mach3

Thread: mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default mach3

Hi all. Can you export files, gcode from Mach3 to Coppercam? I need to be able to engrave names with a cheap cnc machine. It came with Coppercam. I can't see how to write names with this software I got. So not sure if you can write words with Coppercam? If you can how can i do that? Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: mach3

coppercam exports gcode and mach3 reads gcode - coppercam is for circuit boards so it wouldn't have much text design functionality - you need vector graphics software (inkscape, corel draw, etc..) to draw the text, and CAM software (sheetcam, vectric-vcarve, etc) to turn the drawing into gcode - then you open the gcode in mach3 to run the machine

www.signtorch.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh ok but the software I got with the machine was Coppercam so it will be no good then for engraving words. How do I get the machine to use Mach3 run it if it's already setup to run on Coppercam? If I could make the words/ script in another software will coppercam be able to read it? Or can you not import gcode into it?

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to describe the interface you little CNC machine has to determine if you can convert it to MACH3. My guess would be yes, but that depends on the controller.

RUss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mach3-cnc2-001-jpg mach3-cnc2-004-jpgmach3-cnc2-005-jpgmach3-cnc2-006-jpgmach3-cnc2-007-jpg

I hope theese pictures can be seen because the attach button has not come up so I can't attach them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can I just get an Arduino controller? Which one? And can I get one that will control both the laser and cnc? As this machine is both cnc and laser? Or would I need two controllers?

Downloads
    Uploads

domgal,

That little controller is the stepper drivers right on board. If this is both a laser and router already why not use it. Does it read gcode? I can send you a little gcode file that puts something out in text and you can load the file and see if you can try it. If that works then you only need a simple CAM program to generate text that you would like you use along with any given design.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The problem is the cnc is running Coppercam so as far as I no only does circuit boards. I want to do words but have been told that Coppercam can't do that. It needs a gerber file??? To be honest I have not even tried it I tested the laser and it worked but want engrave only does a spot as the photo shoes so really have no idea what the cnc will do. Maybe the controller board that's on it is buggered. So right now we have problems with both laser and cnc. The laser works but doesn't and the cnc does something that we don't need and I can't figure out how to make Coppercam do what we want to do or even if it can write words.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a simple gcode file that use a vcarving bit. Check to see if you can load this file. The ending is just txt, but you can rename to whatever type file your controller wants to see.

Russ

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

domgal,

Coppercam is designed to build circuit boards using the mill to etch traces in copper. In most cases these packages like Eagle or CopperCam or many others can also add text to the circuit board. Do you have a screenshot of the software running on your PC. Watch this video which shows you how this all works with EaglePCB and PCBGCODE, which is what turns the drawing into gcode for the mill. CopperCAM does all of that stuff directly.

You can certainly add a different controller as you machine uses basic stepper motors.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

domgal,

This video shows CopperCAM and if you look at the very top of the screen you will see the letter "A" which is the text icon which allows you to add text to a circuit board.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok but i do not have that letter A on my software? But full proper Coppercam does have a writing function? Maybe now we'll need to look at getting the proper software not software that comes from China that maybe probably isn't that genuine hey?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some photos of my coppercam software. Where is the letter A that allows you to write on the board? And can you write without doing a board?

mach3-coppercam-001-jpgmach3-coppercam-002-jpgmach3-coppercam-003-jpgmach3-coppercam-004-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And no the Coppercam will not open up that gcode you sent me