is acceptable if they both bond together Immediately at the system input or enclosure and then preferable a ground to where ever the star point GND is.
    . This means they are bonded at the source and the destination.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

:-( No Joy
    I connected pin 4 at the spindle, opened it up, added a wire to actually connect pin 4 to the spindle. Ran pin 1,2 and 3 to the VFD and pin 4 to my star ground. Checked continuity, checked to make sure my shielding was grounded to the star ground. And, same error.
    So then I pulled the spindle off the machine, grabbed a different shielded wire, 16awg 4 strand shielded. wired it up. Went from 220v 3 wire dryer plug to a switch, the two livewires then went to the VFD. The neutral went to pin 4. And connected pin 1,2 and 3 to U,V and W...... And same error.
    It looked almost exactly like this, but the neutral went straight to the motor ground.
    VFD Error Code-motor-20wiring-jpg
    I have a friend coming over with a different spindle on Friday. Maybe it's the spindle. Can't imagine it's the Hitachi VFD. And I feel like I removed any possible noise.

Downloads
    Uploads

I connected pin 4 at the spindle, opened it up, added a wire to actually connect pin 4 to the spindle. Ran pin 1,2 and 3 to the VFD and pin 4 to my star ground. Checked continuity, checked to make sure my shielding was grounded to the star ground. And, same error.
    So then I pulled the spindle off the machine, grabbed a different shielded wire, 16awg 4 strand shielded. wired it up. Went from 220v 3 wire dryer plug to a switch, the two livewires then went to the VFD. The neutral went to pin 4. And connected pin 1,2 and 3 to U,V and W...... And same error.
    It looked almost exactly like this, but the neutral went straight to the motor ground.
    I have a friend coming over with a different spindle on Friday. Maybe it's the spindle. Can't imagine it's the Hitachi VFD. And I feel like I removed any possible noise.
    Do you mean the Ground wire connects to pin ( 4 ) Neutral can not be connected to anything in your 220v supply for the VFD, Just ( 2 Hot wires and a Ground )

How could you connect the Shield to the Star Ground Point, the shields can not be connected to star Ground

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Error Code-grounding-shields-3-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Have You tried as a test just hooking the 240 volt L1 and n and leaving the third wire you call neutral or ground off? As a test to see if E30 error is gone with just two power leads and no ground coming in?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Downloads
    Uploads

If someone was to wire there system like this photo, using a Neutral, the result would not be good

The thing that is disturbing also, in this photo, is they have the Neutral Wire being Switched, you can not do this for Neutral or Ground wire circuit, Neutral can never be used as a Ground wire also

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If someone was to wire there system like this photo, using a Neutral, the result would not be good

The thing that is disturbing also, in this photo, is they have the Neutral Wire being Switched, you can not do this for Neutral or Ground wire circuit, Neutral can never be used as a Ground wire also
    Got it! Neutral connected to ground is a no no. I will try again tomorrow, if my kids let me. Thanks a lot for all the info!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, so after hours of hair pulling, and getting no where. I hooked up to an identical spindle. Worked like a champ. So, I guess my spindle is busted... Dope. thanks for all the help guys. I ordered a new spindle, and it should be here soon. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast