Newbie PCB G-code issues

Thread: Newbie PCB G-code issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie PCB G-code issues

Hi,
    Here's my situation:
    I want to convert PCB files from my Sprint Layout 5.0 to G-code files for my Mach3 set up CNC mill, but the output of Sprint is only in Gerber, BMP, JPG and PLT. I have tried to convert the PLT to G-code using Lazy Cam but it has trouble imaging the complete circuit. I tried LineGrinder to convert a jpg to g-code, but it also fails, maybe the configuration?
    Anyways, I'm looking for advice and tips, maybe your own solutions or recommendations regarding software etc.

The Sprint generated Gerber file:
    South_iso_Gerber.gbr - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

The Sprint generated isolation milling PLT file:
    South_PLT.PLT - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

I apologize for the 30 second delay, the web file hosting site is not the best.

- Miles

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie PCB G-code issues-south-image-iso-pcb-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

if use use Eagle, (free) there's a plug-in pcb-gcode (also free) converts the layout directly to gcode!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Yes, the Eagle/Gode software works, but the Sprint has a much better feel and builds pcbs faster. Just hoping that there is a good way to convert PLT files to Gcode.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie PCB G-code issues

Any advice you can give in regard to PCB drill hole files would be helpful too. Eagle created files do not make holes in pads, at least not with the viewer in mach3 that I have used. I assumed that the Eagle gcode plug in would tell the gcode to drill centers in pads as well as routing the isolation traces which it does very well. My Sprint Layout can output excellon drill files but I will wait to see what advice I get first before I try to go that route.

Downloads
    Uploads

The pcb-gcode ULP will produce drill files for top and/or bottom routines. The drill files are separate from the isolation or milling files.

Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I run the Eagle g-code plug-in and found the drill files generated.
    When i run them in Mach3, the drill does not change in height after reaching the first hole. I assume that the g-code program has a configuration setup somewhere? Does Mach3 need to have the same info entered in the "Tool information" area?

Downloads
    Uploads

"I assume that the g-code program has a configuration setup somewhere?"
    Yes it does and hopefully, will showup in the attached screen shot.
    You need to run the pcb-gcode setup.ulp and on the second tab, indicate the drilling depth.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie PCB G-code issues-screenshot-png  
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

>I tried LineGrinder to convert a jpg to g-code, but it also fails, maybe the configuration?

Line Grinder can only convert Gerber to G-Code - not jpeg. If you actually meant Gerber and Line Grinder failed on the converson feel free to get in contact with me and I will investigate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Eagle CAD and PCB-Gcode

It took me a while to figure out all the settings, I had to go through 5 PCBs to get one right. Now it's a snap. I use emc2, and I do not need to have the same tools in the emc2 tool bin, but emc does need to think there is a tool. For instance, if your PCB has 6 different hole sized, then EMC needs to be informed there should be a minimum of 6 tools loaded. Otherwise it will just stop and you are S.O.L. Also, the output of PCB-Gcode is not optimized - your router will spend 60-70% of it's time moving back and forth over the board, milling only a mm here and a mm there. I recommend the optimizer. See my blog for the gory details! When it all works, it is a thing of beauty.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default PCB-gcode update

Well, im alot farther along now. I switched to Eagle and made the diagram there. (not nearly as nice as Sprint but....) I converted it with pcb-gcode ULP, and then with Opti to optimize milling order. Then i found that the size of the files was over 300kb and the gcode lines over 10000. Wow! Upon closer examination i found that the square pad shapes were being drawn with several arcs. This made a simple square pad or corner need 4 times the code to draw. With CNC backplot editor i was able to remove these excess gcode movements and have a file that i could chop into 500 line bites to take to the mill. 7 bites later my PCB side was done, beautiful!

I just wish there was a way to configure Eagle or ULP to draw pads without radiused corners.

Also, it is painfully clear that I will need to purchase either Mach3 or Quickstep3 software to run my TB6550 based stepper controller. I will be contacting the seller to see if there is documentation for the hook-up of the limit switches. For now i am running my mill without it. Any opinions about the choice of Quickstep3 or Mach3?

Lastly, if anyone has ever been able to do isolation milling with Sprint 5.0 easily, let me know!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MilesW View Post
    I just wish there was a way to configure Eagle or ULP to draw pads without radiused corners.
    You could redraw all of the parts you need and save them you own library. When you draw them, don't use the fillets or arcs.

And if $150 is too rich for you, have a look at EMC2 on Linux. You put int he time to learn Eagle, you will need to invest the same amount for EMC2, but you will gain volumes of usefulness. Me, I use Mach and the $150 is pennies compared to the time I've been using it (about 6 years now).

You going to show us your results?

-Jay -Co-coder of the Opti optimizer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default sorry to interupt

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    You could redraw all of the parts you need and save them you own library. When you draw them, don't use the fillets or arcs.

And if $150 is too rich for you, have a look at EMC2 on Linux. You put int he time to learn Eagle, you will need to invest the same amount for EMC2, but you will gain volumes of usefulness. Me, I use Mach and the $150 is pennies compared to the time I've been using it (about 6 years now).

You going to show us your results?

-Jay -Co-coder of the Opti optimizer
    I know this is off topic, but where do you buy mach 3 for 150$? When I go to purchase at their site it says 175.

thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not an advertisement but at Keling Inc

-Jay