Peck tapping on an Okuma MX-45VAE

Thread: Peck tapping on an Okuma MX-45VAE

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Peck tapping on an Okuma MX-45VAE

This machine has OSP-U100M control. I understand that newer controls have a G282 code for peck tapping, but it doesn't seem that I have that capability. I am assuming you could peck tap with some manual editing as long as you can get the spindle to reorient before taking another peck. I see in my Special Functions Manual that G84 has a parameter 'E' for angle designation, which I think I could use. Parameter 'E' isn't listed in the regular programming manual though for some reason.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I am tapping through on 1" thick piece of ASTM A514 alloy plate with a 3/8"-16 tap. Anyone have any good suggestions if I can't peck tap?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Peck tapping on an Okuma MX-45VAE

For anyone who's curious, I ran a test program. I was able to make Mastercam insert the Z values for pecking by choosing multiple points at the same X/Y location, but different Z locations. Then I manually inserted a magical, top-secret, 'E' parameter (with value 0) into the G84 command and this orients the spindle to the same spot before each peck. I haven't cut any metal yet, but I'm confident enough to run the part with this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Peck tapping on an Okuma MX-45VAE

Yes the old machines have been able to do it for years. The new ones just made it easier...

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.