Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Windows XP end of Life April 8 2014

Here is one of the reasons I prefer Linux over Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...f-support.aspx

=============================
    What is end of support?

After 12 years, support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 8.1. Customers moving to a modern operating system will benefit from dramatically enhanced security, broad device choice for a mobile workforce, higher user productivity, and a lower total cost of ownership through improved management capabilities.

What does this mean?

It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP. Security updates patch vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malware and help keep users and their data safer. PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014, should not be considered to be protected, and it is important that you migrate to a current supported operating system – such as Windows 8.1 – so you can receive regular security updates to protect their computer from malicious attacks.

Potential risks of staying with Windows XP

Running Windows XP SP3 in your environment after April 8, 2014 may expose you to potential risks, such as:
    Security:

Without critical Windows XP security updates, your PC may become vulnerable to harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software which can steal or damage your business data and information. Anti-virus software will also not be able to fully protect you once Windows XP itself is unsupported.
    Compliance:

Businesses that are governed by regulatory obligations such as HIPAA may find that they are no longer able to satisfy compliance requirements. More information on HHS’s view on the security requirements for information systems that contain electronic protected health information (e-PHI) can be found here (HHS HIPAA FAQ - Security Rule).
    Lack of Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Support:

Many software vendors will no longer support their products running on Windows XP as they are unable to receive Windows XP updates. For example, the new Office takes advantage of the modern Windows and will not run on Windows XP.
    Hardware Manufacturer support:

Most PC hardware manufacturers will stop supporting Windows XP on existing and new hardware. This will also mean that drivers required to run Windows XP on new hardware may not be available.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Windows XP end of Life April 8 2014

End of Main Stream support for Windows 7 is ending soon ==> Jan 13, 2015

=================================================
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows Help

Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support

Windows XP Service Pack 3 April 14, 2009 April 8, 2014

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012 April 11, 2017

Windows 7 * Service Pack 1 January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020

Windows 8 Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018 January 10, 2023

======================================
    What is the difference between Mainstream Support, Extended Support, and online self-help support for software products?

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is one of the reasons I prefer Linux over Microsoft:
    What other software company offers free updates for 12 years?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What other software company offers free updates for 12 years?
    With Linux there is no issue with updates being free.
    Most of the code is open source and always available.
    Also the software is not locked to a particular computer, so you can move your software from one machine to another.
    Or install it on two or three or four or ... machines.

Migration is not nearly as easy to do with a Windows based machine.
    Each machine requires its own license for Windows and most of the applications.
    Many of the applications cost a fair amonut of money and may require more money to buy ?upgrades? to the new operationg system.

What about all of the CNC machines out there that require PC drivers.
    What if the CNC manufactuer goes out of business or decides not to support your hardware any more.

Note: I have a old scanner, which is not a CNC machine, but still is a good example.
    The drivers for the scanner run on 2000 and XP but no drivers were written for the newer verions of Windows.
    Now I have a scanner that I will soon only be able to use as a boat anchor.
    What about those $1,000, $5,000, $10,000 CNC machines, laser engravers etc. that are PC controlled and require some type of driver?
    What happens when there are no new drivers for these?

================================================== ======
    This what microsoft says to do when your OS reaches end of life

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...f-support.aspx

How do I migrate off Windows XP?

Small to Medium Business:

There are many options for small and medium businesses considering moving to a modern PC with the latest productivity and collaboration tools. Small to mid-size organizations (<500 employees) should locate a Microsoft Certified Partner to understand the best options to meet their business needs. If your current PC meets the system requirements for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you can buy Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8.1 Pro from a local retailer or Microsoft Certified Partner. If your PC does not meet system requirements, consider purchasing a new business PC with Windows 8.1 Pro.
    Home PC Users:

To stay protected after support ends, you have some options. The first option is to upgrade your current PC. Very few older computers will be able to run Windows 8.1, which is the latest version of Windows. We recommend that you download and run the Windows Upgrade Assistant to check if your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 8.1 and then follow the steps in the tutorial to upgrade if your PC is able. For more detailed information, read the FAQ. You can also purchase a new PC. If your current PC can't run Windows 8.1, it might be time to consider shopping for a new one. Be sure to explore our great selection of new PCs. They're more powerful, light weight, and stylish than ever before—and with an average price that's considerably less expensive than the average PC was 10 years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

So tell me is there still support for Red Hat 5?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the real issue is that Linux won't do everything he wants, so he's "forced" to use Windows.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Windows xp on the pc's in my shop. I have not done any security upgrades for xp and it still runs great. That's because I use a modern pc for getting online and would never let my cnc computer's anywhere near the internet. As for driver support modern pc's with Windows can run older hardware in compatability mode so the old drivers should still work on new pc's. There comes a point where it's not reasonable to expect a company to support a older out of date product. It's also not right to expect companies to make drivers for there hardware to be supported by software that's no longer commercially available.

Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

there are still possible to buy new computer, that runs dos 3.3 !!!!!!!

on ebay always hundreds of listings about old computer in very good condition..

best example the embroidering systems.. many of them using filesystems , that neither dos, nor windows not capable to read n write..

new windows only need for new programs..
    most old program can be run with compatibility settings..

those old cnc machines, can be upgraded to a new control... way less cost, than a new cnc equipment..

if a computer not hooked on the internet, then theres no any reason for any update.. computers unlikely human dont get virus from air :-)

i think we should interpret this end of support, as microsoft dont makes any new development for the win xp..
    in reality still their forums open for any microsoft program.. and i believe if theres question, some microsoft employee even answer for..

see this below..

Opening More than 15 Files in MS-DOS Version 3.3 and Later

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am a convert to Linux. Especially for CNC. But this doesn't have to be a us vs them debate.
    I still do all of my CAD CAM on windows (8) and am writing this ony my Android (Linux based) phone.

Each has strengths and weaknesses. ......

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    So tell me is there still support for Red Hat 5?
    With old versions of RedHat OS, you can still install the software on a PC that supports it and on as many PCs as you wish.

With Microsoft XP you can only legally install one copy and
    beginning with XP, when you install the software it has to be validated by a Microsoft website/server.
    If Microsoft decided to turn off the server that allows your OS software to run, then you will have problems. It might still run but probably with much limited functionality.

Downloads
    Uploads

12 yr old pc or software what good are either , xp is reduced to a shop grade software , and 12 yr old emc ???
    its like complaining that hand cranks are no longer available for autos , lada might possibly still have one and a 20 yr old would , but who wants to drive a lada

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........