Belts-Belts-Belts

Thread: Belts-Belts-Belts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Belts-Belts-Belts

I have an Ox style router controlled by G540 and Mach3...Am I spinning my wheels trying to get accuracy and repeatability out of a belt driven machine?

Here is what has been going on...After the inital G540 setup, and putting in the mathematical steps/unit, I used my trusty 18 inch stainless rule and used Mach axis calibration...
    ended up with 850.9~ on the X and 849.6~ on the Y...a few weeks and crashes later, I am cutting something small (.250 width) and notice that it is a different size...normally I cut larger signs and have not had any issues, anyhow, I decided to cut a one inch square, what I actually got was .989X and .983Y...so I tweaked the steps/unit and repeated until I got the one inch square to be .999X and 1.002Y...pretty good I thought...the steps/unit are (were) 865.6~X and 877.9~Y...seems like a big change but whatever...that was yesterday, came to the shop today and cut a .5 slot 5" long...the slot ended up being 5.2165!! Also, I notice that the limits lets me crash the machine, check and my 22.5 machine width was only going to 21 something! Hmmmm...I know that a one inch calibration can leave a lot of error on the table, so I got my rule out...16" move on the X was 17.375 and 16 on the Y was similar...hmmm...recalibrated using Mach3...now I have 846.6~ on the X and 847.9~ on the Y, i can repeat the move and get (as best my eyes can judge) right on the money...went back and cut the 5 inch slot, now it measures 4.991...maybe the best I can get?!?

Just wondering if this is the best I can get until I switch to ballscrews!

Thanks
    Leslie

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Belts-Belts-Belts

I would think that those small belts would flex more than .009" And add to that the flex in the frame.
    How are you cutting the slot? Cut direction can affect the size, as the tool is pushed away from or pulled into the work piece.
    If the slot is a back and forth cut, then the CV settings in Mach3 can affect the location that it changes direction.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Gerry...I am reading David Bloomfield's writeup on CV...still lots to learn...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can dial my OX in with dual belts to 0.01mm quite easily. I recommend you add a 2nd belt like Martin did, and decide if you're going off jog size, or cut size (cut a 50x50 square and measure it after its cut out)
    Remember to also set $1=255 so there is no backlash after the motor shuts off.