Converting 3ds and max files to dxf, iges, stl....

Thread: Converting 3ds and max files to dxf, iges, stl....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Converting 3ds and max files to dxf, iges, stl....

Hi,
    Anyone know of a good program to convert 3d files (*.3ds, *.max, *.lwo) into
    iges, stp, stl, or dxf files?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.micromouse.ca/index.html

Afaik, you can't convert .max files, and I doubt you'll get iges from a .3ds file.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Even if you could get an iges file, it wouldn't have smooth surfaces. 3D Max is a polygonal modeler, which will create a bunch of facets instead of a smooth surface (click on image below to see larger version).

jgro

Attached Images Attached Images

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jgro View Post
    Even if you could get an iges file, it wouldn't have smooth surfaces. 3D Max is a polygonal modeler, which will create a bunch of facets instead of a smooth surface (click on image below to see larger version).

jgro

3DS Max files CAN be converted to other formats using 3D Exploration 1.5... there's a link to this in the "share your parts or art" thread on the zone. it will also convert .3DS and .LWO without difficulty.

It's a non-expiring demo.. which you're supposed to register.. but registration is not actually possible as the website to register has been taken down...

it is an older application.. so it may not convert files from the most recent versions of 3ds max.. there are a wide variety of output formats.. IGS /IGES doesn't seem to be listed... but as pointed out above.. MOST 3dsmax files are polygonal.. but you can get .STL or .DXF without problem...

I say MOST 3DSMax files are polygonal because 3DSMax version 7 onwards can work directly with the IGS/IGES format and has full surface modeling features. However not many (if any) people provide stock NURBS models.. so your .MAX files are likely to be MESH surfaces.. although without seeing the files I couldn't be adamant about this..

hope this helps

Danny

What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default THANKS!!!!

Danny, Thanks for the info.
    Jeff:rainfro:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lo logico seria convertir de 3ds y max a dwg o dxf por ser programas de la misma casa y alli es mas facil pasarlo a Mastercam u otro sofware cad cam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Danny, could you post a link to that program from the list your arts or parts section, I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pacojohnson View Post
    Danny, could you post a link to that program from the list your arts or parts section, I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Hi There,

the link to 3D Exploration in that thread is below. This is NOT opensource.. just a non-expiring demo that remains fully functional after the demo period expires... Demo's of later versions DO expire...

Right Hemisphere no longer distribute the v1.5 demo as it's impossible to register it.. so you can't be blamed for continuing to use it unregistered..

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...2&d=1210930947

Hope this helps

Danny

What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello!
    I am glad to welcome all to this wonderful forum, I must say a great resource on which collected a huge amount of useful information and smart helpful people. Long since I read, but here's the first time confronted with a problem that is hardly brighten.

What I have:
    model format. max
    3ds max
    unigraphics

What I need:
    surpass this model in unigraphics and create on its basis the control program

What I did:
    through numerous experiments with converting files (DXF, DWG, IGS, IGES, OBJ ...) I managed to drive the model in unigraphics, but work with it fully fails because this model depends as what is not clear element which can not be moved or scaled . it can not do because of the fact that when trying to select an object, he does not stand out.

Optional:
    model originally is hollow with a minimum wall thickness, maby it must be converted into another object

please, help me deal with the problem...

sorry for my english

Last edited by Cahes; 12-23-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Same question (*.max,*.dxf) , need either

ACIS .sat
    BLADE GEN .bgd
    MONTE CARLO N-PARTICLE .mcnp
    CATIVA V5 .CATPart / .CATProduct
    IGES .igs / .iges
    PARASOLID .x_t / .x_b
    STEP .stp

Thanks, Felix

Downloads
    Uploads

You can upload the file to CNC Mentor.com: | CAD Library and it will add it to the library generate preview images, a turntable animated gif, and export in obj, dwg, dxf, 3ds, iges and step.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DIY CNC Router (JGRO) Toolbox Foam Layout pt2: DIY CNC Router (JGRO) Toolbox Foam Layout pt2 - KendinCos

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DIY CNC Router (JGRO) Toolbox Foam Layout pt2: http://play.kendincos.com/160168/Wfj...ayout-pt2.html

Downloads
    Uploads

max files can be converted to solids, inside 3dsmax..

3d faces, as obj, 3ds or stl files ... i think rhino new plugin the clayoo can do that..

it was always tough on modeling.. there was no way to reversing a mesh made from a solid..

Clayoo - Clay Modeling for Rhino - Clayoo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I'm developing a free online 3D file converter. You can find it at: 3DTransform.com - 3D Printing File Converter

Currently the app will convert these file types to .STL: .3ds .ase .dxf .stla .stlb .wrl .iv .obj .swv .gmod .iv

In addition to converting the file, it will optionally render an image of the new .STL file in your browser.

I hope to add support for more formats soon.

Sincerely,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo2001 View Post
    Hi,
    Anyone know of a good program to convert 3d files (*.3ds, *.max, *.lwo) into
    iges, stp, stl, or dxf files?

Thanks,
    Jeff