Build Thread C-Beam Sphinx Desktop CNC Router

Thread: C-Beam Sphinx Desktop CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default C-Beam Sphinx Desktop CNC Router

After building my first cnc router as can be seen "here" I wanted to change a few things to better suit my needs. So instead of just throwing fix after fix at the original I decided to start all over and design my own cnc from scratch. And I have done just that!

This is the C-beam Sphinx a strong desktop cnc router that will enable you to cut aluminum plates among other things without taking up to much room. Simple, strong and opensource !

C-beam Sphinx? The bulk of this machine and every axis is built upon the strong openbuilds C-beam linear rail and much as the Sphinx of myth inherits attributes from many to create one. So do I build from ideas shared with the community.
    From Mark Carew with his Ox and Plate Maker, Robert Hummel and his Stinger-V to sm3d and their R7. Each has inspired me to design build and explore this world of cnc that has lead to the design you are now reviewing.

Goals with this build:
    - Many openbuilds parts
    - Ease of construction
    - Full documentation
    - Flexible growth
    - Strong

I would like to think I have reached those goals!

The C-beam Sphinx was designed in Sketchup and you will find a full cad model in the attached zip for this build. Along with Sketchup, I have used Fusion 360 to design the new plates of course the .f3d files are also included.
    I encourage you to build modify and share your C-beam Sphinx build. Everything you need to get started is within the included zip files.

As always I am providing all the cad and design files free of charge: If you find them useful in your build or design and want to give back to all the time, effort and materials I put into the design. Feel free to buy me a coffee via paypal. ( rb26dett240sx@yahoo.com )
    This is of course completely optional and you are free to have the files posted here either way If you did not find them helpful let me know so I can improve !

Along with all cad files you will also find a Cut List , B.O.M , Build Photos and a detailed Build Manual ! While I am no film student I did record and edit a complete Assembly Video to help you along with your own build.

Thank you for reading I look forward to any and all feedback and to following any builds you may take up from my design!

Looks like my Zip file is to large to attach to the forums. So I will go ahead and host it myself. Here is the DOWNLOAD LINK.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Kyo Shinohara; 08-29-2016 at 12:01 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: C-Beam Sphinx Desktop CNC Router

I cannot seem to get to your zip file with the link? Am I doing something wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry about that, I forgot to update the provided link. I have hosted the zip on thingiverse for easy download. Here is the correct link.
    Sphinx CNC Files

My build log is Here

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo Shinohara View Post
    Sorry about that, I forgot to update the provided link. I have hosted the zip on thingiverse for easy download. Here is the correct link.
    Sphinx CNC Files

My build log is Here

Thank you very much! This is my very first attempt at a CNC build so I know nothing and am learning even though I am a fast learner. A quick question if you care to answer. If I wanted to scale this up to have a minimum cutting area of 20"x30" (Preferably slightly larger), Is it straight forward on the lengths I would need to change to do this? Why I want to do this is because I want to be able to get Dollar Tree Foam Board (DTFB) under it to cut RC Planes out.

Thanks again for the new link!

Downloads
    Uploads

No problem.. You came to the correct place ! I am always learning something new here on the Zone... So many knowledgeable folks...

Yes that is correct to enlarge the machine it is straight forward as increasing the extrusion and lead-screw lengths to reach your desired build volume. There are a couple larger builds currently taking place..

What a perfect use for a cnc machine. Have you seen the Brushless RC Motor Foam Cutter? it mounts to the cnc Z-axis and replaces the Router / Spindle. It was designed to cut DTFB.. Here is the topic link Here.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the confirmation and the link is really great on the needle cutter. I will have to build me one of those when I get my cnc done

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cannot find the GT3 40T Pulley on open builds Is there a substitute?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I just posted a list concerning this the other day let me post it below as well.

"
    Belt reduction plate is 6mm thick and has a center to center spacing of 77mm ( with nema23 centered in slotted mounts ) with a 40t and 20t pulley you would need a 245mm GT3 loop belt or 214mm GT2 (according to the closed belt calculator please feel free to double check the math). The nearest match I could find is a 246mm GT3 6mm wide and 216mm GT2 6mm wide loop belt.. This should be fine as the center to center spacing allows the motor to be pulled or pushed in the mount off of center to tighten and take up slack on the belt..
    "

GT2
    40T 8mm ID Pulley: Link
    20T 0.25" ID Pulley: Link
    GT2 6mm Loop Belt: Link

GT3
    GT3 6mm Loop Belt: Link

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo Shinohara View Post
    Yeah I just posted a list concerning this the other day let me post it below as well.

"
    Belt reduction plate is 6mm thick and has a center to center spacing of 77mm ( with nema23 centered in slotted mounts ) with a 40t and 20t pulley you would need a 245mm GT3 loop belt or 214mm GT2 (according to the closed belt calculator please feel free to double check the math). The nearest match I could find is a 246mm GT3 6mm wide and 216mm GT2 6mm wide loop belt.. This should be fine as the center to center spacing allows the motor to be pulled or pushed in the mount off of center to tighten and take up slack on the belt..
    "

GT2
    GT2 6mm Loop Belt: Link

GT3
    GT3 6mm Loop Belt: Link

Than you very much for the detailed reply. I have most of my materials ordered and m cnc controller is on it's way. I have a question if you would care to reply. What is the software you use for your system?

Thank you in advance! You have done an Outstanding job with your build documentation and video. It REALLY helps a noob like me who is feeling his way trough this fist time build and use of CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The link for the GT2 belt says there is a $35 minimum order. I found this and was wanting to get your opinion if you think it will be ok to use.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C-Beam Sphinx Desktop CNC Router-belt-png   C-Beam Sphinx Desktop CNC Router-belt2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In the process of starting my build but I just realized I don't have the left a right y-Axis plates and front bearing plates. Did you make them? I cannot find them on Open builds site.

Thanks,
    Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

The front and rear X-axis plates, Left and Right Y-axis side plates, front and rear y-axis bearing plates are all custom designed and not directly available off the shelf at Openbuilds. Well the front and rear X-axis plates could be replaced with the OB's XL gantry plates. I had the set I used machined for me by Chris laidlaw. He has plate set's on ebay for my design just search for "sphinx cnc" while I don't make anything from his sales I can vouch for his work quality..

Downloads
    Uploads

! Complete Plate Set !

I get asked this often, what plate set to buy when building a Sphinx cnc? I see a number of sets have popped up for sale online (even on aliexpress) I do not know the quality or fitment of each set being offered online please research who is offering them ! The Plate set I recommend is from Chris ( blue-ox ) and is the same set as used on the original build.

Link to recommended plate set "Here"