Downloads
    Uploads

Default LPKF protoMat 91s help/users

Hi all

I have an LPKF protomat 91s second hand which is not working properly

I can get the machine working with boardmaster 3.0 but still getting buffer
    overrun errors.

It has nothing to do with boardmaster or with the commport settings
    (fifo is disabled,hardware handshaking is on)

I tried on the same PC another promat91s which is working fine (without buffer overruns) which I dont have available anymore

After getting in contact with lpkf i got several DB25 to DB9 cable layouts
    still searching for the correct layout.
    maybe there might be a difference in the 91s versions

I replaced the RS232 linedriver max235 by i new one
    because the hardware handshaking part might have been defective,but no result
    As i saw that they used optocouplers CNY74-4 after the max235
    and I red in a documentation that the ground is isolated, i will try to
    replace those and see what happens
    (CNY74-4's are ordered)

I would like to get in contact with other LPKF 91S users to share findings
    and eventual help me to solve this problem

I hope this community will/can help me

Looking forward

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I too have an LPKF 91s and I'm trying to get it to work. I read through your post and unfortunately I don't have a solution for your buffer overrun problem. I do however have the pinout for the DB9 to DB25 connector (should be attached to this post). I got this from LPKF's usa branch. Hope it helps.

I also had a question that I was hoping you could answer. I'm unable to get my machine to talk to my computer over the com port. I start up boardmaster (im using 5.0 by the way) and it tells me to turn on the machine, which i do, but then it just keeps telling me to turn on the machine. I've scoped the com lines coming out of the computer and it looks as though the computer is trying to talk with the machine, but the machine is not responding. When I turn on the machine, it zero's itself in the x and y direction and then moves to the tool change position. From this I know that at least the machines motor driver boards are working. I've checked the com port settings on the computer (8N1, 9600 baud rate, etc..) and they all match what LPKF says to use.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

- Will

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LPKF protoMat 91s help/users-25-9-null-cable-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Will

I got in contact with LPKF and found several Serial cable layouts, only 1 is working
    I build all the others without succes.

Meanwhile I have a sencond 91S from a friend to compare which I will try in the upcomming weeks

I already replace the RS232 driver IC without succes
    I now going to try the optocouplers CNY-14-4 and compare with the other

DB25 LPKF DB25 Serial DB9
    1 ------------------------------ 1
    2 ------------------------------ 3 -------------------------------- 2
    3 ------------------------------ 2 -------------------------------- 3
    4 ------------------------------ 5 -------------------------------- 8
    5 ------------------------------ 4 -------------------------------- 7
    7 ------------------------------- 7 ---------------------------------5
    8 ------------------------------- 20 ------------------------------- 4
    15 -----
    16 [ ( jumper between 15 and 17 )
    17 -----
    20 ------------------------------ 8 ------------------------------- 1
    24 ------------------------------ 24

Quote Originally Posted by grossmanator View Post
    Hi,

I too have an LPKF 91s and I'm trying to get it to work. I read through your post and unfortunately I don't have a solution for your buffer overrun problem. I do however have the pinout for the DB9 to DB25 connector (should be attached to this post). I got this from LPKF's usa branch. Hope it helps.

I also had a question that I was hoping you could answer. I'm unable to get my machine to talk to my computer over the com port. I start up boardmaster (im using 5.0 by the way) and it tells me to turn on the machine, which i do, but then it just keeps telling me to turn on the machine. I've scoped the com lines coming out of the computer and it looks as though the computer is trying to talk with the machine, but the machine is not responding. When I turn on the machine, it zero's itself in the x and y direction and then moves to the tool change position. From this I know that at least the machines motor driver boards are working. I've checked the com port settings on the computer (8N1, 9600 baud rate, etc..) and they all match what LPKF says to use.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

- Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your DB9-DB25 connector layout. I'm a little confused though. Why do you have three columns in your layout. Shouldn't there only be two (from the computer DB9 to the machine DB25)? Also, why did you try multiple connector designs? Isn't there a specified way of connecting the machine to a computer com port? When you tried other designs, did you try my layout that I posted? Just trying to figure out if my cable could be the problem. After looking at your cable design, I see that it is mostly the same as mine, but that there are a few small differences. This could be the problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

Wel it was an original DB25 (lpkf)-DB25 (pc) with adapter to DB9 (pc)

I measured also the DB25 to DB25

in your case ommit the second collum and make the cable
    DB25 LPKF to DB9

I noticed that there are hardware differences in the cables as i build
    2 cables suggested by LPKF without succes
    This one which is originally from a friend is working on mine and his LPKF

exept that I have buffer overflow's but I think it is an hardware handshacke issue which i'm trying to solve

Are you familiar with Circuitcam ?

