DIY Servo controller - Page 3

Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Servo controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Bill,

There was a batch of pcbmade in Germany. I believe it to be around 400 pieces but it was a closed deal. This means that you had to order and pay in advance and that the number of pcb's equals the ordered number so there are probably none left.
    However. If you're an electronics vet you should have no problems getting yourself a pcb. A highres layout (pdf print at 100%) is available so making a film (or toner transfer as I do) pcb is a breeze. The available PCB layout is exactly what was ordered bet the pro boards also had a silk screen, which again is easy to duplicaty using toner transfer and the parts layout pdf.

Best regards,

Erik Jan

What goes down, should come up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Erik;
    I'll look into purchasing a PCB mfg. kit and give it a shot. Your right, can't be very hard with the layout already done!
    Unfortunately, it may be a moot point. I can't get a response from Uli at the URL provided. I requested that he provide me with 5 chips and let me know how to pay and I'd remit funds (name the price). I left both my work and home e-mail and can't get him to respond. The demand for these chips is most likely increasing to the point that he is overwhelmed.
    Wonder if we could batch order a bunch and set up a payment method just to get them on hand??? I would gladly commit to 10 or 20 if they are not too expensive and farm them out. Any ideas. Hate to miss the bus because we can't get the material to do the job.
    Thanks agiain.
    billyjack

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south
    Thanks Erik;
    I'll look into purchasing a PCB mfg. kit and give it a shot. Your right, can't be very hard with the layout already done!
    Unfortunately, it may be a moot point. I can't get a response from Uli at the URL provided. I requested that he provide me with 5 chips and let me know how to pay and I'd remit funds (name the price). I left both my work and home e-mail and can't get him to respond. The demand for these chips is most likely increasing to the point that he is overwhelmed.
    Wonder if we could batch order a bunch and set up a payment method just to get them on hand??? I would gladly commit to 10 or 20 if they are not too expensive and farm them out. Any ideas. Hate to miss the bus because we can't get the material to do the job.
    Thanks agiain.
    billyjack

Keep trying Uli - he has replied to me a couple of times about somthing and the email never got through to me. I don't know why that it is - perhaps his mail server is a bit flaky or something. I just kept sending him an email every couple of days till I got a relply.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been following this thread with great interest. This last point highlights a concern I'd have .....while I in no way whatsoever begrudge the creator charging a little or even a lot of beer money - its awesome what they've done, I wonder about sustainability. It's a lot of building to undergo and be dependent upon the goodwill or even availability of one person and their hobby.

What options would you have if he was off the air and you either fried your last chip or wanted to start a new build?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver
    I have been following this thread with great interest. This last point highlights a concern I'd have .....while I in no way whatsoever begrudge the creator charging a little or even a lot of beer money - its awesome what they've done, I wonder about sustainability. It's a lot of building to undergo and be dependent upon the goodwill or even availability of one person and their hobby.

What options would you have if he was off the air and you either fried your last chip or wanted to start a new build?
    The same options you would have if you selected Gecko drives and they went out of business - you would do something different. This method is just a whole lot more fun! Ofcourse ask me that again in a month or so when I try to tune the servos :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Chris,

I'll try to contact Uli for you. I know he's very busy (works too) and somtimes does not have the time to respond to emails. Supply of the Tinys is low (very low to be exact).
    He left a message that all processors that were ordered until 2-12-05 were sent out so maybe yours are in transit right now. He has ordered new ones but did not get a delivery time.

I can send you an older processor at no cost (2.02t @ 10mhz) I'll have to look which is the latest version of the PCB you can use that with. If you get the most recent processors it's simply a matter of connecting to pairs of opposing pins on the tiny to run the lastest version. This version is outdated but fully functional. It doesn't run in interrupt mode and at 10 Mhz in stead of 24 mhz. Except for speed I don't know what the disadvantages are.

Erik Jan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ejkoeze
    Hey Chris,

I'll try to contact Uli for you. I know he's very busy (works too) and somtimes does not have the time to respond to emails. Supply of the Tinys is low (very low to be exact).
    He left a message that all processors that were ordered until 2-12-05 were sent out so maybe yours are in transit right now. He has ordered new ones but did not get a delivery time.

I can send you an older processor at no cost (2.02t @ 10mhz) I'll have to look which is the latest version of the PCB you can use that with. If you get the most recent processors it's simply a matter of connecting to pairs of opposing pins on the tiny to run the lastest version. This version is outdated but fully functional. It doesn't run in interrupt mode and at 10 Mhz in stead of 24 mhz. Except for speed I don't know what the disadvantages are.

Erik Jan

Hi Erik,

I think you meant Bill, I already got my chips and Uli got his hot sauce. His last email mentioned he had never seen the one I sent him and that he liked it - what a hoot! Gotta love this sort of business exchange.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And that's a big ooops.

Thats what you get when you read too fast.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Bill,

I just got word from Uli. He has replied to you regarding the UHU controllers. Shipping is no problem for him. Shipping is just 2 euro so it probably doesn't get any cheaper. I you send chips in bulk for further distribution in the America's you get to deal with customs etc. so that doesn't make it any easier.

Erik Jan

Downloads
    Uploads

- if there is a demand ( say minimum 50 pieces) a pc board house would be the way to go.
    with clean traces drilled holes and solder mask, a 4" x 6" board shouldn't cost more that $6-10 us
    - also bulk purchace of key components would reduce cost and streamline the building process.
    if someone has a gerber and excellon drill file of this board i will get a few quotes.
    this looks like a very nice layout, i have been laying out pcb's for 35 years and i don't think this is uli's first project, whoever he is ..... nice job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default UHU: May I introduce myself....?

Hi all,

as the discussion about the UHU Controller seams to grow, I feel the need to make myself more visible here. I didn't do it yet, cause I have a demanding job to live from and had to put in a lot of time to ship over 600 controllers in Germany last weeks.
    Let me try to give some answers to questions I got and read here.
    • Background
      The UHU Servo Controller is a split project in the German forum 'Peters CNC Ecke'. It is for DC servos only.
      One part is the controller itself. I've put in hundreds of hours self studies, development and optimization. Hence I decided not to make the code public. But it's intention is to make it available for everybody on a small budget.
      The second part is the PCB. This part was done by Stefan and he decided to make the schematics and artwork public. But his industrial standard PCBs are available for little money and after making one of those, you'll love PCBs with solder-stop and printed top side. You can mail him stefan8051***nospam***@gmx.de
    • Availability
      I ship the controller all over the world. Its cheap and does not make problem with customs. The how-to is attached in the 'instruction leflet'. If you want to, we can bundle Controller, PCB and Crystal if needed. A full kit is not available and there are no plans in the moment to make such an offer. Thats too much time consuming for doing it just for fun.
    • Continuity
      Of course there is always a risk here. But I have two fellow forum users here in Germany who are in possess of the code and who are able to produce controllers. I see no reason why supply would stop for any reason.
    • Support
      This might be a problem. I am unable to give personal support to such a lot of users. Normally a proper soldered board does not cause any trouble. But if it does, there is no guarantee that I can solve it over the long distance.
      Up to now the only severe problems we saw were frowzy cablings to the encoders or other electromagnetic disturbances. But these are common to all DIY approaches. And they are normally best solved if posted in the community.
    • Technical Data
      Attached you can find a datasheet.

Best regards
    Uli

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ulihuber; 12-11-2005 at 09:09 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

^^ Sweet, Got Uli on board!
    600 chips

Very glad you showed up.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, sorry for the very basic question but can you tell me if this controler is suitable for an AC brushless sinusoidal motor?

Thanks,
    Spence

Downloads
    Uploads

Spence,

I am sorry, but it's for DC-servos only.

Making an AC controller is on my list, but will not be available in less than a years time frame.

Uli

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Uli,

Forgive my ignorance, as I am rather new to servo drive electronics! I'm familiar with the electronics behind driving stepper motors, and how the quadrature encoders work, but I'm a bit hazy on PID control and higher derivative control.

I;ve read through most of the documentation on this thread, and from what I can tell, this controller looks like it might be perfect for my application! I have 4 servo motors rated at 60volts and a continous current of 2amps (13 amps short term peak). The motors have a quadrature encoder mounted to them that has a 500 count per revolution disc inside. From what I can tell, this controller should work fine, but I was hoping that you might be able to clarify that?

I'm in the process of designing a small Mill, which I would like to use the servo motors I have to drive 4 axis (x,y,z and 1 rotary axis). I am hoping to base the design around the motors, depending on the speed/torque they develop. As I have the motors, the next bit I need is the drive electronics!

Anyway, If your controller does look like it will be suitable for these motors, then I would like to order a few of the controller chips. Is there any problems in sending them to the UK? I'll send you an email to discuss prices/shipping etc when I can determine whether this controller is the rigth one for me!

Cheers
    Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Andy,

it looks like your motors fit perfectly to my UHU controller. Just ensure that the encoders provide TTL (5V) level. Some elder encoders have 10V and this would bring up the need for level shifters (maybe only resitor dividers).

Shipping to UK should not be a problem.

Regards
    Uli

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Hey Uli!
    Great to have you aboard. I just requested controllers from ya and I do appreciate the mail update. However, I didn't know you had pc boards available. This would save from me having to make them myself (don't know how yet!). If possible, please add 5 boards with my order. Please mail me back channel the additional price. Thanks again Uli and Erik.
    Best Regards
    billyjack

Erik;
    Thanks for the offer. Most generous. As you can see above, I've made contact with Uli. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress, but it will be slow. Working on a cnc mill progect with a lathemaster and the machining for this novice is very slow. Gonna be fun!!!

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

if anyone wants to go in with me and get some of these pcb's made, get some chips from uli and split on the cost of a bulk parts purchace ....
    pm me

Downloads
    Uploads

Uli,

Can you post some links to pics or other peoples sites that are using your controller, if you have them. I just wana see more of this controller in action.

Thanks

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Uli,

Thanks for stopping in here! Good to see you here. I am still working with someone on getting together a part list for the servo controller (U.S. based parts listing). I hope to get that done this week but I am at the mercy of the fellow helping.

I already etched the board so once I get the chips, I should be ready for some testing!

Chris

Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast