Open Source V-Carving - Page 5

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Source V-Carving

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I seem to be going backwards. I've installed python3 and tkinter3 and tried that. Python3 complains that there is a syntax error in line118: print "%s" %text

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are a lot of changes in Python 3.x. I have not even attempted to make F-Engrave run under Python 3.x.

The safest version to use with F-Engrave is 2.7.

I think making F-Engrave work with Python 3.x make sense so I will push it higher on the list of my things to do.

Russell, I am sorry you are having such trouble getting the program running under Linux. (this type of problem was the genesis of the windows executable version. I am glad that is working for you)

Scorch

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by scorch View Post
    The safest version to use with F-Engrave is 2.7.
    Unfortunately I don't have that option.
    Russell, I am sorry you are having such trouble getting the program running under Linux. (this type of problem was the genesis of the windows executable version. I am glad that is working for you)
    No problem. I'll have to stick to Windoze for now.

Thanks for all your effort in making this program available.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

I could have sworn you had a PayPal donation button but I can't find it.
    I made a small sale and I'd like to donate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    I could have sworn you had a PayPal donation button but I can't find it.
    Nope, I don't have a donation button. No need to donate anything to me.

I made a small sale and I'd like to donate.
    I am pleased to hear that you are making some money with the help of F-Engrave.

Thanks for the offer.
    Scorch

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I'll keep posting my work here then
    If you want some wood I can send you some.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by russell2 View Post
    _tkinter.TclError: cannot use geometry manager pack inside . which already has slaves managed by grid
    OK, I was not reading Russell's error message as closely as I should have been. As I highlighted in bold above the error was due to the pack command after items were managed by grid. What! I don't use grid anywhere... Alas I found a grid call in F-Engrave. I did some digging and the grid call was a remnant from "engrave-11" I guess engrave used the grid manager not pack as I stated previously.

I made a live CD with PCLinux and tested F-engrave. With the lone grid() call I get the error that Russell reported. After I comment out the grid() call F-Engrave pops open no problem.

The Solution:
    On line 1083 comment out the line self.grid() with a #. So the file will look like this.

Frame.__init__(self, master)
    #self.grid()
    self.w = 780

This will be fixed in the next release. Additionally while I was working on this problem I have made some changes (to be included in the next revision) which will make F-Engrave work in python versions 2.5 through 3.3.

Scorch

Downloads
    Uploads

Too big for the machine, that didn't stop me.

I did something else but it didn't turn out.
    FEngrave at times cuts the same place, and it fuzzes/messes things up.
    Nothing a 3d milled inlay won't hide though

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Scorch. It now works in PCLinux there remains one problem ane one minor niggle.

First the niggle: Changing the font directory in Settings (to /usr/share/fonts/webcore) doesn't get saved and has to be done each time I start up. Not insurmountable as I can just copy the fonts to the default directory.

Now the problem: Opening a bitmap file produces the error message; "Unable To create path data from bitmap File." I have tried "potrace filename.bmp" in a terminal and it produces a working .eps file OK. PCLinux has Potrace version 1.8.

Any ideas on this.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

@Russell

F-Engrave needs Potrace version 1.10. The previous versions of Portrace cannot output DXF format.

Here is how you save settings from one F-Engrave session to the next:
    Quote Originally Posted by scorch View Post
    If you have some default options that you want to have as the initial settings every time you open F-Engrave you can do the following:

1. Open F-Engrave
    2. Change the settings to the settings you want to be the defaults
    3. Select [File - Save G-Code File]
    4. Save the file to config.ngc in you home directory (the default save location)

Every time you open up F-Engrave it will load the settings from that file.
    If you want the configuration file to be hidden you can rename it to .fengraverc

Scorch

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Scorch.

I'll have to see if I can get an update for Potrace.

Saving configuration - easy when you know how!

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default F-Engrave V1.00

I uploaded a new version of F-Engrave (1.00) to the F-Engrave web site.

Changes in Version 1.00:
    - Added support for DXF polyline entity "bulges" (CamBam uses polyline bulges in DXF exports)
    - Modified code to be compatible with Python 3. (F-Engrave now works with Python 2.5 through 3.3)
    - Removed stale references to the grid geometry manager (This fixes the PCLinux issue)
    - Made minor user interface changes

Other Stuff:
    If you have a program that exports DXF files and F-Engrave fails to import them for some reason feel free to send me a sample. There are a lot of entity types in the DXF standard. If I know someone wants a specific type added I will look into it to see how hard it would be to add.

FYI: I am using the tenths place (1.X0) in the version number for versions with new features and the hundredths place (1.0X) for bug fix releases. That is why I skipped 0.94 through 0.99.

Scorch

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome!
    Will be making more things with FEngrave soon

Downloads
    Uploads

Today I tried the windows version for the first time. Here are some remarks:

I tried changing the settings from inch to mm as I had done before. I fount the .py file and changed stuff as I did before. But f-engrave did not start with the changed parameters???
    I tried the same changes on my ubuntu machine and it worked fine.

As you are working so quickly I need to change parameters quite often. Could you put them more at the top?
    I'd also welcome more parameters marked with comments so f.i. I can change the default file locations.

Finally, calculating the v-carving was a lot quicker on the windows box than on ubuntu. like 2 minutes compared to 22 or more. Could that be because on ubuntu I open f-engrave through linc? I think I see less circles on windows, could that be part of it?

Edit: *** tried this self.v_step_len.set("2.54") #change for "inch" to "mm" from "0.01" to "2.54"
    That gave the same behaviour/speed as when I tried on windows and was unable to get mm set as the base measurements.***

Keep up the good work Scorch!

Last edited by CaptainVee; 11-18-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    Sven http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/320812-aluminium-1250x1250x250-router.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I did some nice Ipe signs I'll post up shortly.
    The only suggestion I have currently is an option to have "slower" Z movement so that I don't engage the bit too much on the cut-ins, since router bearings dislike plunges.... Perhaps a couple check boxes so you can change the post, or maybe I could just edit the post somewhere....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVee View Post
    I tried changing the settings from inch to mm as I had done before. I found the .py file and changed stuff as I did before. But f-engrave did not start with the changed parameters???
    The windows executable file is made from the .py file but no longer references the .py file. So changing the .py has no effect. In both Linux and Windows changing the default values is best achieved by saving a "config.ngc" file in your home directory. See my post from a couple of days ago for more details.
    (You can change the python file and get the results you are looking for under Windows but you need to have Python installed.)
    As you are working so quickly I need to change parameters quite often. Could you put them more at the top?
    I'd also welcome more parameters marked with comments so f.i. I can change the default file locations.
    Changing a lot of values in the python file is like banging your head against the wall. You may feel better when you stop. It is much easier to save a config.ngc file. The only thing that can't be saved in the "config.ngc" file is the default file save location. I am considering adding a setting or command line option the default save location. I have not yet decided how I want to handle it.
    Finally, calculating the v-carving was a lot quicker on the windows box than on ubuntu. like 2 minutes compared to 22 or more. Could that be because on ubuntu I open f-engrave through linc? I think I see less circles on windows, could that be part of it?

Edit: *** tried this self.v_step_len.set("2.54") #change for "inch" to "mm" from "0.01" to "2.54"
    That gave the same behavior/speed as when I tried on windows and was unable to get mm set as the base measurements.***
    A little explanation for people following along. The item CaptainVee changed in the python file "self.v_step_len.set("2.54")" is the variable that controls the "Sub-Step Length" value in the V-Carve Settings window. When using mm units the default value is extremely small .01 mm Changing this default to 0.254 mm is equivalent to the default value in inches (0.254mm = 0.01 in) so that is a more reasonable setting when using mm. Changing the setting to 2.54mm is a little too big but will work in some cases. More details on what this setting does is on the F-Engrave manual page.

Scorch

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Scorch, I'll try to wrap my head around the config file (it may be simpler than it seems to be) and change the number to 0.254

Sven http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/320812-aluminium-1250x1250x250-router.html

Downloads
    Uploads

The only suggestion I have currently is an option to have "slower" Z movement so that I don't engage the bit too much on the cut-ins, since router bearings dislike plunges.... Perhaps a couple check boxes so you can change the post, or maybe I could just edit the post somewhere....
    I changed the plunging behavior a while back so the bit plunges at an angle when V-Carving. I will have to think a little about how the plunge speed might be changed independent of the normal feed rate.

Is the plunge rate only an issue when you are starting a new cut after a rapid move or are there other times also?

Scorch

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a bug, well I think it's one.
    Write something like "oo" then save the file then write "HL" or some higher cap letters. Then combine the results into Linux CNC or a plotter, and you get strange scaling. It seems that if it's all a certain height then it's scaled to 3" or whatever you set. Then if it's involving caps and you combine it with something that's only lower case then you have issues.
    I know it sounds kind of trivial, but I thought I'd point that out.

Ahaha posted when you did.
    I see it as a potential issue when starting a cut, maybe other might have it when it's cutting downwards but I doubt it.
    I did a bunch of signs(I'll post a picture in a while, they are solid Ipe/harder then ebony) just a bit ago, they turned out great but the feeds could have been higher if the first plunges were slower. Just a suggestion; I'm incredibly happy with the program right now as it is

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is what I did.... (yep I removed a part of the address.. You have 1,000 combinations)
    They were sticking out of the machine a bit... Umm around 1.5'

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast