From/To car position

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From/To car position

Downloads
    Uploads

Default From/To car position

I am using (learning) OneCNC XP production.

How do I define the "car position" work plane which is Some unknown compound angle to a "machinable" work plane. And move my file to mold Zero.

We use catia as a design software. The Model is NEVER moved from car postion. However when I import the file I do have "mold Zero" x and Y coordinates. So the mold is out in left field but then is normally moved into the mold zero work plane.

Did that make sense?

John F.
    One new NC user
    Still using Cimatron.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

I don't claim to have a handle on this "car position" stuff, but I'd sure be willing to take a look at your file if that is allright. (Zip size must be below 6 megs)

Or send it in to Onecnc Tech support and then phone them for knowledgeable instruction. This last option might be best.

Or, Ward might happen along here with a good explanation all prepared so we can all get smarter together

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Move from in car position

John, ( sorry I was hung up)

Your first question. Hope we can help.

There is a thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=&threadid=384 that goes into this feature.

If this doesn't clear up your question let me know.

As with Hu's offer, I too would take a look at your file and give you specific advice. Let me know and I'll PM you my e-mail

Last edited by cncadmin; 12-14-2004 at 12:43 AM.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

WMS,

Thank You that tread helped! I did it but I am unsure how, I will play with it till I know what I am doing. I have to train 5 people how to use this software.

One OT question.

Is there a way to pan with the keyboard.

The files I am getting are rather large and when I Rotate, Pan or Zoom dynamically the software can't keep up and I have to sit and watch it spin and zoom for several seconds after I stop moving the mouse then Hope it is in the right position.

I most likely will be breaking up these files but I still have to read them in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pan

John,

You can Pan by Holding down the "shift" key and using the right mouse button. The left mouse button will zoom while holding down the "shift" key.

If you have a wheel mouse, you can zoom with the wheel, by rotating the wheel. Or rotate by holding the wheel "down" and moving the mouse.

Last edited by wms; 07-11-2003 at 01:59 PM.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

WMS

Yes I've figured that out.

But when I do that Either the software or computer can't keep up.

If I zoom in and out with the "z" and "Z" it is a finite move. I would like to pan say 1/8 to 1/4 of what is on the screen.

I also can rotate with the arrows and control but I would like to pan with the keyboard.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ward,

Is there a definition on what the words
    "In Car" mean? Sounds kind of out there. I wonder who thought that up?

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by John F
    WMS

Yes I've figured that out.

But when I do that Either the software or computer can't keep up.

If I zoom in and out with the "z" and "Z" it is a finite move. I would like to pan say 1/8 to 1/4 of what is on the screen.

I also can rotate with the arrows and control but I would like to pan with the keyboard.

John
    Try holding down CTRL and using the arrow keys? I didn't even know this worked up until now

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Downloads
    Uploads

RE: "in car"

I'm imagining that it has something to do with relative coordinate systems, such as when you view a model from its place in the "cyber-universe" versus when you view it from a relevant feature of the model itself which contains the origin of reference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, WMS, but I usually just rotate, and move the model around until I've got it where I want it. If it is round, then I might want the primary datum (reference point or origin) at the arc center.

For most other work, I usually set one corner of my part's minimum "extents box" on the origin. This represents the size of the stock I start with. Any extra allowance on the stock is taken care of when setting up the machine, where a G92 home position is established before cutting begins.

What do you guys do?

Downloads
    Uploads

Guys,

The arrow/ control thing is something that can be setup under the customize toolbars. That said, if it is not working, you can change it under this setting. You can also customize about any key combination to most anything.

John,
    I don't see any "pan" selections under the view menu, other than live pan and rotate. You could send this in to support as a "want".
    They are very good about adding these things.
    I'm sure the reason your model spins and rotate, as you put it, is due to the large number on entites you probably have in your file. You may want to increase your Ram. This will help this.
    You have to remember that the computer has to move all this stuff around when you ask it to. Lots of math going on there.

In car: I believe this has to do with the auto industy. Most likely when an assembly file is made up of many parts. Then the file is imported into Onecnc and we machinists need to select one of the components and move it to a useful datum, so we can machine the component.

