DIY Servo controller - Page 103

Page 103 of 109 FirstFirst ... 35393100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2170

Thread: DIY Servo controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by contactirfu View Post
    Kreutz, I have 5000x5 (200v) caps for a DC 110v 20 amps supply. all connected in parallel using aluminum bars, the motors are 110v 7 amps contineous each. hope the above is ok. I am planning on a regenerative power dump circuit soon.

Its ok if I get a little less performance bcos I have chosen a same PS as that of motor rating bcos the ps is so expensive.

Hope the above means I am ok except for the 1 uF/400 V film capacitor in parallel. Do i need to use one on each electrolytic or just one for all is ok?

RGDS
    IRfan
    As many film capacitors as you can, worst case scenario: use at least one.

If your power supply voltage is the same as the motor rated voltage your maximum speed limit will be about 75% (HP UHU) of the rated motor value. If you can live with that maximum speed, then it is OK.

The regenerative clamp circuit helps also to make the servo response more stable, the UHU chip does not compensate against power supply voltage variation, so having a higher power supply voltage fluctuation margin, during the operation, will make proper PID tuning more difficult.

Regards,

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Quick questions

Quick questions:

1_ How many of you plan to use HP UHU boards for Spindle servo control only?
    2_ How many plan to use it for servo axis control only?

Maybe I should make a poll out of those questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

1. I plan on using two HP UHU on X and Y for my Mill.

2. I also plan on building a raising block for the mill to increase the spindle to bed clearance. Inside the block will be a spindle with R8 taper which will add a horizontal milling capabilities. Plan is to also use HP UHU for that. The Mill is the Grizzly G3616 (without the horizontal option G3617).

3. Knee will run with Stepper as will quill since speed isn't important there.
    I may add a DC Servo to my little Unimat DB200 but that will run with Manjeet's UHU board or a DCServo of my own design.

So my answer is both.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz View Post
    Quick questions:

Hi Kreutz,

I'm looking to use one for a 180V 400W spindle motor, and also a 90V 400W spindle motor.

Is the HP UHU available as a kit yet. and if so how do I get one.

Cheers,

Peter.

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Hi Kreutz,

I'm looking to use one for a 180V 400W spindle motor, and also a 90V 400W spindle motor.

Is the HP UHU available as a kit yet. and if so how do I get one.

Cheers,

Peter.
    Hello Peter;

The kits are available, for some time now, from Paul (tenmetalman) or Irfan (contactirfu). Just send them a private message.

The 180V motor will be limited to less than the maximum speed unless you do some component changes, it was originally designed for 150Vdc max. (was tested up to 185Vdc only).

Thank you,

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jcdammeyer View Post
    Hi,

1. I plan on using two HP UHU on X and Y for my Mill.

2. I also plan on building a raising block for the mill to increase the spindle to bed clearance. Inside the block will be a spindle with R8 taper which will add a horizontal milling capabilities. Plan is to also use HP UHU for that. The Mill is the Grizzly G3616 (without the horizontal option G3617).

3. Knee will run with Stepper as will quill since speed isn't important there.
    I may add a DC Servo to my little Unimat DB200 but that will run with Manjeet's UHU board or a DCServo of my own design.

So my answer is both.

John
    Thank you, John.

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Peter;

The kits are available, for some time now, from Paul (tenmetalman) or Irfan (contactirfu). Just send them a private message.

The 180V motor will be limited to less than the maximum speed unless you do some component changes, it was originally designed for 150Vdc max. (was tested up to 185Vdc only).

Thank you,

Kreutz.
    I Kreutz,

Thanks for the info. I can use a 90V 400W motor, so I may use that.

BTW, I have a few comments on the P&P machine you plan to purchase. I can PM it them if you like.

Cheers,

Peter.

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    I Kreutz,

Thanks for the info. I can use a 90V 400W motor, so I may use that.

BTW, I have a few comments on the P&P machine you plan to purchase. I can PM it them if you like.

Cheers,

Peter.

Please, PM me!!!

Kreutz.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick questions:

This time for splindle only... (Standard UHU for up to 200W, for X and Y on lathe.)

Jozsef

Downloads
    Uploads

hello,
    I think that a main direction is the use of cheap threadmill motors, the use of cheap power supply, in the threadmill electronic they do not use transformer or big capacitors (in micro Farad and not mega my mistake) they use igbt pwm
    because if we can avoid transformer ,big caps and cheap motors there is some room for a bit more expensive controller
    the 180V choice for threadmill is linked with economic consideration.

i will use it for spindle but due to the quality of the hp uhu i am going to use it for my servo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have already planned to use it on my servo and later on probably on a dc spindle too.

Those are going on my router http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=46998&page=8

having similar drives for all reduces a lot of problems!

Last edited by contactirfu; 06-04-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

Does anyone have a source for a 1.2KVA transformer 120VAC or 240VAC 60Hz in and 75VAC RMS 16 Amps out?

John
    Have you checked Ebay? I see quite a few transformers listed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    Have you checked Ebay? I see quite a few transformers listed.

Nope. I want something specific from a reputable transformer company. Hence the question. I know Hammond will make one. There are a few others too. Just thought I'd ask. Might be better to query the Yahoo MACH group.

Thanks

John

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I already found a few bugs in the MPLAB_C30 3.10B (student edition), and I am not even trying to do serious programming yet, just trying to initialize and test some dspic30 and dspic33 peripherals.
    If you haven't done so already, be sure to view the errata for the dspic33f version of interest before using it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    If you haven't done so already, be sure to view the errata for the dspic33f version of interest before using it.
    Thanks, I will look for it. I already have a workaround (using assembly) for the bugs I found, but maybe there is a better way, I don't like to modify the original include or header files.

The visual configuration program is a complete lost of time, it does not show most of the peripherals on my chip, unless there is an update I don't know about (using MPLAB_C(30) 8.10B student edition and 8.10 IDE), I also had some problems with alternate pins not recognized.

Regards,

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

HJoszi, Rokag3, and Contactirfu;

Thanks for the feedback.

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

I decided to post the code I am going to develop for the dsPic33 processor as "open source". Don't start asking for it, because 99% of it is not implemented yet, and I need to make sure it works without bugs before posting the code.

I want to make clear that what I am going to do is to offer a basic framework where other could add/modify features as per their own needs, the open code will implement a basic PID with speed and acceleration feed-forward and integral saturation, basic safety, quadrature Encoder, and step/dir interface.

My own vision of the "open source", is that is is not supposed to be a canned solution, but something to learn from, and help those interested into work on their own solutions.

Support will be very limited, because I need to move into other things and will not stay chained to that project.

The compiled code will be used on the upgrade (processor daughter-board) for the current HP UHU revision, the PC tuning interface will continue to be a simple terminal program UHU style, will probably be compatible with English UHU commands, except for a few new ones... Of course, it will be used with the current HP UHU hardware.

Don't expect to see sophisticated programing tricks or anything fancy because I am on the process of learning how to make dsPics work, I have not used them before.

Thanks,

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I will look for it. I already have a workaround (using assembly) for the bugs I found, but maybe there is a better way, I don't like to modify the original include or header files.

The visual configuration program is a complete lost of time, it does not show most of the peripherals on my chip, unless there is an update I don't know about (using MPLAB_C(30) 8.10B student edition and 8.10 IDE), I also had some problems with alternate pins not recognized.

Regards,

Kreutz.
    Out of curiosity would you post the C statements that cause improper code?

Thanks.
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

I decided to post the code I am going to develop for the dsPic33 processor as "open source". Don't start asking for it, because 99% of it is not implemented yet, and I need to make sure it works without bugs before posting the code.Kreutz.
    Hi,

In each file, put in the GPL header and a statement Copyright 2008 by Kreutz. Include in the zip the GPL COPYING document.

This does two things for you. Shows that the code is yours and that you retain the rights to it. See the GPL FAQ for more info on that. Anyone changing it and then producing a closed proprietary version from it must also release source code for the proprietary version.

Also, nothing prevents you from using that same GPL code (upgraded or improved or modified) in your own proprietary product for which you don't release the code. That's not considered 'polite' in the GPL community but not illegal simply because you own the copyright.

Nothing prevents someone else from also improving and making a DC Servo driver even better than your 'closed' version. But because they release the code, you could improve yours from theirs. However, at that point AFAIK, it's not yours anymore to release privately as a closed source product.

In other words it's a double edged sword. You get improvements and help from others but you lose control. Not actually a bad thing if it makes a better product.

My Electronic Lead Screw code will go GPL when I start shipping hardware.

John Dammeyer

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

In each file, put in the GPL header and a statement Copyright 2008 by Kreutz. Include in the zip the GPL COPYING document.

This does two things for you. Shows that the code is yours and that you retain the rights to it. See the GPL FAQ for more info on that. Anyone changing it and then producing a closed proprietary version from it must also release source code for the proprietary version.

Also, nothing prevents you from using that same GPL code (upgraded or improved or modified) in your own proprietary product for which you don't release the code. That's not considered 'polite' in the GPL community but not illegal simply because you own the copyright.

Nothing prevents someone else from also improving and making a DC Servo driver even better than your 'closed' version. But because they release the code, you could improve yours from theirs. However, at that point AFAIK, it's not yours anymore to release privately as a closed source product.

In other words it's a double edged sword. You get improvements and help from others but you lose control. Not actually a bad thing if it makes a better product.

My Electronic Lead Screw code will go GPL when I start shipping hardware.

John Dammeyer
    Thanks, John;

I learn something new everyday .

This code will be written mainly in C except for some configuration related statements written in assembly in order to avoid the bugs I already found.

Since the processor selected, working at 40 MIPS, is really an overkill for this application (my auto-justification for the "technical sin" is that it is really cheap), the PID routine will run in floating point arithmetic (there is a plain PID function in the DSP module for those who might like to optimize PID time, but is won't be necessary unless they want to add more features and need more processing power).

The code will be easily ported between members of the same family of processors. There will be no boot-loader for updates.

There will be no required hardware modification to the current HP UHU board in order to install this daughter-card "upgrade".

My next design will not include this code, this one will be a learning exercise in order to familiarize myself with the dsPic family and MPLAB development software.

The closed code design, will run one position PID loop with a torque PI loop inside. Both will be developed in Q15 fixed point math. Will require more processing power, and program memory. I want to include power supply ripple compensation, and Full intermittent torque feature (digitally controlled), which require extra MIPS and a thermal model of the motor. My plans also include a fuzzy adaptive auto-tuning on the PI (torque) loop (at least). No Potentiometers to adjust, no hardware changes for different (brushed DC Permanent Magnet only) motors.

The next prototype will use a 130V 40-50 Amps (peak) power stage (different from the HP UHU power stage), and smaller form factor. The whole package will probably be also cheaper to manufacture even when it will include two stacked PCBs, and complete electrical isolation...

Enough day-dreaming for today...

Thanks again,

Kreutz.

Page 103 of 109 FirstFirst ... 35393100101102103104105106 ... LastLast