New Machine Build FLA-100 80/20 build (my first cnc) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FLA-100 80/20 build (my first cnc)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

JD68, the table top is 36"x48". The legs are 36" tall. I literally used some scrap lying around in my shop to throw the table together just to have somewhere to build this thing. My intention has been to build something better or even build an 80/20 base for it later. But, I'm finding that the table is quite sturdy and I might just keep it. A couple of aesthetic touches that I may add later would be to add a poplar trim along the sides and possibly a new hard board top (think peg board, without the holes). Thanks for your comments.

I haven't made any progress since my last post. I still haven't received the replacement parts from FLA. I got an email on the 5th stating that FLA had shipped a package via USPS priority mail. It should have taken 2-3 days from then, but still nothing. I sent Nate an email tonight and forwarded the tracking info to him. I hope it shows up soon. I know he will work it all out sooner or later, I'm just like anyone else with a new toy (impatient and ready to play with it). As soon as the parts come, I'll get back to work and post pics of my progress.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Getting frustrated!

So it's been since June 30th, and still no replacement parts from FLA. I continue to send emails, but with no response (I know this is typical). I'm getting tired of the wait and am about to just order the parts from CNC router parts. Just to make myself feel like I was getting something done, I started putting together the z-axis carriage (without the bearings). I've also ordered the router mount from K2CNC. That should be here later this week. Here are some pics of the incomplete router plate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA-100 80/20 build (my first cnc)-photo-1-2-jpg   FLA-100 80/20 build (my first cnc)-photo-2-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I felt like doing a quick mach up of what I have so far, just to give me an idea of how things are going to look. I'm still trying to decide how to do the table top. At this point, I'm leaning towards a layer of MDF then a second layer of MDF with Kreg mini track every 6" on center. Does anyone have some good pics of their table surfaces that they could post? I really need some ideas for the best layout of t track. What do you guys think? Every 3,4,5 or 6"? Or should I do aluminum extrusions?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA-100 80/20 build (my first cnc)-photo-12-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got an FLA-300. I'm using 2 layers of 3/4 MDF with minitrack in between. I got the track from Orange Aluminum; much cheaper than Kreg. Mine is 8" OC, but I have a 4 x 4 bed. I have carriage bolts in the slots, with the top strips countersunk for washers and nuts. Since the bed is actually more like 54" deep, I have a 6" x 54" top rail, running the T track down to the Y0 edge of the spoilboard. I have my Y racks pulled down so the spindle can cut 1.5" off the edge of the spoil board. This lets me clamp a board on edge against the front extrusion and cut dovetails or box joints on them

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just looked at orange aluminum. Wow! What a find! Thank you for that tip.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any update on the build? i just ordered the 8020 aluminum to start my build earlier this week from ebay. You can count on me bugging you about it. Did you buy the steel plate from FLA as well or did you buy just plain flat plate steel and drill the holes yourself?

Good luck!

Steve-O

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in a while. My family has been dealing with the recent diagnosis of breast cancer in my mom and the subsequent surgeries. Needless to say, that has taken a lot of my time. But she's doing well, and I hope to be spending more time in the shop. As for updates, I've added the router mount, built a table top, and added Kreg mini track to the table. The track is blue so it ties in nicely with the rest of the build.

Stevetotheo: I did buy the steel from FLA. I then painted it blue, leaving about 1/2" unpainted along the edge. I hit the bearings with some WD40 and ran them back and forth several times on the steel. They now float along the length with zero binding. I made the table top out of 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF. The mini track sits lower than the MDF, so there is less chance of running over it with the router.

I'm low on cash right now, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to pick up the rest of the parts. In the mean time, I'm just trying to make what I can by myself. Thanks for all the comments. Please keep them coming.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA-100 80/20 build (my first cnc)-photo-3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How long did it take you to get in contact with nate from FLA? I ordered some stiff on the 1st and they still havent shipped out. Haven't been able to contact him by his website, PMs, or Email. Frustrating.

Check out my 8020 build
    http://stevetotheo.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Honestly, I had very few replies from him. However, I did find that he was pretty good about getting orders out the weekend following my order being placed. I know it's frustrating. I am a stickler for customer service, and it annoys me to no end when I feel as if my questions or concerns are being ignored. I understand that this is just a side job for Nate. I wish he could give it a little more attention. But I also don't know what all he has on his plate. He may be doing all he can. I can tell you, the product you receive is/will be worth the wait. Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions throughout your build. I've slowed down for a while due to illness in our family, but I hope to resume the build before too long.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are you lacking on your build? It looks pretty close to being done with the exception of a router?

Im catching up to you quickly! I just finished drilling the holes in my x-rail steel plates and threw the gantry together.

Steve-O

Check out my 8020 build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steve-O:

All I have left at this point are the lead screws and motors. I already have the router. I just haven't put it on yet. This economy is slowing my progress right now. I don't have the extra cash to spend right now. At this rate, I'm hoping to have some cash after Christmas to put towards the remaining parts. It's so frustrating being this close and unable to finish! Good luck with your build!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I completely understand the dilemma. Ive attempted 2 other MDF builds that never made it to the final stages. I keep telling myself that this one is going to be the one that makes it. December 31 is my mental deadline to get this one wrapped up.

Best of luck dude!

Steve-O

Check out my 8020 build

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12