Build Thread FLA 100 Super Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLA 100 Super Build Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow FLA 100 Super Build Thread

This is going to be my build thread of the FLA-100 Router. I plan to start posting pictures, maybe videos soon. I am going to be asking for tons of help here also, as this is my first cnc machine, ever.

First question of the day: I have drilled all of my cold rolled rails (carveone thankyou!, saved me $60 by using the jb weld idea..) And the holes are "pretty much there." The bolts fit nicely, however both x axis long rails and the y rail are a little off, even though I used a magnifying glass and a knife as a scribe, I still managed to be human I guess. The rails are not square to the 8020 frame. I think I found a solution and I want to pass it by everyone so I don't mess this up. I would re drill the holes 11/32 or 23/64 (3/8th seems too large) from the original 5/16 and now use the play to get the rails square to the extrusion. I think those 11 fully tightened bolts will prevent the rail from coming out of square while its running, but I could be wrong. What does everyone think?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Just make the holes 1/32" bigger and be done with it, that's what I did. Once you torque the bolts, you won't have to worry about movement.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I actually just ordered the steel rails to drill my self this week. Where did you get the dimensions of where the holes should be placed? Im assuming its about half and inch for overhang plus 3/4 inch to get the rest of the way to the center of the t-slot. So it would be something like this.

|----1.25"---|--0.75"----|
    [ ========| |======= ] <-- That's an end on look at the 2" rail

Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

Check out my 8020 build
    http://stevetotheo.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

The big rail is 2.25 - 1.5 - 2.25, with the 1.5 being the gap between the 2 screw holes.

The two thin rails have holes .75" from the side that you do not want the carriages to ride. Spacing is up to you but you can get the exact spacing from the e-drawings that are on the fla website.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Progress so far...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00065-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00067-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00068-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00069-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to see your progress! Im only a little ahead of you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA 100 Super Build Thread-imag0222-jpg  
    Check out my 8020 build

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Not anymore.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00045-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00052-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00056-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lol. I wasn't going to even work on my machine today but after seeing this I had to. I'm still lacking drive screws and other power train stuff but I was glad to get everything mocked up. I need to trim the z rail and 8020 support.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA 100 Super Build Thread-imag0228-jpg  
    Check out my 8020 build

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

I'm pretty much finished! I setup the new dust extractor and now I just need to install the k2 mount and mill a dust shoe. Should be fun.

Also, I have a 1/4in endmill that I am thinking of using to surface the entire MDF cutting area... how deep should I surface, 1/8th in?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00047-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00070-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00071-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-dsc00072-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KriegKuts View Post
    I'm pretty much finished! I setup the new dust extractor and now I just need to install the k2 mount and mill a dust shoe. Should be fun.

Also, I have a 1/4in endmill that I am thinking of using to surface the entire MDF cutting area... how deep should I surface, 1/8th in?
    You really don't need to go that deep (mine was within .015"±). You could probably get away with .030"-.045".

By the way, which limit/reed switches are those (whatever they are), and where did you get them? Were they easy to set up?

Downloads
    Uploads

Honeywell hall sensors. They are DIY using the ideas from this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...e_easy-37.html

I changed it so that the led is always on if the limit sw is plugged in. Using phone rj11 wiring and sockets. working swell so far.

Goop is your friend in setting these up. I like them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would re drill the holes 11/32 or 23/64 (3/8th seems too large) from the original 5/16 and now use the play to get the rails square to the extrusion. I think those 11 fully tightened bolts will prevent the rail from coming out of square while its running, but I could be wrong. What does everyone think?
    I haven't got to the stage you're at yet (still waiting on many components) but from the reading i've done, and my personal experience, this is definitely the way to go. Drill the holes out and use a dial gauge to square up the rails and torque it down.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, Unless you have a cnc to cut the holes already, I dont think a human can get all holes aligned properly. I used 11/32 bits.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for lack of updates. Looks like all is working well and I have already made some first cuts! I have yet to surface the table but im just doing test cuts and learning for now anyway. New pics coming soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Strange rail issue

Hi everyone, machine has been running great, however I am getting tiny flakes of steel, almost gold flake in thickness on the rails which eventually makes the carriages noisy while moving and im sure it is affecting accuracy. How do I fix this? I will upload pics later.

Making chips, day by day

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone, machine has been running great, however I am getting tiny flakes of steel, almost gold flake in thickness on the rails which eventually makes the carriages noisy while moving and im sure it is affecting accuracy. How do I fix this? I will upload pics later.
    Are you sure you're getting flakes of steel? If so, that sounds bad. I'm wondering if the flakes are actually compressed sawdust with some oil mixed in for color. You could confirm whether or not the flakes are steel with a magnet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh yeah, 100% sure they are steel. I think its coming off the cold rolled rails. They easily are picked up by the magnet.

Making chips, day by day

Downloads
    Uploads

Pics:

I can take more pics if these are out of focus.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA 100 Super Build Thread-img014-jpg   FLA 100 Super Build Thread-img018-jpg  
    Making chips, day by day

Downloads
    Uploads

You should not be getting steel flakes!

Something might be sliding rather than rolling. Do you see the flakes on each axis or just one? If on one axis, is it mostly on one part of the axis? If so I'd look there to make certain that all the wheels are turning. If the flakes are everywhere and fairly uniform on each axis, I'd worry about a defect in the cold rolled steel. Or many sliding rather than rolling wheels!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    You should not be getting steel flakes!

Something might be sliding rather than rolling. Do you see the flakes on each axis or just one? If on one axis, is it mostly on one part of the axis? If so I'd look there to make certain that all the wheels are turning. If the flakes are everywhere and fairly uniform on each axis, I'd worry about a defect in the cold rolled steel. Or many sliding rather than rolling wheels!

It is on the X and Y axis. It only accumulates on one side of the cold steel. All of the bearings are properly contacting the steel and rolling. I cannot manually move any of the bearings by hand. The only idea I have is that I might have clamped down the carriage blocks too much when I tightened them up and now the bearings are hugging the steel rails so hard that they are being slowly 'eroded' from the weight and pressure. Any ideas?

Making chips, day by day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast