Height probing for PCB isolation routing

Thread: Height probing for PCB isolation routing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Height probing for PCB isolation routing

Daer All,

I have a problem to cut larger pcb boards (eurocard size).
    because I use a 90° V bit, therefore, the depth is very important, when the bit gets deeper then the isolation gets wider and sometimes completely eliminating the condutor.
    Therefore I was looking for something like this:
    "Height probing for PCB isolation routing with Eagle/pcb-gcode" similar to the stuff on this site: http://phk.freebsd.dk/CncPcb/
    I need it to work on Mach3 so in windows.
    Is there somewhere a program that can do a similar thing?

Thank you,
    Willy

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ger21; 09-12-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: fixed link

Downloads
    Uploads

For large cards, the entire pcb has to be flat. See my solution: http://millpcbs.com/index.php?option...d=17&Itemid=46 Then watch this video with my results:http://millpcbs.com/index.php?option...d=30&Itemid=51

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

One thing you could try is place a piece of MDF or other material, a bit larger than you pcb board, enough to accomodate some clamping or screwing, use a large endmill (one that will fit in your router).

Face the MDF with it, You can do it manually, don't move it or unclamp or unscrew it.

It will be linear with your router head and it will help to keep your pcb track even.

If you have some places in the middle of your board, drill holes, where you can use very small screw, this will help to keep your board flat.

Use 20 degrees bit, this will help also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10x-20-CNC-PCB-C...d=p3286.c0.m14

Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did anybody found a solution for auto Z probing with mach3 ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I put a solution together in Perl ... it's still in the prototype stages, but theres no reason why you shouldn't be able to make it work in Windows.

I've only tested with EMC, so obviously you'll need to carefully test with Mach3 otherwise many broken bits will result.

Zen Toolworks LLC • View topic - SOLVED ... holding PCB's flat, or not!

Regards,

Lee.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by essele View Post
    Hi,

I put a solution together in Perl ... it's still in the prototype stages, but theres no reason why you shouldn't be able to make it work in Windows.

I've only tested with EMC, so obviously you'll need to carefully test with Mach3 otherwise many broken bits will result.

Zen Toolworks LLC • View topic - SOLVED ... holding PCB's flat, or not!

Regards,

Lee.
    Hi Lee,

.... on the link you provided (Zen Toolworks LLC • View topic - SOLVED ... holding PCB's flat, or not!)

you say this...

"Usage: pcb-probe <infile> <outfile>

The infile should be the etch file from pcb-gcode"

then this...

"Please let me know how it goes. I've only tested with EMC2, I would be interested to know if it works in Mach3."

I'd like to try this in mach3, but for the life of me, I don't know how to use your perl file within Mach3!! I have my pcb-gcode output file...I load it into MAch3....but how do I get your perl file to act upon the pcb-gcode file from within Mach3?

Grateful how this would work in practise ....for example do I start MAch3, then run the perl file from within it somehow....will mach3 then prompt me etc etc..

Downloads
    Uploads

Hank,
    Lee also posted his works to the pcb-gcode group and some of the guys are trying it in Mach (using the pcb-gcode.ulp and Eagle).

Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks soon after I posted I found some instructions (on the yahoo group)...

It sems you need pcb-gcode version r67 (which is only available in the files section of the pcb-gcode yahoo groups....& you'll need to become a member of that group to be able to download!)

Then the process is as simple as...

1. run pcb-gcode in Eagle as normal

2. in the pcb-gcode window, set your levelling parameters (eg distance between successive probes etc)

click 'make my board' (ie as per usual)

Now the resulting pcb-gcode .tap file that gets created has all the stuff necesary for your CNC software to autoprobe....just load it into mach3 and watch it probe away (obviously you need an auto zero setup already on your machine .....oh yeah, and you need to ground your copper clad board!

I have a couple of issuettes with it (too late here in the Uk so had to stop testing), but I hope to give this a proper run out tomorrow.... it looks very promising...I particularly like the way it's all been integrated into pcb-gcode....makes using it very simple.

Here's some other user instructions (credit goes to 'Art' over on the pcb-gcode yahoo group for these) ....

1. Run PCB-Gcode.ulp and generate G code files for probe/etch and drill.

2.Using Wordpad text editor, to cut and paste, move the total section of probe
    code, from the above etch Gcode file, and paste it into Wordpad, to create a new
    txt file. Save this as a txt file (call it Probe.txt).

3.Save and close the now modified etch G code file.

To etch a board, setup the router as normal and load and run the newly created
    Probe.txt file. Probing operation commences and gathers height data, saving this
    data to memory, through to the file end.

When probing cycle has completed, close the probe file.

Now load on the etch file.

Setup the router as normal for etching and zero all the axis - just as you
    would normally.

Run the etch file to produce your board. Unscheduled stops and restarts and Run
    from here commands, all appear to work fine, with the Z height being continually
    adjusted from the height data stored previously by the Probe.txt cycle