I might have some questions in the future

Thanks for your DB9-DB25 connector layout. I'm a little confused though. Why do you have three columns in your layout. Shouldn't there only be two (from the computer DB9 to the machine DB25)? Also, why did you try multiple connector designs? Isn't there a specified way of connecting the machine to a computer com port? When you tried other designs, did you try my layout that I posted? Just trying to figure out if my cable could be the problem. After looking at your cable design, I see that it is mostly the same as mine, but that there are a few small differences. This could be the problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you tried using your friends LPKF, did you use your cable to connect to the machine? If you didn't, its possible that your cable is not entirely correct. I believe some of the pins in the cable tell each side whether the other side is ready to receive data/transmit data. Maybe you are missing a connection or two in the cable and this is the cause of your buffer overruns.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not familiar with circuit cam. I'm just starting to use this machine and I don't want to spend time learning circuit cam before I get the machine up and running. Also, I was just thinking: I'm using boardmaster 5.0 and you said you are using boardmaster 3.0. I wonder if this could be part of the problem. Why are you using 3.0 and not 5.0? What version is your friend (who has the other LPKF) using?

thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your DB9-DB25 connector layout. I'm a little confused though. Why do you have three columns in your layout.
    He said the first column is DB25
    second is LPKF DB25
    and last is Serial DB9

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Boardmaster version has no influence, I use 3.00 as this is the one we bought

Make this cable and probably it will work

DB25 LPKF Serial DB9
    12 -------------------------------------------------------------- 2
    3 -------------------------------------------------------------- 3
    4 -------------------------------------------------------------- 8
    5 -------------------------------------------------------------- 7
    7 ----------------------------------------------------------------5
    8 ------------------------------- ------------------------------- 4
    15 -----
    16 [ ( jumper between 15 and 17 )
    17 -----
    20 ------------------------------------------------------------ 1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great, I will go make the cable (hopefully today). I'll post back when I know if it works or not.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I made the cable, but unfortunately it did not solve my problem. Still getting the same symptoms of the computer not seeing the machine over the com port.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I've looked through the connection documents and I have called lpkfusa a couple times and followed all the instructions exactly to no avail. I cannot for the life of me get my computer to connect to the machine. I have tried a different computer, I have tried several cables and I have opened up the machine to make sure no fuses are blown. I have even traced one of the pins on the db 25 connector into the machine through the maxim235 RS232 to TTL chip and then through the opto coupler and then the HC14 and it all seems to work just fine. The signal is getting through. I'm at a loss for what I should do next. I've tried using boardmaster 4.0 but that doesn't work either. Anyone out there have any ideas? thanks,

- Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not familiar with the LPKF electronics. If it just a DB25 to break out to stepper driver modules? When you say it won't communicate do you mean the motors won't move or is there a "hand shake protocol" that has to be made to a micro controller in the machine? Feel free to post photos of the circuit boards.

When you turn it on, do you get stepper lockup so you know they are being energized? Are their any status LEDs?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The problem I am having is that the software to control the machine (boardmaster 5.0 - running on my computer) cannot connect to the machine over the serial port. When I turn the machine on, it zeros the x and y axis. So the steppers as well as the motor drivers are all working.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: LPKF protoMat 91s help/users

Hello,

I know that this is an old thread bit perhaps the information below might help someone in the future.

I have attached a schematic that I made of a cable (PC DB9F to LPKF DB25F) that is known to work under Windows 7 32 bit. I believe that it may work with Win7 64 bit as well but I have not had the chance to test it under that operating system. Earlier operating systems, including DOS should work as well.

You should not have any buffer issues with this cable. It has been tested on several PC's cutting detailed boards with no issues.

The serial port should be configured for 9600 baud, No Parity, 1 stop bit and hardware handshaking (not XON/XOFF!). Also:

I had some issues getting my software to work under Windows 7. It seems that the install program does not always get the serial settings correct. Here is what I had to do.

Go to advanced setup for the serial port. FIFO should be unchecked but also even if it is unchecked make sure that the receive and transmit buffer sliders are all the way to the left. If not enable FIFO, move both sliders to the far left then uncheck FIFO. I also had to right click on the filename of the programs and set the compatibility mode as for Windows NT Version 5 and check the "Run this program as Administrator", click apply then Okay.

Good Luck,

Sam

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LPKF protoMat 91s help/users-lpkf_serial_cable-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I spent the better part of a week trying to get a Protomat 91s to play nicely with Boardmaster. I tried every single recommended cable configuration from this forum and others. Some worked better than others, but the buffer overrun kept cropping up, sometimes with an out of date EPROM error.

All of these experiments were done with a Windows XP machine (Thinkpad and a docking station that has a native COM port), and Boardmaster 5.0. Finally I decided to downgrade to Boardmaster 3.0, as it seemed to have all the functionality that the 91s requires.

BINGO! Runs like a champ with Boardmaster 3.0, not a single error in over an hour of runtime. Plus, this is with a GENERIC null modem cable. NO jumpers, nothing extra.

Note that I did not try running it from a USB to RS232 adapter--that confguration may have other issues.

This 91s had been sitting unused for over 15 years, and initially refused to power up. This was tracked down to a shorted electrolytic cap on the output of the 5V supply. The depth adjuster needed a bit of cleaning and lubrication, too. Beyond that, runs like a champ.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yenots View Post
    I spent the better part of a week trying to get a Protomat 91s to play nicely with Boardmaster. I tried every single recommended cable configuration from this forum and others. Some worked better than others, but the buffer overrun kept cropping up, sometimes with an out of date EPROM error.

All of these experiments were done with a Windows XP machine (Thinkpad and a docking station that has a native COM port), and Boardmaster 5.0. Finally I decided to downgrade to Boardmaster 3.0, as it seemed to have all the functionality that the 91s requires.

BINGO! Runs like a champ with Boardmaster 3.0, not a single error in over an hour of runtime. Plus, this is with a GENERIC null modem cable. NO jumpers, nothing extra.

Note that I did not try running it from a USB to RS232 adapter--that confguration may have other issues.

This 91s had been sitting unused for over 15 years, and initially refused to power up. This was tracked down to a shorted electrolytic cap on the output of the 5V supply. The depth adjuster needed a bit of cleaning and lubrication, too. Beyond that, runs like a champ.
    Thanks for that info.