More on Configuring Xpert NC Post

Thread: More on Configuring Xpert NC Post

Downloads
    Uploads

Default More on Configuring Xpert NC Post

First let me say that I am really impressed with the way that OnecncXp allows for extremely good customization of drilling cycles (as one example) to match what your controller happens to need. I am an old bobcad user, and I had to write scripts to accomplish the same thing there.

One added benefit of the way OnecncXP handles this, is that a simulation of the drilling cycle actually will produce a rendered view that shows the holes. Cool !

The thought occurred to me that wouldn't it be cool if we could actually modify our solid models in this manner? It would make short work of drawing cylinders and then subtracting them from solids to try to draw an accurate model. Sort of reverse CAM engineering, if you will. I know how to machine better than I know how to draw

Okay, there are a couple of things (not bugs) about the NC Post settings I haven't figured out, and maybe these options do not exist, or could be added. I post this in the interest of all users who would like info on these techniques, and to hopefully save tech support a lot of "yakkin' on the phone"

1) Tool or machine home position:
    The way I do things, I need to be able to frequently alter my G92 home position and have those changes reflected in my gcode.
    At present, the best I can do is go to:
    Start and FINISH FORMAT
    and insert a fixed home position at the end of the "start lines" field. Currently, there is no option in the list of substitutions that will allow for home coordinates to be called up in this area. These home coordinates could also perhaps be made available in the "Tool format" fields in case some would prefer to do it there.

Is there already a way to do this that I've overlooked?

I notice that in the "Process single operation" area, that OnecncXP has made it extremely convenient to check and/or reset the Zero position, but there is no way to make those values get posted as part of a G92 command.

I am also confused between the Home position and the "Zero position" and how these interact. They do not seem to be the same thing. What is this Zero position referring to, and how should it be used?

2) I'm still in the learning stage here, and I was wondering how does one go about combining several operations, as detailed in the NC manager, and making them all post in sequence in one NC file? Lets say I wanted to drill a few holes with twist drills and then mill some slots in the same setup. Currently, I get each tool operation listed as a seperate step in the NC manager (this is nifty), but of course I can only post these one at a time, so then I end up with two complete, but seperate programs, which I would have to cut and paste to merge together. What's the "real way" to do this?

I figured out the answer to 2): just select the toolpath group instead of the individual cycles. Doh

3) I'd like to see "tool tips" (until I know what they all mean) for the icons in the NC manager. at present, I cannot get "focus" on the NC manager title bar. It permanently shows as an inactive window by the color of the top bar, although I can do stuff within it. I'll bet this is why the tooltips aren't popping up.

Thanks.