Newbie Cross-section image output

Thread: Cross-section image output

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cross-section image output

I was wondering if by some means it's possible to take a 3D model and obtain a set of 2D image files (.bmp, .jpeg) of cross-sections of a given thickness that would be ready for viewing or printing on paper.

I know Photoshop CS3/4 can view cross sections of certain 3D model files and save as images easily enough, but I can imagine this to be considerably labor intensive; something automatic would be desirable.

I heard from a friend that certain 3D modeling software (like ProE) is able to output a file type consisting of a stack of cross-sections to be used by a rapid prototyper, but I have no idea if something like that could be used toward my end goal.

Any help, suggestions, or redirection would be appreciated - thanks for your time!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Vectric Cut3D will let you slice a 3D model, & output g-code. Is that what your after?

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Switcher

I know it may seem odd, but I'm actually not looking to output to a machine via code--at least not initially. I'm really looking for straight up image files :P As if I were to print them out and assemble a model by cutting them out and stacking them.

Elsewhere on the forums, someone said that Vega DATA-View can go from *.plt to g-code. Can it go backwards?--(g-code to *.plt) Then maybe I could get it in something like CorelDraw and get an image out.

Maybe there's software to go from a 3D model to a set of plotter/laser cutter *.plt's directly? That might be useful.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It took me some time before realizing that the message was sent on 7 of October an not on 10 of July. Here in Italy dates are different... anyway I hope it's not too late for a suggestion.

http://www.freesteel.co.uk/wpblog/slicer/

If I understood what you are looking for.. slice.exe will do the job.

All the best
    Sandro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Perfect! Thank you greatly, safecnc - much appreciated!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cross-section image output

Use CamBam. He works perfekt with cross section