Newbie make your own breakout and driver board?

Thread: make your own breakout and driver board?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question make your own breakout and driver board?

Hi,

I would like to make my own breakout board and driver boards and I was wondering if anyone could walk me threw the process.
    I would like to use a DB25 plug like the one shown here make your own breakout board
    it would be very cool if I could learn how to make a driver board that works with Mach3.
    Obviously I am no electrician, I also undertsand there is lots to learn when it comes to this. So I appreciate your time and help.

Very best wishes,

Rob from what is a cnc

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rob

If you do not have any experience in electronics better buy ready-made breakout board with optoisolation - that thing separates driver boards (high voltage and current) and expensive "guts" of your computer
    You did not wrote how much do you know about electronics, if the answer is "nothing" - buy a book ("The Art of Electronics" for example).

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Thanks GRG2

I do know some electronics, for example the components. I am also confortable with the math that goes with it but I have never drawn up my own schematic.

I have chosen to go with a DB25 interface because I have a number of old towers just hanging around the house that I can use or screw up :P but I see your concern.

To be honest I am one of those people that learns from just getting chucked into the thick of things, I enjoy the learning curve because it is very rewarding when a breakthrew is made and I have managed to re-create the wheel.

Anyway if you have any tips or schematics for building your own control from scratch it would be greatly appreciated. I will gladly look on Mouser for the parts and I have a very nice large Breadboard to start the project with.

I do know that the Rep-Rap Wiki has open source control boards but I was hoping for something targeted to someone just experimenting with computer motion control and electronics. Another one that is good if your interested in USB motion control vs a DB25, and you know basic programming is the Phidgets 1062 or interface boards.

Also isn't a control board constructed using MOSFET's?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rob

A stock of old coputers with parallel port (DB25) is a nice thing. Until there's a cheap standard CNC controller that uses USB interface old coputers are the easiest way to CNC
    I'm using EMC2 (does the same thing as MACH3 - only it's free, runs on linux and is a little harder to use), self-made breakuot board and drivers. Drivers use L297 - L298 chips and according to L298 datacheet should work up to 2 Amps per phase but my (miniature) machine needs only 0.5A. Schematic and layout were drawn using EAGLE PCB - you can find them here: http://members.chello.at/~grzegorz12/
    L297/L298 controllers are somewhat obsolete - you may find TOSHIBAs stepper controller chips ( Stepper Drivers ) easier to use (at least they need less external components).
    If you ready to risk one of your towers - you can build much simplier breakout board without optoisolation.
    And as for your last question - control board may use MOSFET transistors. High power driver problably does - L298 chip in my (low power) driver uses bipolar transistors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!! I will let you know about my progress!

Cheers,

Rob from what is a cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: make your own breakout and driver board?

Hello grg12
    I want to make a CNC router and I plan to use your circuits.
    Please can you tell me the following things
    (1)What will be the pin configuration to be set in mach3(pins and ports)
    (2)What value of stepper motors to be used
    (3)Any other info required for this

Last edited by zuhair; 11-22-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by crob09 View Post
    Hi,

I would like to make my own breakout board and driver boards and I was wondering if anyone could walk me threw the process.
    I would like to use a DB25 plug like the one shown here make your own breakout board
    it would be very cool if I could learn how to make a driver board that works with Mach3.
    Obviously I am no electrician, I also undertsand there is lots to learn when it comes to this. So I appreciate your time and help.

Very best wishes,

Rob from what is a cnc
    A breakout board is fairly simple, but without any motion control what kind of motion are you expecting out of it? Or will you be using and external motion control board?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: make your own breakout and driver board?

Quote Originally Posted by crob09 View Post
    Hi,

Very best wishes,

Rob from what is a cnc
    I built this break-out board several years ago based on Lawrence Glaister's work;DIY Parallel Port Breakout Board
    It works great. I currently use it for my Sherline Lathe and milled all the parts for the GizmoQube cnc controller.
    Look for Iron Man Servos Red Candy Running and Denford NovaTurn work.
    Hope this helps,

Iron-Man