G Code for Roland Modela MDX 15

Thread: G Code for Roland Modela MDX 15

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G Code for Roland Modela MDX 15

Hi
    I am trying to use my Modela to cut isolation routes on PCBs. I have been using Eagle with the GCode outputter but my machine as with most Roland machines it seems only listens to Rolands RML-1 language.
    Does anybody know a way either of converting the codes or even just using the MDX-15 with GCode straight away.
    I've heard of a program called Dropout but all the links posted on here are bad and I can't find it anywhere on Rolands website.
    Any help would be reatly appreciated
    Laurence

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default modela 15 and G code

The standard modela only uses roland language. I mode them, replacing the mother board to use mech3 and g-code.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That sounds very interesting. Can you elaborate on what you did or do you possibly have any photos? Which Roland machine are you using? I have used the machine a lot in the last year but I do still find it frustrating not being able to use gcode.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G-code and mdx 15

We are going to offer a kit to do the conversion g-code. It is part of our 4th axis conversion. here is a link of it working. .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool, it looks pretty good. Does it involve completely changing the motor drivers? I mainly use the machine for PCBs and occasionally for making stamps, so I'm not sure how much I'd use a 4th axis, but being able to use commercially available CAM software would definately be something I'd consider.
    Thanks a lot, and let us know when you're selling them

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Short of gutting the whole machine

You might consider getting a CAM software package that can write .ROL files. DeskProto is one; it also can run the files on your (unmodified) MDX15. They've just announced a new hobbyist special; $350 for the 4.2 version, with a free (except for shipping) upgrade to the full 6.0 version when it's released. This is not for companies or commercial users, though. Let me know if you're interested.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by lawmate View Post
    Cool, it looks pretty good. Does it involve completely changing the motor drivers? I mainly use the machine for PCBs and occasionally for making stamps, so I'm not sure how much I'd use a 4th axis, but being able to use commercially available CAM software would definately be something I'd consider.
    Thanks a lot, and let us know when you're selling them

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G-code and mdx 15

You need to remove the right cover, 4 screws. Unplug and remove the roland board. Then bolt in our board and plug in roland plugs. Then you can use a remote keypad to jog, auto zero, and all the good stuff for mac 3. The power supply is the same printer plug the same etc. and eagle output will work directly.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G-cod for mdx15

Points on this upgrade:
    1 You will have full 4 axis control using the worlds most popular cnc driver
    software, Mach 3 .
    2 Since Mach 3 uses ISO standard G code, all CAM systems will work on your
    new machine. JewelSmith, JewelCad, RhinoCAM and many more.
    3 You will have even better resolution on your machine after the upgrade.
    4 The machine will be connector by a printer port

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y04Z33rAr1o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]Upgrade MDX15 to Four Axis_flip _ #4 - YouTube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: modela 15 and G code

Quote Originally Posted by alans View Post
    The standard modela only uses roland language. I mode them, replacing the mother board to use mech3 and g-code.
    That seems a crazy amount of effort. RML-1 is really simple, and so is g-code - it's only about 30 lines of perl or python or whatever to convert between these. You could even code one in arduino and make an in-line adapter so your PC can talk gcode, and the MDX receives RML-1 (and, being arduino, you could add your other axis stuff too if you want - all for about $3)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: modela 15 and G code

Quote Originally Posted by cnd View Post
    That seems a crazy amount of effort. RML-1 is really simple, and so is g-code - it's only about 30 lines of perl or python or whatever to convert between these. You could even code one in arduino and make an in-line adapter so your PC can talk gcode, and the MDX receives RML-1 (and, being arduino, you could add your other axis stuff too if you want - all for about $3)
    I like your suggestion but programming Arduino's is something I have never done.
    Where should I start? Or is there someone that I could pay to do this for me?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G Code for Roland Modela MDX 15

I have a MDX-15/20 and have read lots online that people say its possible to make the miller work with g-code / mach3 but can not find any further information any help advice or links would be really helpful as would love to bring this little machine back to life.

Downloads
    Uploads

Download a copy of Deskproto (DeskProto: 3D CNC machining for non-machinists ); it will write the code from your STL mesh and run it for you (Create/Extra/Send NC code to machine). You don't need Mach3 if you've got the Roland control software installed and working. The demo will expire after a month, but if you're a hobbyist you can purchase it for less than $300, which is not bad compared to a dead machine.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Download a copy of Deskproto (DeskProto: 3D CNC machining for non-machinists ); it will write the code from your STL mesh and run it for you (Create/Extra/Send NC code to machine). You don't need Mach3 if you've got the Roland control software installed and working. The demo will expire after a month, but if you're a hobbyist you can purchase it for less than $300, which is not bad compared to a dead machine.

Ran the trial version last night worked a treat just need to work out how tool changes work then will be up and running with lots more to learn I am sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Those machines don't have an automatic toolchanger, so just write a separate NC file for each tool you want to use, and run it after you've changed them and re-zeroed the Z axis.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]