2D Toolpath Start Point?

Thread: 2D Toolpath Start Point?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2D Toolpath Start Point?

HU, WMS,

As blessed users of the latest release of Mill Expert, can you tell me about any 2D enhancements that may have been added in the upcoming release?

I am spolied by Mastercam Router's ability to automatically use the midpoint of the selected entity in the chain to be cut as the start point (or not), instead of Mill Expert's choice of always being the beginning of the entity chosen.

I also am spoiled by Mastercam's ability to do the above AFTER all the chains I wish to have cut are selected in contrast to Mill Expert's insistance at cutting one 2D chain at a time.

Why should I care, since I already own/use Mastercam Router? Well, I would like to standardize using ONE CADCAM package, if possible. I purchased Mastercam 1 1/2 years ago when it looked like 2 D and 2 1/2D routing was all I would be doing. Since that time, I have been getting many requests from my customers to supply not only 2D and 2 1/2D carbon fiber and G10 parts, but also aluminum 2D - 3D parts. I purchased Mill Expert mainly because of it's features/prices vs buying a $$$$$ mill version of Mastercam. Since I have not established a major foothold on the 3D end of things, it seemed foolish to spend big bucks.

I would like to use Mill Expert for ALL my cadcam needs - maybe I can't. I certainly intend to use it for 3D no matter what, but it would be nice if Mill Expert could foot the 2D bill as well.

Mike Reyes explained it well once when I asked him the same question many months ago. He said using Mill Expert for 2D was like driving a Ferrari to the grocery store.

Can you guys fill me in on the newest update, or maybe using 2 packages from different suppliers is the way to go??

Mark Linder
    (Definitely comfortable tonight in San Diego)

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark,

I drive my Ferrari to the grocery store almost every day, so to speak.

The new Ver 5.23 has new multi logic toolpaths, that apply to 2d stuff as well.

But if I remember right you do mostly profile stuff not a lot of pockets. In the new version you can select more than one profile at a time to do. But the way you do this is, say you have 10 profiles to do, you select all but one of them with "chain select" then you select the "cut profile" and when asked to select profile, you select the last one and it will cut them all. Going to clearance between profiles.

It also does a better job of starting in say a corner. It will see that it can't ramp on or off the corner and will go to plunge, if nessasary, both on and off, or only on or only off if needed.

If I were you, (and I'm not), I would look at Onecnc profiler program for your router needs. That way you would have the same basic software for both profiling and 2.5 d / 3d (and soon 5 axis ).

I believe that there is an update to profiler due some time next year. But I haven't looked at the Mill 2000 series profiler. I know there is a Demo.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guy's

We use a software called Onecnc profiler from the same supplier. This allows you to have a start anywhere you select. It is obviously optimized for that. We automatically nest the parts first allowing an automatic clearance between the bits and just touch the parts where we want the start to be selecting the shortest route and its done and takes only a few minutes for an 8x4 sheet covered in shapes. It will also do the whole bit automatically but we choose to use it manually for more control.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cruncher,

Thanks for your input.

Actually, I own Profiler. I have found it to have some operability issues that I don't care for. The main one being the following:

When I rout parts, they are nested on either 18x24 size panels or 36 x 48 size panels. These parts are fairly small. Imagine selecting the chains you wish to rout, many of which have internal cutout pieces as well. Because there are so many parts nested, the drawing screen is zoomed out pretty far to see them all, making them difficult to see at times. As you start to select chains to cut, sometimes i must zoom in to make sure I select the chain in the proper spot/direction. The act of zooming in unhighlights the chains I previously selected, making it difficult or impossible to remember which ones have already been selected for cutting!

I was told to try live panning/zooming but it does the same thing.

This quirk in Profile necessitated my eventual purchase of Mastercam Router, which does not exhibit this quirk.

My main point is that I would like to see the stengths/features of Profile (minus the above quirk) integrated into Mill Expert. This way, I can have my cadcam from one program AND enjoy the advantages of Mill Expert (associativity being the main one).

I hope I made some sense.

Have a good day.

Mark Linder

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark,

Have you downloaded the new Mill2003 profiler?

I downloaded it and "played" a round with it. It will cut all the entities on the screen at once and will pick up it's own start and stop points, offset inside or outside, nest, ect....

You can zoom in or out unlimited times without losing your select function. You can select the inner tool paths, then select the outer tool paths, ramp on / off, angle on / off, select were to start from,ect.....

Looks pretty neat, I don't know what your ver is or how it works.

Just thought you might want to look at 2003, if you haven't already.

Last edited by wms; 08-04-2003 at 12:45 PM.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

WMS,

I download the latest version.

Try this.

Open a drawing with holes you intend to drill. Start selecting the arc centers you intend to drill. Of course, you can see the toolpath (dashed lines) as you go along. To this point, you know which arcs you have selected. At some point BEFORE you finish selecting all the holes you intend to drill, zoom in or out. You will now find that the toolpath for the holes you previously selected has disappeared! OK, ummm where did I leave off?? Gee, i don't remember. Too many holes. YIKES! I can't begin to tell you the number of times I have done this and ultimately left out a hole or two during the drilling process.

I haven't played with the cutting portion yet.

Mark Linder

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark,

Are you talking about profiler or Xp series mill ?

Are you using the wheel or the - / + keys?

For all 2000/2003 series:
    You use the - / + keys (the number key pad) to zoom. Place your cursor at what you want the center of your screen to be it. Your function will stay locked on this way.

For all XP series:
    You can also use the wheel on your mouse to zoom in or out and also rotate without loosing your function.

Last edited by wms; 08-04-2003 at 02:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

WMS,

I am talking about Profile.

Yes, when one uses the +/- keys to zoom in/out the FUNCTION indeed remains active but the ENTITIES you previously selected are no longer highlighted creating confusion in my little brain on remembering where I left off before I zoomed.

On CHAINED entities or profiles it works. The entities/chains stay highlighted, but NOT for drilling holes.

Maybe I am using the incorrect procedure for selecting holes for drilling??? Profile does not have a dedicated drilling function, just Move to Point - that's what I used for selecting the drill points. Maybe there is another/better/correct way?

Mark Linder
    (By the way, I am sweating again in San Diego)

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by mlinder
    WMS,

I am talking about Profile.

On CHAINED entities or profiles it works. The entities/chains stay highlighted, but NOT for drilling holes.

Maybe I am using the incorrect procedure for selecting holes for drilling??? Profile does not have a dedicated drilling function, just Move to Point - that's what I used for selecting the drill points. Maybe there is another/better/correct way?

Mark Linder
    (By the way, I am sweating again in San Diego)
    Mark,
    Sorry I misunderstood you. I see what you mean about "drilling".

We need to get a drill function added to profiler, for your guys who are drilling holes along with profiling parts.

I suspect that the developer ment for profiler to be used by plasma, lazer, water jet guys. As they would have no way to "drill" a hole in the conventional sense. You router guys would.

But should be no trouble to add a drill cycle to the update.

I would suggest that you fire off an e-mail to Bob about adding this .

Downloads
    Uploads

WMS,

So I am NOT crazy (on this subject anyway) after all?!!??

Are we talking about Bob Francis? If so, what would his email address be?

That would be pretty neat if they could add the drilling cycle to Profile like what is in Mill Production.

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by mlinder
    WMS,

I download the latest version.

Try this.

Open a drawing with holes you intend to drill. Start selecting the arc centers you intend to drill. Of course, you can see the toolpath (dashed lines) as you go along. To this point, you know which arcs you have selected. At some point BEFORE you finish selecting all the holes you intend to drill, zoom in or out. You will now find that the toolpath for the holes you previously selected has disappeared! OK, ummm where did I leave off?? Gee, i don't remember. Too many holes. YIKES! I can't begin to tell you the number of times I have done this and ultimately left out a hole or two during the drilling process.

I haven't played with the cutting portion yet.

Mark Linder
    Mark,
    Here's a "Band-Aid" for you.

After you zoom in or out, open your nc editor and highlight your last line of code. It will show you were your last selection was. If you need to you can scroll thru the code and see what has been selected and what has not.

If you select (move to point) in a somewhat orderly fashion, then you can pick up were you left off without to much trouble.

Last edited by wms; 08-04-2003 at 05:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Just Sweaty

Mark,

Your not Crazy, Just, well........ "Sweaty" .

In San Diego... Of course!

Downloads
    Uploads

WMS,

Yeah, that's how I used to do it.

Mike is supposed to call me this week. I'll talk to him about some of these things.

Thanks!

Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mark
    you can start anyplace you like on your profile in any of onecnc
    products its quite easy, say you want to start mid point of a line
    create a point mid point of the line break line at that point, then
    when you pick your profile past that point it will then start your nc
    code from that point including approach and depart
    best regards
    peter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

mark
    it quite easy to create a start point (in any of onecnc products)where you want your profile to cut from.
    say you wanted to start mid point of a line,create a point mid point of line break line at point then when you select profile
    select line after break point and your profile will be cut starting at that point will also create lead in lead out at that point
    regards
    peter