DIY Servo controller - Page 62

Page 62 of 109 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2170

Thread: DIY Servo controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Kreutz's Revision

Man, Your something else, I'm not sure how we're going to repay all of your work, but I've got some ideas. Do you have any feel for when you'll have some rev.00 boards in your hands ? You didn't reply to my email so I assume (?) you solved your connector problem, I could pull a couple off of whats looking more and more like my spare parts Bridgeport CNC. Not the one that's given me so much grief, another one that I have in several boxes, Big boxes
    Paul/tenmetalman

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tenmetalman View Post
    Man, Your something else, I'm not sure how we're going to repay all of your work, but I've got some ideas. Do you have any feel for when you'll have some rev.00 boards in your hands ? You didn't reply to my email so I assume (?) you solved your connector problem, I could pull a couple off of whats looking more and more like my spare parts Bridgeport CNC. Not the one that's given me so much grief, another one that I have in several boxes, Big boxes
    Paul/tenmetalman

Paul;

I am sorry, I haven't had the time to check my e-mails yet, I still need the connectors. I will have the boards back (from China) in two weeks, I will place the order on Wednesday, because they cut the orders on that day. Meanwhile I will assemble the test station for the servo board, and dedicate some time to test my 4 axes bipolar stepper drive design.

Regards,

Kreutz

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Connectors

Kreutz, Please check your emails, Let me know if I've got the right one identified? I'll get the connectors to you toot sweet!
    Paul/tenmetalman

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Connectors for test !

Kreutz
    Is this the connector you need ? 97-3102A-18-19S — AMPHENOL — Circular
    Connector. 97-3102A-18-19S — AMPHENOL — Circular Connector
    97-3102A-18-19S — Circular Connector — 93F1226 Image is for illustrative
    purposes only.
    Please refer to product description AMPHENOL

Manufacturer: AMPHENOL

Newark Part Number: 93F1226

Manufacturer Part No: 97-3102A-18-19S

RoHS Compliance :
    Description

* Circular Connector
    * MIL SPEC:MIL-C-5015 A/B/C
    * Body Material:Aluminum Alloy
    * Series:97-3102A
    * Number of Contacts:10
    * Connector Shell Size:18
    * Connecting Termination:Solder
    * Circular Shell Style:Box Mount Receptacle

I'll get a couple on the way ASAP.

Paul
    --

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tenmetalman View Post
    Kreutz
    Is this the connector you need ? 97-3102A-18-19S — AMPHENOL — Circular
    Connector. 97-3102A-18-19S — AMPHENOL — Circular Connector
    97-3102A-18-19S — Circular Connector — 93F1226 Image is for illustrative
    purposes only.
    Please refer to product description AMPHENOL

Manufacturer: AMPHENOL

Newark Part Number: 93F1226

Manufacturer Part No: 97-3102A-18-19S

RoHS Compliance :
    Description

* Circular Connector
    * MIL SPEC:MIL-C-5015 A/B/C
    * Body Material:Aluminum Alloy
    * Series:97-3102A
    * Number of Contacts:10
    * Connector Shell Size:18
    * Connecting Termination:Solder
    * Circular Shell Style:Box Mount Receptacle

I'll get a couple on the way ASAP.

Paul
    --
    Paul;

I will check the dimensions tonight, as soon as I get Home.

Thanks,

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz View Post
    The PWM frequency for the UHU board is 23.5 KHz, some old servo drives used from 5 to 15 KHz, the older technology, or higher power, the lower the switching frequency they use. So I expect a little more magnetic losses than usual on those motors.

The filters I use are designed to control DV/dt on the motor. Depending on the turn-on time of the power Mosfets used in the H bridge, and the size of the motor; cable lengths as short as eight feet can result in motor peak voltages that exceed the rating of the motor's insulation system. However, the longer the cable the greater the problem. Dampening the rate of voltage increase will minimize the peak voltage that occurs at the motor terminals.

When using low power/voltage motors the dv/dt could be effectively controlled using lower switching times, like in the original UHU design. When handling high voltages and currents, it is better controlled with external Snubbers, since slowing down the switching times could destroy the switching semiconductors.
    Could you explain why lower frequency would heat motors more? I think it has no significant impact on that since di/dt stays nearly constant anyway. di/dt can be calculated from supply voltage and total series inductance.

Also the dv/dt during deadtime don't change as function of switching freq.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    Could you explain why lower frequency would heat motors more? I think it has no significant impact on that since di/dt stays nearly constant anyway. di/dt can be calculated from supply voltage and total series inductance.

Also the dv/dt during deadtime don't change as function of switching freq.
    I don't mean that lower frequency heat more the motors, what I meant is that servo motors made for lower switching frequencies (made during the 80's and early 90's) have more magnetic circuit losses at higher PWM frequency, when used with the UHU board.

dV/dt and dead-time are two separated concepts, if you design for lower switching losses on the output stage, dv/dt will increase. The only way to control dv/dt at the motor terminals is by using Snubbers (or output filters). Of course, when you make shorter mosfet switching times, dead-time will increase if you don't change anything else to adjust it. The rate of current decay during the dead-time depends on the Power supply voltage and motor inductance (fast decay) in this case (UHU board), due to the PWM signal being applied to the higher mosfet and opposite's H leg lower mosfets at the same time.

Also, low inductance motors will have higher losses, and in some cases will be unstable when employing blanking time on the current sense circuit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I've just received the Embeddedtronics PC board for the UHU controller and I'm waiting for the processor to arrive. Meanwhile, I'm collecting the bits and pieces needed to build it.

On the motor side I have a question about the encoder for the servo motor. I'm planning on connecting the UHU to a lathe Z axis driven by my Electronic Lead Screw. It's limited to a 20kHz stepping rate.

So here's the issue. With a 200 line encoder, the UHU controller appears to use that in quadrature so that's 800 ppr. The implication if I understand the configuration then is that 20000/800 = 25 rev/sec or only 1500 RPM. That's pretty slow for a servo but more than adequate for a stepper drive.

If the servo has a top speed of say 6000 RPM then I expect I'll want to either have a 50 line encoder or have the motor move 4 steps for every one step input. But I'm having trouble interpreting the parameter Step Multiplier (M) which appears to suggest that each step is really one encoder line or 4 quadrature steps.

A 200 line encoder in quadrature mode I think is the same as the document's 4-fold interpreted encoder line. So does a one step input create a 4 quadrature step (one encoder line) and if M is 2 then one step does 3 encoder lines or 12 quadrature lines?

If that's the case then I can still stay with my max 20Khz stepping rate but have the servo move 4 times as far with M=3 and use a 4:1 pulley to bring the lead screw RPM down to 1500 RPM max.

Thanks

John Dammeyer

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jcdammeyer View Post
    Hi,

I've just received the Embeddedtronics PC board for the UHU controller and I'm waiting for the processor to arrive. Meanwhile, I'm collecting the bits and pieces needed to build it.

On the motor side I have a question about the encoder for the servo motor. I'm planning on connecting the UHU to a lathe Z axis driven by my Electronic Lead Screw. It's limited to a 20kHz stepping rate.

So here's the issue. With a 200 line encoder, the UHU controller appears to use that in quadrature so that's 800 ppr. The implication if I understand the configuration then is that 20000/800 = 25 rev/sec or only 1500 RPM. That's pretty slow for a servo but more than adequate for a stepper drive.

If the servo has a top speed of say 6000 RPM then I expect I'll want to either have a 50 line encoder or have the motor move 4 steps for every one step input. But I'm having trouble interpreting the parameter Step Multiplier (M) which appears to suggest that each step is really one encoder line or 4 quadrature steps.

A 200 line encoder in quadrature mode I think is the same as the document's 4-fold interpreted encoder line. So does a one step input create a 4 quadrature step (one encoder line) and if M is 2 then one step does 3 encoder lines or 12 quadrature lines?

If that's the case then I can still stay with my max 20Khz stepping rate but have the servo move 4 times as far with M=3 and use a 4:1 pulley to bring the lead screw RPM down to 1500 RPM max.

Thanks

John Dammeyer
    The quadrature code produced by incremental encoders has 4 state changes (edges) per quadrature cycle (one per ¼ cycle). A 500 CPR encoder has 500 cycles, (2000 codes) per revolution. X1 decoding means that the external electronics counts only once per full cycle. X2 counts two states per cycle. X4 counts every quadrature state.

UHU's decoder is X4, and as you stated, will produce 800 counts per revolution with a 200 CPR encoder.

On the UHU's user's Manual it says:

"Step multiplier (M)
    The provided integer value is added supplementary with every step pulse. I.e. if 'M' is set to '2', the
    motor moves exactly three 4-fold interpreted encoder lines with every step pulse.
    This makes it possible to drive setups with high encoder resolutions to high speeds even if the
    commanding PC is limited in Terms of stepping rate. As it also reduces overhead operations, it is
    always desirable to increase this parameter if the resolution of the encoders is not needed.
    Attention: Setting 'M' to a high value leads to higher tracking errors with every step. The tracking error
    shutoff 'E' has to be increased accordingly.

Useful values are 0 to 20."

Yes. and as an added bonus, you will be using all the motor's available torque at the maximum lead speed (1500 rpm).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

could i buy completed units from you? as a neewbee are these unit like a gecko 201

oporter@earthlink.net

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BIGO View Post
    could i buy completed units from you? as a neewbee are these unit like a gecko 201

oporter@earthlink.net
    Hi,

At the moment I'm not considering assembling these boards. They're not really labour friendly in that it takes a while to assemble them.

Not having a Gecko to play with I don't know how much better it would be over a Gecko and they're on sale right now.

I did post a question asking whether tuning via software (UHU) or via trim pots (Gecko) is better. No one has answered that question.

I wouldn't buy another UHU-Servo Embeddedtronics board. Although it's a compact layout, the TO-220 mounting holes are way to small with undersized pads for the kind of current that this system could deliver. Blow a transistor and it's quite likely the board could be damaged replacing it.

I bought the larger IRFP260N devices and they won't even fit in the holes much less have the right spacing for the holes. I had IRF640s in stock so that's what I ended up using. That's fine for this motor and experiment because 18A is max stall current for the motor anyway so I just have to limit it to 15A or so to protect the transistors.

Each time I build up a through hole board I remember how much I dislike through hole boards. Surface mount is so much easier.

I've attached a photo of the completed board and motor. Now I need to build up a good solid 24V power supply and get the proper pulleys so I can hook it to my lathe and try it out with the Electronic Lead Screw.

John Dammeyer

Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I wouldn't buy another UHU-Servo Embeddedtronics board. Although it's a compact layout, the TO-220 mounting holes are way to small with undersized pads for the kind of current that this system could deliver. Blow a transistor and it's quite likely the board could be damaged replacing it.

I bought the larger IRFP260N devices and they won't even fit in the holes much less have the right spacing for the holes. I had IRF640s in stock so that's what I ended up using. That's fine for this motor and experiment because 18A is max stall current for the motor anyway so I just have to limit it to 15A or so to protect the transistors.

John Dammeyer

Hi John,

We only designed the board layout for TO-220 sized FET's. The size of the pads and traces should be more than adequate for 20amps. IRFP260N are much bigger devices.

I put a new disclaimer on our website that reads...

"*UHU board has only been tested with IRF540N FET's at 60volt/20amps. Using any other type of fet driver and/or higher voltage or current is the sole responsibility of the end user. Using high voltage and currents is dangerous. Building and using the UHU servo board is at your own risk. Embeddedtronics cannot be held liable or responsible or will accept any type of liability in any event, in case of injury or even death by building and/or using or misuse of this device or any other high-voltage device posted on this web site. By accessing, reading, and/or printing the articles presented here you agree to be solely responsible as stated in the above disclaimer and exempt Embeddedtronics from any criminal and/or liability suit. Safety is a primary concern when working with high voltage circuits."

We care for your safety so officially we will just limit our version of the UHU board to 60volt 20amps. However we cannot control what type of fet, voltage and current that people use once they buy our board. Please be safe when using high voltages!

I'm pretty sure IRF540N is the same fet that gecko uses. They conservatively rate their drive at 80volts 20amps. I don't have a power supply bigger than 60volts so that is the rating I will use for our version of the UHU board.

regards,

Jim
    Embeddedtronics.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    Hi John,

We only designed the board layout for TO-220 sized FET's. The size of the pads and traces should be more than adequate for 20amps. IRFP260N are much bigger devices.

regards,

Jim
    Embeddedtronics.com
    hi Jim,

If you do a Rev. D layout here are a few of suggestions.

1. Make the board a bit larger so that the mounting holes don't need insulating washers to avoid shorting the traces nearby. Make the holes work for 4-40 screws and nuts with room around the nut. Also allows the board to be held in an assembly frame so the foam panel can hold the parts down while soldering. See point 4.

2. Separate the 12VDC power in connector a bit more from the Data and Encoder input connector. I had to bend the pins on the connector to make it fit.

3. Spread the TO-220 package pins further apart so that wider anular rings can be used with larger holes. Both of those will contribute to serviceability when a FET is toasted and the magic smoke comes out. In fact, design it for the IRF260 foot print. Large holes, large pads.

4. I prefer to lay resistors down rather than the vertical method used here. But I think that's a personal preference and your method certainly makes the board smaller.

5. Set up the board to also have the ability to use an encoder with differential pair drivers for noise imunity.

Other than that. Nicely done!!!! Appears to work quite well.

John Dammeyer

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

I'm glad the servo board works for you. Thanks, for the comments. We will look into making the changes in our next rev of the board. We haven't sold that many so it may be awhile before we need to order more boards.

We welcome any comments on our version of the UHU servo board, both negative and positive. It will only help us design a better one the next time. It's hard to get things right the first time or even the 3rd rev. The first 2 had silly errors in the layout that we totally missed.

regards,

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

We welcome any comments on our version of the UHU servo board, both negative and positive. It will only help us design a better one the next time. It's hard to get things right the first time or even the 3rd rev. The first 2 had silly errors in the layout that we totally missed.

regards,

Jim
    Hi Jim,

Been there done that. I'm fixing all the bugs on the second rev of the ELS board this weekend. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/E-LeadScrew/

There's been a few silly mistakes. And now changes to accomodate a larger range of buttons, digital pot for setting stepper motor current. It's really easy to get carried away with 'features'.

BTW, I was very happy to see that the pinout of the 3 pin RS232 connector on your UHU-Servo board matched the RS232 pinout on the pins of my ELS design. Saves keeping yet another DB-9 to 3 pin adaptor.

John Dammeyer

Downloads
    Uploads

hi Jim,

Other than that. Nicely done!!!! Appears to work quite well.

John Dammeyer

Hi John,

We really can't take any credit on this. All the hard work is done by Uli and his servo chip. Many thanks to him for providing a servo chip/design for everyone here at cnczone.

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I've got the UHU-Servo running and connected to my Electronic Lead screw. Very smooth and appears to be functional except for one detail.

With the motor powered up on the bench, when I grab the pulley and twist it's really cool that it snaps back to the position it was at. Does that well in both directions.

But if I gently twist in in one direction (doesn't do this in the other), the processor resets and the motor of course, being unpowered for a moment moves as if it were a stepper motor skipping a step.

Twisting the motor off it's rest position creates electrical noise on both the 5V and 12V lines. The real question is why does it do this in only one direction? The rest chip DS1233 never trips. ie. I never see it go low for the spec'd 300ms.

The noise on the 5V line is pretty bad but in the 40nS range. I haven't been able to capture any sort of pulse on the scope when the serial port shows the rest message. At times this reset action has modified the EEROM parameters or displays the parameters.

So I have a problem. Just not sure where it might be.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

John Dammeyer

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I've got the UHU-Servo running and connected to my Electronic Lead screw. Very smooth and appears to be functional except for one detail.

With the motor powered up on the bench, when I grab the pulley and twist it's really cool that it snaps back to the position it was at. Does that well in both directions.

But if I gently twist in in one direction (doesn't do this in the other), the processor resets and the motor of course, being unpowered for a moment moves as if it were a stepper motor skipping a step.

Twisting the motor off it's rest position creates electrical noise on both the 5V and 12V lines. The real question is why does it do this in only one direction? The rest chip DS1233 never trips. ie. I never see it go low for the spec'd 300ms.

The noise on the 5V line is pretty bad but in the 40nS range. I haven't been able to capture any sort of pulse on the scope when the serial port shows the rest message. At times this reset action has modified the EEROM parameters or displays the parameters.

So I have a problem. Just not sure where it might be.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

John Dammeyer

Hi John,

I haven't seen this issue with the UHU boards I have here. The only time the UHU board error LED comes on is when I twist the servo motor shaft more than what the tracking error maximum value is set.

The DS reset chip should only hold the reset line low upon initial power up of the board. ie when the 12volt supply is turned on.

I use a separate 12 volt power supply to power the low voltage section of the board. Any noise from the servo motor supply shouldn't reset the uhu controller.

I have never seen a reset modify any saved eeprom values.

Jim.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

I haven't seen this issue with the UHU boards I have here. The only time the UHU board error LED comes on is when I twist the servo motor shaft more than what the tracking error maximum value is set.

The DS reset chip should only hold the reset line low upon initial power up of the board. ie when the 12volt supply is turned on.

I use a separate 12 volt power supply to power the low voltage section of the board. Any noise from the servo motor supply shouldn't reset the uhu controller.

I have never seen a reset modify any saved eeprom values.

Jim.
    Hi Jim,

I'm supplying the 12V with an LM7812 regulator. It's stable except for the noise on it measured right at the pins of the LM7805 regulator. I have two 1000uF 100V caps on the 42V power supply but I have nothing connected to the external capacitor connector on the UHU board.

I have a single 0.1 Ohm resistor and the trim pot set to 0.2V. If I set it any higher (the motor is rated at 2.7A) the problem gets worse.

Essentially, I can make the board reset every time with a load on the motor turning in one direction but not with the motor turning in the other direction.

This is a surplus motor. Perhaps that's the issue. After I return from holidays perhaps I'll order a new DC servo and see if that makes a difference although I don't know why it would.

John Dammeyer

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

I think I may have found the problem. I sent you email to your yahoo address.

Jim

Page 62 of 109 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572 ... LastLast