Correct me if I'm wrong, WMS, but I usually just rotate, and move the model around until I've got it where I want it. If it is round, then I might want the primary datum (reference point or origin) at the arc center.

For most other work, I usually set one corner of my part's minimum "extents box" on the origin. This represents the size of the stock I start with. Any extra allowance on the stock is taken care of when setting up the machine, where a G92 home position is established before cutting begins.
    HU,
    Same as you. I do use the "move from in car" if the model is imported and is a long ways from zero or rotated out of normal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Pan = CTRL+ Arrow keys is in the help file.

Check "Simple Knowledge base articles", "how to add keyboard shortcuts", look for the link at "default set".

Downloads
    Uploads

The arrow/ control thing is something that can be setup under the customize toolbars. That said, if it is not working, you can change it under this setting. You can also customize about any key combination to most anything.
    I was wrong. This is not in the customize. Mines not working.
    I'm using Windows XP with Expert.

Please let me know which version of windows and onecnc, you are using and if it is or is not working. Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

JUST READING THE THREAD ON IN CAR POSITION . THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT IS WHEN A CAR IS DESIGNED THERE IS A POINT OFF THE FRONT OFF THE CAR THAT IT IS DESIGNED FROM . ANYBODY WORKING ON THIS CAR WOULD BE TAKING MEASUREMENTS FROM THIS POINT . I HAVE BEEN TOLD YOU COULD MACHINE "IN BODY " BUT I HAVEN'T TAKEN THE TIME TO FIGURE IT OUT , PROBABLY SOMETHING TO DO WITH SETTING YOUR WORK COORDINATE ON THE MACHINE ( G54 OR WHATEVER )RELATIVE TO A POINT ON THE PART .

VIPERDM100

Downloads
    Uploads

John,

I just had another thought. If you are trying to get a specific area of your file centered on the screen, have you used the "zoom window". After you get close then you can zoom in or out. Or rotate a small amount. Or use the zoom window again.

Just a thought.

Downloads
    Uploads

GUYS

PAN

mine dosen't work either (XP production windows)

Mine only works once then it dosen't pan. By once I mean it shifts the part once and any othe keystrokes in an attempt to pan does not work. But at least it is there I'm sure it can be fixed.

Car position

This is Genrally centerline of the front axle and either the steering column or CL of the car perpendiculay to the axles. Though the standard does seem to change. I am unsure what if there is a industry standard.

Zooming

Other software I have used have options for "dynamic Zooming."
    1) Zoom center of the screen
    2) Zoom by indication of cursor

I prefer Zooming by cursor and using "z" and "Z". Actually I reveresed OneCNC's setup so that "Z" is zoom out.
    CIMLINC shortcut that I had used for 5 years previous.

John F

Downloads
    Uploads

Default control /arrows = rotate

John,

Will you windows xp / onecnc xp production, rotate with the "control" key / arrows keys?

Hu,
    Your windows 2000 / onecnc expert?

Ken shea,
    How about your setup?

Anybody else?

Downloads
    Uploads

That is weird, no it does not work properly on Win2000. I mistook the first movement as being an indication that it would continue to pan, but it only seems to move one increment and then stops panning for me, too. This happened after the computer sat idle over the lunch hour, with Mill XP running and a drawing loaded.

EDIT:

No, it does work sometimes. I closed down the drawing and started afresh, and then I drew a rect surface and I could pan it properly with the CTRL+ arrow. Then, I reloaded the previous drawing, and now it works again.

I'll try to determine when it quits working and post back here.

Last edited by HuFlungDung; 07-11-2003 at 03:22 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine pans correctly with the Shift key as to mentioned. It also rotates properly using the Ctrl Key.

Maybe it has something to do with the "unobtainium" release of the newest Expert update???

I am on version 5.14

Just a thought.

Mark Linder
    (Still sweating in San Diego)

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh - I am using Windows XP Pro

Mark Linder
    (Still - yeah, you know)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mark,

Ward
    Still cool in Wyoming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast