Build Thread My C-Beam Machine CNC

Thread: My C-Beam Machine CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool My C-Beam Machine CNC

Hello all, I have been browsing off and on here at the zone for a few years. Well not to long ago I bit the bullet and ordered the "kit" I was going to build. I went with the Openbuilds C-beam Machine CNC router kit for a few reasons. Price / Size (small craftroom) / V-slot.. I also build design and use 3d printers and all of them use openbuilds V-slot linear rail in one way or another. As such going with a a V-slot based cnc my overall risk of complete failure was lower as I could always reuse parts for my printers.

I am the first to say I am a complete newbie and have been making plenty of mistakes. However I could not be happier that I took that initial plunge into the wonderful world of cnc. Well enough rambling and onto photos.....

When I first started to recive parts from my orders. Along with the C-beam machine. I chose to go with the Dewalt dwp611 router. Precise Bit 1/8 and 1/4 collet's and nut and the cnc xPRO V2 usb Controller.

This has been a very exciting experience for me. As my first cnc router it has been a pleasure to put together. Openbuilds and the parts store team held back no effort in packaging and shipping everything out. With each axis broken down and individually bagged and labeled. Combined with Mark's build videos on youtube ( check his channel "openbuilds" ) the whole process was nice and smooth.

I had no problem with the lead screw to bearing fitment. I did not even need to sand down the screw!

The Z- axis gantry plate seemed to move up and down a little rough when moved by hand during the preloading wheels stage. Otherwise everything seems smooth when turning by the leadscrew. ( hoping I did not get to much preloading, I tried to match the Vid. )
    It is going together really well! I changed a few things today. Mainly I lowered the X-axis gantry plate to be level with the Z-axis cbeam plate vs level with the cbeam itself. This should net me a 1/2" more clearance.

Finally Taking shape!!

Sadly I do have a few complaints. Those cast corners and their nubs. If I had a disc sander I would have removed them but I don't.. Honestly I would be okay if the bundle was a little more up front but came with the machined black 90 corner connectors all around.. 2nd is minor my x-axis was a few mm short ( around 4-5 or so) so when flush to one side you could not align / install the top plate and t-nuts on the other side. I centered the x-axis so the black end plates are overlapping the towers towards the center a couple mm each side. This allowed me to "just" squeeze in the t-nuts under the plate when installed, with the top plates resting a bit on the black end plates of the x-axis..

NOTE: I did end of taking apart the machine and filing the nubs off each cast 90 corner bracket by hand and replaced all the OB M5 bolts with New hardware..

Printed the required shim in order to mount my Dewalt 611. Thanks to JimmyBuckets..
    Assembly is complete! This has been a really easy fun build between Marks videos and how well the store crew packages and labels everything. Everything has gone very smooth..

The shim will sit flush on the mount. It seems the 90 brackets interfere with the shim top ring just enough on my print to prevent this. Does not seem to bother anything..

First Movement. Fail on my part the pencil was to soft and the graphite eroded away before finishing the drawing of the openbuilds logo. However the g-code seemed to complete without issue! I am running a very old dell tower running W7 and GRBL Panel V1.0.9.0a with a X-pro v2 controller.

New Pen mount is working great. A sharpie barley fits but works well. I added the stl file to the resources tab on openbuilds if any one else wants to do some pen plotting with there C-beam machine.

Had a little bit of fun doing my first real bit of cutting on the cnc I built from Openbuilds C-beam extrusion this evening. The idea in my head started out as a coffee mug coaster and ended up as a tea kettle trivet. (hmm pattern for cast aluminium piece? ) This is so much fun! No clue what I am really doing yet but having a blast doing it!!

1/2" MDF
    Dewalt DWP611
    16,000 rpm ( lowest setting on 611 )
    1/8 Carbide Flat Nose Endmill
    50ipm cutting speed
    0.028" depth of cut per pass

Yay! After 6-8 failed attempts I got the settings in a sweet spot. Here is my very first successful cnc aluminium part.
    What I ended up doing, was adjusting / tuning the drivers along with using a vacuum to help clear the chips.

First recorded Fail@!
    Part A

Part B

And here is my WIN for the day I am as happy as a kid in a candy store......

I have definitely caught the cnc bug I now want to make a little desktop laser engraver.... So taking inspiration from Robert Hummel's Stinger-V build on openbuilds ( I think he is on here as "rmhcnc" ) I have been drawing up a desktop cnc to mount a J tech 3.8w Laser to
    He only posted photos in his build thread no files, So I had to do a bit work to come up with my cad file.

I have had my eye on building this cool little cnc since he first started to share images on Instagram some 2 years ago, So I dug into my computer chair the other day and got to work, If nothing else I thought it would make for a fun exercise to reverse engineer it from photos and the few known measurements I have ( nema 17 mounting )..

Almost there.. Only a few parts left to model up.

It was a bit harder then I first thought it would be! But it has been a very fun side project.. Pretty much all done. ( not doing all the electronics and bolts ).. I will be going over it the next few days to double check all my measurements / dimension would actually work in real life.

Well I think that catches me up to where I am in this crazy cool world we call cnc. I look forward to learning a ton more and sharing my projects / progress I do apologize for such a long post and thank you for sticking with it! It has been all the great post here and on other forums that has given me the encouragement to dive in and start these projects...