I am starting this thread to bring attention to the fact that PyCam is not able to open SVG files when installed on WinXP SP3. Using all available documentation and recommendations on the official project page does not result in an installation capable of reading its own save file format, even after installing nearly a dozen support tools.
I have made multiple posts on the SourceForge forum and have received zero responses, hopefully this community can provide some guidance. That forum is here and I will add more information as I get it: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pyc.../topic/5132525
I am able to open simple DXF files and generate tool paths without issue however I am unable to open any SVG file, including examples bundled with the installer. Here are the latest steps I have taken to install this. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed? Thank you.
Fresh install, all previous programs uninstalled beforehand.
1) Install python2.5-gtk-opengl
3) Install pycam-0.5.1.win32
4) Attempt to open provided example AVG file "multilayer_engrave.svg". Result: fails to open, PyCam suggests installing
5) Install Inkscape-0.48.2-1-win32: Inkscape opens successfully after install.
7) Attempt to open provided example AVG file "multilayer_engrave.svg". Result: Error "SVGImporter failed to execute
'pstoedit'The system cannot find the file specified. Maybe you need to install pstoedit"
8) pstoedit installation notes point out that GraphicsMagick is required so prepare to install that.
8.a) Before this, GraphicsMagick installation notes point out GhostScript is required so installing that first: gs905w32
10) Install GraphicsMagick with all options checked: GraphicsMagick-1.3.14-Q8-windows-dll
10.a) Error during install: "Unable to execute file: ppm ShellExecute failed; code 2. The system cannot find the path
10.b) Press OK on error popup, next popup says: "DllRegisterServer in C:\Program
10.c) Press OK on that popup.
10.d) run command line conversion example 'gm convert logo: logo.jpg' RESULT: works as expected, logo displays.
12) Install pstoeditsetup_win32 (version 184.108.40.206), install all optional components
14) Launch PyCam, Attempt to open provided example AVG file "multilayer_engrave.svg". Result: ERROR
"15:08 INFO Psyco is not available (performance will probably suffer slightly)
15:08 INFO Enabled 2 parallel local processes
15:08 INFO Font directory: C:\Python25\share\pycam\fonts
15:08 INFO Imported STL model: 839 vertices, 0 edges, 1444 triangles
15:08 INFO Successfully converted SVG file to EPS file
15:08 WARNING SVGImporter: failed to convert EPS file (c:\docume~1\jason~1.sla\locals~1\temp\tmp0fwbdv.eps) to DXF file
(c:\docume~1\jason~1.sla\locals~1\temp\tmpepbs21.dxf): pstoedit: version 3.60 / DLL interface 108 (built: Aug 27 2011 -
release build - MS VC++ 1600 - 32-bit) : Copyright (C) 1993 - 2011 Wolfgang Glunz Problem during opening C:\Program
Files\pstoedit\analyze.dll:Recursion too deep; the stack overflowed. Problem during opening of pstoedit driver plugin:
C:\Program Files\pstoedit\analyze.dll. This is no problem as long the driver in this library is not needed. Possibly you
need to install further libraries and/or extend the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (*nix) or PATH (Windows) environment variables."
14.a) Verified that "C:\Program Files\pstoedit\" is already present in windows PATH
15) Copy all DLL files from GraphicsMagick directory to pstoedit directory
16) Launch PyCam, Attempt to open provided example AVG file "multilayer_engrave.svg". Result: ERROR popup:
"pstoedit.exe Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ?construct@?$allocator@VVPath@Magick@@@std@@QAEXPAVVPath@Magick@@$$QAV34@@Z could not be located
in the dynamic link library CORE_RL_Magick++_.dll."
16.a) After selecting OK on first error popup, a second error popup displays:
"pstoedit - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetImageProperty could not be located in the dynamic link library CORE_RL_magick_.dll."
16.b) After selecting OK on second error popup, a third error popup displays:
"pstoedit - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ConstantString could not be located in the dynamic link library CORE_RL_magick_.dll."
16.c) The error popup in 16.b displays 8 more times. Program now hangs with pstoedit cmd line window open but nothing
17) STUCK HERE, UNSURE HOW TO PROCEED