G-Code Ripper - Scale, Rotate and Split G-code - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: G-Code Ripper - Scale, Rotate and Split G-code

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G-Code Ripper - Scale, Rotate and Split G-code

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    @ mcphill
    On a board that is placed on the router table the user finds the centers of three holes placed at a reasonable distance from each other and feeds their actual coordinates to the program. The program already has interpreted the G-code for drilling, determines the deviations between project and real coordinates and with the help of transformation matrix generates G-code which will hit the exact drill spots no matter the board is misaligned.
    The reason I mentioned it was because G-code Ripper already can:
    - read and visualize G-code
    - rotate the work plane

Hope I managed to explain it right.
    I am basically asking the same thing, for a different reason. Instead of using "extra" holes that need to be centered when you flip the board, it would be nice to pick 3 drilled holes (with "known" positions on the board) and use them to align the board for milling back side. This way you don't need alignment pins and you don't need to worry about finding/placing pins on the center line. Just fix the board down after the front side is milled and drilled, pick 3 drilled holes, and "tell" the software the coordinates of those holes (maybe also give the program the "real" position in the unedited gCode?). Then probe the board and mill the back side...

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Can it do a simple mirror image of the code? I'm working on an asymmetric 3D item and I need to have a left and a right one. Being able to flip the code will save me a ton of "quality time" with my 3D software and HeeksCAD.

Downloads
    Uploads

@Galane, Sorry, G-Code Ripper does not have a mirror option.

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Downloads
    Uploads

How hard would it be to add that feature?

Downloads
    Uploads

It would not be terribly difficult but like everything it would take time.

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

I was hoping someone could shed more light on the preparation of the gcode in gcode ripper please. I used Mach3 and want to do engravings.

I`m in the dark and having problems with the zero setting of the z-axis. All is going to plan and the probing is working correctly. The machine PAUSE and once i click to proceed, the tool moves to the correct spot , but then it plunges too deep. As i`m doing engravings , i rarely need to drop below .25mm , so its very little drop. I`m presuming a lot of things, so that is propably the problem here on the z-axis.

Since the cutting tool tip is set to "0" in a small drilled spot , i presume this position will be held as the zero point and all engravings will be made from this point downward. So i set my zero to be just ontop of the wood. Is this assumption correct ?
    I presume i cannot have any offsets or offset plates as this will upset the zero of the cutting tool tip.

The basic instructions then instructs to put the probing tip where the machine cutting tip was set to x-0 y-0 z-0 . These offsets are then inserted into the gcode ripper.

My question now. What happens when the probe tool is higher or lower than 0 ..... this offset i assume can be used in the z-offset then ... correct ? My probe and cutting tool will not crash as i have enough spacing around and no clamps standing out.
    Obviously i`m missing something as the cutting tool plunges way to deep as i`m misunderstanding the z-axis zero setting.

Am i correct to say that in my case i should not make my zero on the z-axis below my cutting board as im` trying to make an engraving ?
    I should not have offset ticked and not be using the zero z-axis plate ?
    Obviously when the z-axis is slightly lower than the cutting tool (so it will have to be raised) ...say bout 2mm this z-axis offset will be calculated correctly once entered into the offset menu in the ripper program ?

Is my basic understanding correct ?

The last trial run had my cutter plunges nearly 10mm into the wood. This depth i entered as i had to raise my probe this high so it was atop the wood. Surely this offset should have compensated back to zero ???? or not ? what am i missing

thanx
    Andre

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andre007 View Post
    What happens when the probe tool is higher or lower than 0 ..... this offset i assume can be used in the z-offset then ... correct ?
    If the tool is higher or lower than the probe there should be a value other than zero entered in the z offset for G-Code Ripper. If I remember correctly the offset will be negative if the probe is higher than the cutting tool because the offset is the position of the tool relative to the probe.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre007 View Post
    Am i correct to say that in my case i should not make my zero on the z-axis below my cutting board as im` trying to make an engraving ?
    I should not have offset ticked and not be using the zero z-axis plate ?

Obviously when the z-axis is slightly lower than the cutting tool (so it will have to be raised) ...say bout 2mm this z-axis offset will be calculated correctly once entered into the offset menu in the ripper program ?

Is my basic understanding correct ?
    After the relative position of the probe and tool are established the stock to be machined should be positioned and the coordinate system in Mach/LinuxCNC should be reset relative to the stock to be machined. Since you are probing the position of the highest point (or approximately the highest point on your stock should be the new zero position.

I hope that answered your question. If not keep asking.

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scorch, Im trying to install this in my ubuntu 10.04 RTI computer. I keep getting errors. Can you point out what Im doing wrong? thanks

mark@ws5:~/Downloads$ cd ripper
    mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$ ls
    g-code_ripper-009.py G-Code_Ripper-0.09_src.zip
    G-Code_Ripper-0.09_src g-code_ripper-009.zip
    mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$ python py2exe_setup.py py2exe
    python: can't open file 'py2exe_setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
    mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$

Downloads
    Uploads

py2exe is used to create a Windows executable. (i.e. it is not needed for Linux)

For Linux you just need to have the python file "g-code_ripper-009.py" and have Python installed. Just type "python g-code_ripper-009.py" at the command prompt to run it. You need to run the command from within the folder containing the python file for the command to work.

See if that works.

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Downloads
    Uploads

What would it take to have this do mirroring on X or Y axis, with the proper cut direction, cutter compensation etc so it does it right? Newer CNC machines have mirror G-Code commands, but my little old ProLIGHT does not. It can rotate, offset, scale but *not* mirror.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cruzin View Post
    Hi Scorch, Im trying to install this in my ubuntu 10.04 RTI computer. I keep getting errors. Can you point out what Im doing wrong? thanks

mark@ws5:~/Downloads$ cd ripper
    mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$ ls
    g-code_ripper-009.py G-Code_Ripper-0.09_src.zip
    G-Code_Ripper-0.09_src g-code_ripper-009.zip
    mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$ python py2exe_setup.py py2exe
    python: can't open file 'py2exe_setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
    mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$
    Its solved. thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by scorch View Post
    py2exe is used to create a Windows executable. (i.e. it is not needed for Linux)

For Linux you just need to have the python file "g-code_ripper-009.py" and have Python installed. Just type "python g-code_ripper-009.py" at the command prompt to run it. You need to run the command from within the folder containing the python file for the command to work.

See if that works.
    Got it thanks, great program

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Galane View Post
    What would it take to have this do mirroring on X or Y axis, with the proper cut direction, cutter compensation etc so it does it right? Newer CNC machines have mirror G-Code commands, but my little old ProLIGHT does not. It can rotate, offset, scale but *not* mirror.
    Since you said it can scale, try using a negative number, i.e., scale for X is -1 & Y is -1 instead of just a percentage or factor. I believe that works for some software but can't recall which one at the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd have to dig through the manual, the ancient, non-searchable, PDF manual wherin the text is all outlines with no actual text so it's not searchable. I read through it once and don't recall anything about negative numbers. I did some editing on it to fix problems. Someday I may just retype the whole thing so it will be searchable.

The software for it is for DOS and only DOS. If it was the less nice stepper motor version instead of the servo version, I could use the Windows software. (What sort of company does that?) One of these days I need to setup a RS232C capturing system to see if support can be worked up for LCNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got it thanks, great program
    Would it be possible to post some ripper gcode for one of the items on your site?

Downloads
    Uploads

Would it be possible to post some ripper gcode for one of the items on your site?
    I don't know if I have any of the files anymore. What are you interested in?

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know if I have any of the files anymore. What are you interested in?
    just something to look at like cutting the skull on the mouse.

Downloads
    Uploads

just something to look at like cutting the skull on the mouse.
    I will see what I can dig up later today. If I don't have the file I can make a new one.

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I will see what I can dig up later today. If I don't have the file I can make a new one.
    I attached a zip file with the files needed to create the Hackaday logo (Jolly Wrencher) on the mouse.

I included the following files:
    Hackaday_Logo.dxf --- DXF file of the logo
    Hackaday_Logo.ngc --- G-code file of the flat engraving
    Hackaday_Logo_probe_n_cut_offset.ngc --- G-code file that I used to create the carved mouse (includes offsets for my probe location)
    Hackaday_Logo_probe_n_cut.ngc --- G-code file that could create the carved mouse (the offsets were removed so the probe and tool are in the same location)

I am not sure what you want to do with the file but here they are if you are interested.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I attached a zip file with the files needed to create the Hackaday logo (Jolly Wrencher) on the mouse.

I included the following files:
    Hackaday_Logo.dxf --- DXF file of the logo
    Hackaday_Logo.ngc --- G-code file of the flat engraving
    Hackaday_Logo_probe_n_cut_offset.ngc --- G-code file that I used to create the carved mouse (includes offsets for my probe location)
    Hackaday_Logo_probe_n_cut.ngc --- G-code file that could create the carved mouse (the offsets were removed so the probe and tool are in the same location)

I am not sure what you want to do with the file but here they are if you are interested.
    Thanks, were anxious to check it out. thanks again.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast