Onecnc And Bobcad, Related?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onecnc And Bobcad, Related?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Onecnc And Bobcad, Related?

How is/was ONECNC related to BOBCAD?
    I see alot of similarites in the layout and if I remember correctly they both have Ausi roots?
    They both are out of Florida, very near each other. 22 miles.
    Just curious.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know nothing about the roots but I have OneCNC and I see absolutely no similarities to the Bobcad 19 demo version I had. I took me about 10 minutes to want to deinstall it from my system, but oh it doesn't really clean up after itself when you remove it so I had to do that manually. If Bobcad will do everything you need then at $400-500 its cheap but IMO you get a $500 hobby-class system. Call OneCNC and get a demo and see for yourself if you need something commercial grade.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Commerical Grade CAD/CAM!

Hey Rand,

I like they way you put that. Commercial Grade or hobby-class.
    Its politically correct and extremely accurate.

Anyway..having had XP Professional for a while how do you like the upgrade to XR Expert in comparison?

OneCNC-USA

Last edited by OneCNC; 07-17-2004 at 03:29 PM.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OneCNC

Anyway..having had XP Professional for a while how do you like the upgrade to XR Expert in comparison?

OneCNC-USA
    There is so much new stuff in XR that it seems like a whole new system but it's not. The new full-time rendered displays are so good that it is now hard for me to go back to using XP but I'm still learning XR before I switch over for good. I can see my parts so much better ! I'm now realizing how much time I spent rendering and rotating wireframes to check my modeling progress. In tranparent mode I was looking THROUGH the skin on my solid, adding elements to my wireframe snapping to points on the geometry I used to make the solids ! That is so cool and saves so much time. I played with filleting all kinds of crazy stuff for hours yesterday. I can now fillet almost anything I try and since I have like 6 months experience with solids modelling I think of filleting stuff that somebody experienced would never try to do, and it works. I really like the improvements in the user interface like the new layer manager, history, and merging model files. I find new improvements every time I use it.

The CAM functionality in XP Pro was close to perfection and I rarely use those words, especially when talking about s/w. XR seems to take that a big leap forward but I haven't cut anything with it just yet. The new simulation is fantastic. I thought just seeing the final product of the toolpath was what I wanted but now seeing the tool cut at whatever speed I choose lets me see things I want to optimize with the settings. Being new to CAM I spend a lot of time simulating and checking the rest robot to make sure I've used the right tool or approach to a part and surface. When I do cut something with XP it comes out EXACTLY like I simulated, down to the smallest detail (wanted or not) so I expect the same with XR. I haven't gotten to any of the Expert features like the special toolpaths but I'm pretty sure I can cut machining time and improve the quality which is great because I hate to sand.

XR will let me model things I couldn't do with XP, do it faster and with better quality and then let me machine exactly what I've modeled with efficient and effective toolpaths. Hard to ask for more than all that but I'll think of something...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default OneCNC XR

Rand,

Have you done any of the new Hole Feature Recognition?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I just did since you asked. My machine is a router w/o ATC so I don't really drill but use end mills and pocket or clean circle toolpaths. I'll do 1/4" holes with an end mill and a drill cycle toolpath but I don't have very many of those.

The hole feature recognition is cool !!!! For my top I had 7 holes, three different diameters, two different depths. It recognized all 7 with the diameters. I selected the checkboxes for the two sets with the same depth (it even warned me that I had different diameters), set my clearances, speeds & feeds etc, my 1/4" end mill and clean circle hole style and I had a toolpath for the first 5. Reselected the HFR and just picked the group of 2 holes with the other depth, did the few settings and then I had a toolpath for those. I could have just as easily selected a drill as my tool or used an end mill that matched the diameter and did a drill cycle.

Fast and foolproof !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I own Bobcad ver 17 and 19, and Onecnc XR and XP, played with Onecnc 2000.

If you saw Onecnc2000 and bobcad 17 you'd say they looked a lot alike in certain respects. The interface, icons, stuff like that.
    XP, and even more, XR are a world apart from Bobcad. A comparison isn't fair. It would be like comparing a Ford focus to a Dodge Viper. Both will get you to the store but they are different animals. If you have a chance check out XR, it's really impressive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is funny, because I have been under the impression One CNC was also hobby software compared to the heavy hitters, nice to hear they might be changing.

I haven't tried any of the newer One CNC products, so I couldn't comment on their worth. I may have bought some of the newest versions, but after calling for help to resolve problems with the One CNC 2000 version software and being told it "didn't have any bugs", the company lost all credibility with me. It had/has more bugs than the average acre of swamp land. Hopefully for the sake of people buying the software now, One CNC got some programmers that knew how to machine and write software. In my case, I hate to get bit by the same dog twice, so I’ll just take your guys word that it’s better now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

M D
    If you don't feel comfortable please feel free to set up an online demo with us. We will be more than happy to so you the software via an online demo. It's a great way to see how OneCNC can work for you. This is the fastest and easiest way to make certain that any questions about OneCNC are answered. You are going to be floored by the level of technology that is now out there.

New Simulation...............New Interface..............New Technology............

As for Leo when you call

877-626-1262

Thanks again

Leo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I apprectiate the offer, and would definitely want check any new software out before buying. At some point I may give you a call.

Here is one major issues I have with 2000: On solid models, even on a flat side of a mold with 7º draft for example, the toolpath will wander down the side and even take some abrubt 2 or 3 thousanths zig-zags for no apparent reasons. It sure takes a lot of time to edit a fine step over to remove most of that. Is the newer softer vastly better in creating minimal gouges? I realize the model needs to be clean, but even on a simple retangle with draft I get that.

I have a lot of fillet problems with 2000, is that vastly improved? I am sure it is not this simple in practice, but I would think if it is geometrical possible to have a fillet it should model it, with some exception perhaps in the case of very complicated geometry.

Do the newer versions promt to add the end of file everytime (for machine code), even though it was added or present already? That takes a lot of time when saving constantly to avoid data loss.

There are a lot of other issues, but I though I throw these at you and see how you think they compare.

Downloads
    Uploads

M_D,

Did you know there is a no charge upgrade for licensed users of Mill 2000?

It is called Mill2003 and has been around for several years.

I have included both a screen shot and a "cad" file, which you can open in Mill2000 to look at.

It is a 7 degree taper wall cavity model which I applied a Z level roughing tool possess to. No Zig zag movements that you spoke of.

As for Filleting... Mill 2000 was version 1 filleting. Xp was version 2. XR is version 3. As the numbers indicate there is a vast difference between Mill2000 and the current XR series.

To the question of end lines..well XR series (and the previous series XP) both have a totally different Nc manager than Mill2000/2003 did.
    No real way to compare them...different as Apples and Oranges.

I used Mill2000 for several years and was very pleased with it.

But to compare Mill2000 with the current series XR is like comparing a 1996 Chevy truck with a New 2005 model. Yes they are both trucks, but the 2005 is so much better in about every way. More power, more comfort, more mileage,more everything.

It would be hard to give up the 2005 to go back to the 96 model, once your test drove it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Onecnc And Bobcad, Related?-7deg-png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did do one upgrade, it is 4.36, but it still shows as 2000 Mill Professional. If this isn't the 2003 you speak of, I want to check it out. I checked on the website and I'll look more later, but so far didn't see where or how to download it.

I opened the file you posted, examined the enclosed toolpath (backplot), and all I can say is it does look much better.

I'll post an example file of mine to soon show what I am speaking about.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mill2003 is version 4.52.

You will have to call OneCNC and get a link and a new password for Mill2003.

And could you please also post a Zipped up cad file of your model.

That way I'll take a look at it and see if it is just a setting that is causing what you are seeing.

Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will need to get another zip program to post the file, I can't zip certain files like .cad and .dxf for some reason.

I did spend some time generating tool paths, and the jagged cuts do vary some, but do not go away (at least so far). When I get the zipped and you can open it, look for the green line segments in the backplot layer. The one I have ready was done with .007" step over, and it has to be zoomed in on to seperate the paths into distinctive lines. So I highlighed some of the problems areas to speed up finding what I am taking about.

Downloads
    Uploads

MD
    I use Winace for all my zip/unzip needs. it works on many other types of archives as well. I think its a great shareware program.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I put the file in a folder and it appears to have zipped ok now, so I'll try to post it.

edit- It say the file is to large, so I'll reduce it and try again.

Last edited by M_D; 08-07-2004 at 09:47 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I deleted some of the backplot lines to reduce the file size.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Solid model file here.

Downloads
    Uploads

M_D,

Here is your file back, (in .cad format) done in XR.

I used a Z level finish op with a step down of .007 as you did.

I also included a couple of screen shots.

One of simulation of the operation and one with the reset robot to show what material is left.

There is no doubt that the XR tool paths are better than the Mill2003.

But then one would expect that. Software developers usually improve upon things as they go. Not make them worse.

Did you also know that you can disconnect the solid into surfaces and then machine them separately or combine some and machine those as a unit?

This just gives you more options to use different Model tool paths on different features.

Like planar on the flatter surfaces and Z level on the more vertical parts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Onecnc And Bobcad, Related?-screenshot017-png   Onecnc And Bobcad, Related?-screenshot018-png  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a lot, it does look better, and I like the rendering shots. I especially like the reset robot feature where it shows what is left to cut.

I was aware of disconnecting the solids. Sometimes, depending on details & circumstances I machine various areas of the part by simply adjusting the bounding areas.

I hate to pester you guys too much more, but I got to wondering about the backplot features and some of the NC editor features. The reason being I do quite a bit of hand coding and editing also, along with generating code with the software, and there are a couple of things that would really speed things up and remove a good deal of frustration when doing so. One thing I would find very helpful is if copy and paste could be done entirely by using the mouse, without having to select the text going to the toolbar to cut or copy, and going back and forth to the top toolbar. Another thing is if the backplot would correctly recognize and render more canned cycles, especially G12 or G13 (canned circle cutting cycles). I prefer to cut most circles with that rather than program a ramping or spiral toolpath with numerous arcs, but when proofing a program or rendered it would be nice to see the entire finished part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast