Thread: Diagonal Hobbing

scaring mice @ north pole deadlykitten's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Diagonal Hobbing

large end of hob is toward "top" of machine
    hello corey cutting forces are :
    ... getting bigger ( or lower ) during the cutting, or
    ... are constant ( because depth decreases while cutting edge length increases )

in all these cases, i think that is better to have the hob with the smaller diameter near the M spindle, so to have increased rigidity when finishing

as i have seen from the program, the hob is under the part; if you wish to flip the hob on the arbor, than the hob must be above the part when cutting simply replace in your program YPOS=-1 with YPOS=+1 should work of course, real trials are required so to take a decision about hob orientation

it will take some time to get your requested info. This machine hasn't sit idle since we got it in april
    15minutes should be more than enough time for measuring the hob inside the cnc i proposed this variant, because it provides data from the clamping position, thus measuring the tool where it will be used

of course, tool may be measured also externally the cnc

is good, from time to time, to run trials on the cnc / so to die smarter

I think the hob angle u want is on the cutter but it doesn't hurt to double check i suppose
    i need the taper of the cutting edges; edges are disposed on a cone; the conicity of the tool

in image 1 i represented the segments for 2 rows of teeth; each row of teeth has the cutting edges colinear, among a generator; all these generators are intersecting right at the top of the cone ( image 2 )

i need the cone angle ( 2*alfa from image 3 )

you may measure it inside another cnc, or just ask for this value from the tool provider ( hoping that is not a resseler, but the manufacturer of the tool )

again : what i am doing with this hob story is not something that i have done before, so i hope it will work

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diagonal Hobbing-01-png   Diagonal Hobbing-02-jpg   Diagonal Hobbing-03-png  
    Last edited by deadlykitten; 11-13-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    Dub FX 'NO REST FOR THE WICKED' feat. CAde & Mahesh Vinayakram, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBmMzabdEKQ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post

please, what is the purpose of this comment : (INTERRUPT SUBROUTINE) + (ACTIVATED BY YELLOW BUTTON) ?
    It's for the big yellow Emergency Return button right above the "e-stop" button.... it makes the tool escape out of the cut if the operator doesnt like how something looks or sounds. But the "feed hold" button does the same thing during the hobbing cycle.

Okuma made contact this morning so hopefully help is on the way.

BTW, How can i tell if i have the flat turning option?

scaring mice @ north pole deadlykitten's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi, maybe your Okuma rep has a good application guy but diagonal hobbing is not common ...

flat turning allows only this ratios : 1:n, where n=1,2,3...6; this function realizes the sync between S&M axis, but you allready have the M556 that is designed for hobing so ...

however, if you are really interested to see if you have it, simply run a specific flat turning code, and, if you dont have it, an alarm about specs will occur / kindly

Last edited by deadlykitten; 11-14-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    Dub FX 'NO REST FOR THE WICKED' feat. CAde & Mahesh Vinayakram, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBmMzabdEKQ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123