New Onecnc user!! - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Onecnc user!!

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now I am really confused!
    I went and changed the X axis to 5.0, now, to get to the center, I have double the amount?
    In other words, when I touch off to the material, I set zero on X,
    then I move in half the diameter of the stock, and it only moves half way(Stock is .312, move x in .156 for the center line of the spindle) then I set zero again.
    So when the program is running will it take into account the differance?
    Lost in Seattle!!!
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty,
    Set X to .5 not 5.0.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty, make sure that you set your Onecnc NC Post output "General settings" back to diameter programming.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Right when I thought I was close, and all heck breaks out.
    Went back into Turbocnc.ini, and changed the value to 0.5 instead of 5.0....
    Now when I input .156, the x axis will barely move! So I am thinking that when ABSprescale was set at 1.0, and I was close there, why not try 2.0 in ABS prescale.
    I also changed the NC post in Onecnc back to Diameter programming. Any thoughts?
    Another question, am I zeroing X correctly!
    I first touch off, zero X( just to keep the math simple) then I move Z out of the way of the material, and move X in half the distance of the material, which is .312, and zero X again, then I do the same for Z. Bring X out enough to clear the material, and run the program.
    Seems simple enough, but again, I am missing something.
    Smitty

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also,
    What about the scale factors in the NC post. I have both X/Z at 1,

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty, now you're using diameters, okay? So, to move in from a touch up on a .3125 diameter, you must move in .3125" in X, because now it is a diameter. Think of it in terms like this: now my toolnose is at a .3125" diameter. I want to move it to zero diameter. The difference is .3125

As for your Turbocnc, you should be able to find the right factor with just a couple of tests, if need be. The parameter Dave told you is a simple ratio. Either halve it or double it, one way will get what you want.

Last edited by HuFlungDung; 08-09-2003 at 05:51 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The scale factors you leave at 1 and 1.

Only adjust these on the occasion where you want to generate new code for a scaled up (or down) model. I've never had the occassion to do that yet.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, as luck would have it, I removed Turbocnc from the system, and now I cannot get it re-installed!
    Times like these I just want to quit!
    Tommorrow is another day, thank god!
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Sometimes, you have to shut right down and do a cold boot to fix who knows what.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

HFD,
    Heres one for ya'
    Should I draw my part in X-/ Z-?
    I was wondering if that is the reason why I am not getting the correct results, since my cutter is on the front of the machine and not the back like in Onecnc.
    Worth a try,
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty, that depends on how you want to configure your controller software. It is likely possible to invert the X axis ( through parameters or rewiring) on your machine if you prefer to work in X-Z-. I wouldn't recommend this though, because it is non-conventional. Who knows where or what you might be running for a controller or a machine someday?

I have lathes of both configurations, but I program the parts with a conventional part position in X+Z- on screen. One lathe has front and rear toolposts, so in those circumstances, I need to draw both views of the part (you know, mirrored on the horizontal axis). Then, I can get nc code from either side as required.

Machining from the other side (X- on screen) requires the use of Onecnc's so called "ID" or boring tools, but that is not difficult to keep track of. After all, it is just the shape and approach of the carbide insert that matters.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I gave it a try, I agree, not the way to go!
    Still trying to get the controller to do what I need it to do.
    Need Daves help with that one.
    The thing that bugs me, is that when Dimensional Programming is off, I get a part that is close, but when it is on, I am nowhere close, even with Turbocnc set at .5 instead of 1.0
    Oh well, I still have Fords to work on to pay the bills! This is still just a hobby???
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty, what kind of error do you get? Are you zeroing correctly, taking into account the diameter is the amount you need to move from the outer touchup to the centerline?

Do the X axis readouts seem to be showing you diameter? Do you have a manual dial on that axis, so that you can compare axis readings to machine movement and make sure that what you get on screen is what you see on the dial? I'm assuming that Turbocnc has some kind of on screen axis displays?

Last edited by HuFlungDung; 08-10-2003 at 04:55 PM.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

HFD,
    The error I am getting is about half of what needs to be removed.
    I just cut another one, and same thing. X is going in .0425 when it should be going .085.
    So, I was wondering, should I lie to the lathe, and set X zero an additional .0425 in past zero(where I have zero set now), and put in enough clearance when the tool is brought back? Now if I do this, will the BALL diameter be the correct diameter?
    Here is a pic of what I just finished....ok, I would but the pic is too big!!!
    Any good programs for dummys like me to download for this picture problem?
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Smitty,

Hmm, I don't know what your files are like currently, but I take it you did generate a brand new nc code file after you changed the option in Onecnc to Diameter programming, right? What you are describing sounds like what would happen if the program was still written for radius values, when your machine expected diameters.

Maybe zip up your current dogbone Cad file and also, the nc file you are using and email it to me so I can see what you are currently working with.

mcewan.machining@sasktel.net

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I cheated and set my zero .0425 pass my first zero, although this is not the right way to accomplish this, my part came out just about perfect!!!
    Now to figure out the proper way, or what I am missing more like!
    Smitty

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just had another thought, with the concerns I am having now, maybe I should draw my part in full scale instead of drawing half of it, just throwing out random thoughts again.
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty,

It really doesn't matter if you draw all of your part, as you are only selecting a chain or profile to machine.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Burst the bubble!!
    Well it was worth a try! Learnin' all sorts of new things with this thing!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Well Smitty, I don't see any problem with your drawing. Now if only I could see your NC code. Even if you post a screenshot on here, it would be fine.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast