Need Help! Okuma Ls30-n osp5000l-g spindle not work in manual mode.

Thread: Okuma Ls30-n osp5000l-g spindle not work in manual mode.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Okuma Ls30-n osp5000l-g spindle not work in manual mode.

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum but I found over here because there appears to be a lot of information in okuma.

I have a problem with okuma ls30-n osp5000l-g lathe. this is a former metal school machine and it has an inhibition that manual use does not make the spindle rotate but the automatic can be machined and mdi works but manually operates other movements runs ok but does not leave the spindle rotating and does not give any alarm.

So, if any parameter or bit could be an impediment to this activity, you should always first put the M157 code mdi or the program before you can move the command with the machine.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma Ls30-n osp5000l-g spindle not work in manual mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Okumaepe View Post
    it has an inhibition that manual use does not make the spindle rotate
    hello if this is not a malfunction, then whoever did this, just bypassed the way the cnc works; it involves messing with default interlocks; maybe it was a safety future required by the school, but i doubt it

i have seen strange behaviour on newer tailstocks, like repeating a home comand even if the tailstock is where it should be; in other words, even if the physical position was ok, i still needed to input M55 ( or something ), only to trigger the confirmation signal; this did not happen frequently ; it was a particular case, that i handled through code

i am sorry, i really can not help you; i suppose you did all the normal things

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, this is not a malfunction but a special lock on the school machine, I think.

So, at the same time, this M157 code is with these miracles, but it has to be written on the board even though everything is ok.
    The machine also has a selector switch that chooses a chuck or tailstock work but this does not affect the code needs.

Otherwise, the machine works just fine, but such vanities are hampering, for example, turning the soft jaws and removing the metal with the handwheel when it is not possible to rotate the chuck.

I read the system operation book but it had all the other parameters and I really did not find out where to get help locking the problem without having to pay half the price of the machine.

I also have a osp5000m-g control, but it also works in manual mode and it has different parameter menus, a few more and a few missing so can not compare.

Downloads
    Uploads

why don't you just put an M157 at the beging of your every program file ? all my codes begin with M157, so to be able to run a warm up program that includes the tailstock, even if the main setup does not use the tailstock ( i added this last week, or pretty recently, so to say ... )

in other words, the key on the panel will rust in the actual position

Otherwise, the machine works just fine, but such vanities are hampering, for example, turning the soft jaws and removing the metal with the handwheel when it is not possible to rotate the chuck
    i am not sure, but i think that you use a lot MDI mode, and so, you go crazy ( if i may ) each time you input M157 ; but who wouldn't feel like that?

hmm ... i use rarely MDI i have 7 programs for machining jaws, that i simply load inside the machine, and they are pretty customizable

i dont know the memory capacity for that lathe ( actually i have no clues about it ), but if it is ok, just put inside it some programs for jaws machining, and run them normally

so, if you use a lot MDI, maybe you wish to discuss about the operations that you run, so to find an alternative

my point is just leave it like that, and find alternative faster ways ( if possible )

I also have a osp5000m-g control, but it also works in manual mode and it has different parameter menus, a few more and a few missing so can not compare.
    even if interfaces were pretty similar, there may be underthehood differences, which are listed inside the management data card

if somehow you find the guy that tunned that lathe, please let me know i have pending requests at Okuma, about non-standard CTR behaviours; waiting for a reply

kindly !

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, I would not want to use mdi any, but when this lathe has been for me only one week and it is completely new to learn so it would be easier, for example, to size the tools first and take the throbbing of cheating with a manual handwheel but when it does not succeed because the spindle stops when turned into manual mode.

Yes the programs are fit and I have the data transfer dnc okay for both okuma. but I'm not used to taking the zero point of a rotating parts.

This is such a hobby machine and it feels like a little bit back in time back but there have been a lot of good features at that time ..

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle is supposed to stop when switching from Auto or MDI to manual. If you want to move the machine manually and keep the spindle rotating, use the Mid Auto Manual button to allow manual movement to occur during either Auto or MDI. Otherwise, enter your speed in MDI and after switching to manual use the CW or CCW spindle buttons to restart the spindle in manual mode. The door interlock will prevent you from rotating too fast with the door open. I think it's 2000RPM max on that vintage machine which is much higher than the new machines limits of only 200 RPM.

Optional parameter Word #74 is how to adjust the door interlock speed. Factory default is 50 RPM but it will go higher. Of course be careful!

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, I have also tried this MDI auto button, and put the M157 M42 S500 and pressed enter and start and move manual. But the spindle does not run on the CW and CCW buttons.

Spindle moves JOG button but these CW and CCW buttons are like dead, this same repeats no matter interlock switch ON or OFF mode and door open or closed.

This will add extra work a zero setting and tool setting when the spindle does not rotate in the same mode as the Handwheel or Slide JOG buttons X and Z would work.

This parameter # 74 is 0 and will not change to any other number. give a warning too big input number.

Other parameters can be changed but I do not know what would be the right one.

DNC parameters I changed that I got to work.

Downloads
    Uploads

This will add extra work a zero setting and tool setting when the spindle does not rotate in the same mode as the Handwheel or Slide JOG buttons X and Z would work.
    take a teenager with a phone, make a movie with you ( or someone ) doing this setting i simply wish to see what you do

i will reply, and show you how to do it without MDI, and i think that i will cover all your problems, and i think that i may show you a faster way

if this conversation would took place 10 years from now, i think i will be able to come near you as a hologram, and help you right on the spot

no fee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    take a teenager with a phone, make a movie with you ( or someone ) doing this setting i simply wish to see what you do

i will reply, and show you how to do it without MDI, and i think that i will cover all your problems, and i think that i may show you a faster way

if this conversation would took place 10 years from now, i think i will be able to come near you as a hologram, and help you right on the spot

no fee
    Now, bring my child is still small .. But I have received a few tools set. And completed the work pieces. The tool and the zero point can of course set anyway but I learned to do it without some toolsetter. (fanuc measure). But in my headjob, there are new machines, and I get the job done conveniently and get a rotating work piece chip when I take a zero.

The whole need of a job should only be that it can rotate the spindle as mentioned or not in the operating manual.

The fact that parameters # 70 and forward are all 0 though there should be something so it really is as machine-specific as it can be.

Downloads
    Uploads

in manual mode, put the tool above the part; i hope this code works on your lathe

Code:
       V1 = material diameter + clearance ( start dia          )
       V2 = nose radius                   ( to compute end dia )
       V3 = how much to cut               ( salami slice       )

( * )

G50 S
        T
        G97 S M03 M08 M42
      ( G00 X+2 Z+1      G91 )
      (     X-2 Z-1          )
        NLOOP
        G01 X-2*V2 F G95 G90
            Z=+0.5       G91
        G00 X=2*V2+V1
            Z=-0.5
        M0 (*)
            Z=-V3
        GOTO NLOOP

M02

(* if face is ok : )
    ( ... reset + MDI + call tool + declare Z0, or )
    ( ... MDI + declare Z0 ; maybe it works without reseting the cnc, and, in this case, tool corection will remain active )
    when cutting the face, it may be possible that the turret will move also on Z, with a value = Z_tool_offset

if this happens, than run the code without the brackets, but i dont know if it will work; you will be needing the equivalent of G00 X+VSIOX Z+VSIOZ for your control, so it will be required to remove compensatory movements

i will be thinking about this; maybe it works as it is ...

keystrokes analysis:

1) usual way
    MDI + input box + G97 S1500 M3 + write + execute + manual mode + manual movement = 16 keystrokes + manual mode + manual movement

2) using a program
    interface + file open + 55 (V1) + 0.8 ( V2) + 0.75 ( V3) + save + auto + select program ( 3 keystrokes) = 16 keystrokes ; manual moves are not required

3) macro asignment ( requires M157 inside the code )
    MDI + input box + **** *5 (V1) + *0.8 ( V2) + *0.75 ( V3) + write + execute = 19 keystrokes ; manual moves are not required

4) macro without V3 input will require 14 keystrokes

5) macro without V3 input, and without V2, will require 10 keystrokes

this is all i can do for the moment; kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    so it will be required to remove compensatory movements
    if you will end up in this case, please consider this alternative :

turret up, a bit towards right
    index to desired tool
    MDI + **** *12 ( macro to index to tool 12, and move to X0 and at a safe general Z, like 200 ? ... requires 9 keystrokes )
    ... compared to classical method : MDI + T0505 which requires 8 keystrokes, you simply input 1 extra keystroke and also have the benefit of a move

MANUAL + come in front of the part, only by moving the turret towards left; this will leave the tool at X0 Zclearance
    ... compared to classical method, this is faster, because only 1 move is required from the operator

MDI **** *55 *0.7 ( macro which will start cutting a 55 diameter, with 0.7 slices )
    ... compared to classical method, this is faster, because you avoid entirely the potentiometer or the hand wheel
    ... also string length is pretty similar to G97 Sxxxx M03

the 1st macro should be based on this code :
    Code:
        T=V1*101 ( V1 = turret post )
        G00 X0

M02
    the 2nd macro should be based on this code :
    Code:
       V1 = 55   ( start diameter )
       V2 = 0.7  ( salami slice   )

( * )

G50 S2000
        M157
        G97 S1500 M03 M08 M42
        G00 X=+V1            G91
            Z=-V2
        NLOOP
        G01 X=-V1      F0.75 G95
            Z=+0.5
        G00 X=+V1
            Z=-0.5
        M0
            Z=-V2
        GOTO NLOOP

M02
    this approach avoids compensatory movements, because it does not call the tool

example of usage :
    ... material clamped
    ... index turret to desired tool, and move it in manual towards X0, at a Z clearance > Z_tool_offset
    ... MDI : Gabc P12 ( activates tool corection, and moves towards X0; Z moves with z_tool_offset )
    ... MANUAL : move turret to left, until tool is at Z2.5 ( optimal clearance )
    ... MDI : Gdef P55 P0.7 ( starts cutting faces, with doc0.7, with M0 between them )

it requires a while to implement and to get used to it, but is fast

i hope that the control can handle macros ... it may be possible that the macros are enabled only if user-task-2 is there, but i am not sure about this ; kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you sure this is L-G and not L control? Parameter should work on 5000L-G. If L (green screen) then parameters are different.

Downloads
    Uploads

[ handling compensatory movements with less keystrokes ]

i could not share this sooner, because yesterday i was pretty busy; also i dont know if it works on your lathe

here it is :
    ... put tool above the part, just in the position before cutting the face
    ... MDI input : Txx ( activate offset )
    ... MDI input : G00 X=displayed_X(=diameter+clearance) Z=displayed_Z (*1)
    ... MDI input : G/M*** parameter_1=displayed_X parameter_2=doc (*2)

(*1)
    - this code should eliminate compensatory movement, without moving the turret
    - compensatory movements may appear once per index, right after the index, if a "positioning comand" is executed without involving the axis among which latest offsets have been activated ( X & Z )
    - "positioning comand" includes this enumaration : rapid or feed command, for linear and/or rotary axis
    - a compensatory movement appears if [ actual_X_offset <> previous_X_offset ] or [ actual_Z_offset <> previous_Z_offset ]
    - i dont know if your lathe has this behaviour

(*2)
    - call a macro that will cut faces, and reposition after each cut at start point and execute M0
    - at M0, inspect the face; if it looks nice, than : reset+MDI input : Txx + zero call
    - cutting specs ( n, f ) are not sent to the macro, but declared at a general value ( S1500, f0.15 )
    - adjust behaviour from potentiometers

the sequence described is based on the fact that compensatory movement is eliminated before calling the macro, thus the tool should not drift away from the desired cutting path

requirements : macro and check of compensatory behaviour on your lathe

this is the fastest way that i could suggest so far, and its construction allows faster times, even when a single cut will create a fresh face, simply because calling the macro is faster than manual intervention inside MDI

this is no longer a solution to bypass the M157; it is a fast method for zeroing the material on lathes without torque skip

for torque skip approach, thus for even faster and versatile codes, please keep an eye on this thread :
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/302374-auto-z-origin-lathe.html

kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you opened the panel to make sure the cw and ccw buttons actually hooked up.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    Are you sure this is L-G and not L control? Parameter should work on 5000L-G. If L (green screen) then parameters are different.
    Yes, The table reads OSP5000L-G and here is IGF. But parameters # 70 forwards are 0

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Have you opened the panel to make sure the cw and ccw buttons actually hooked up.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    I first opened panel and all the wires seemed to be in place, I did not open the honda connectors and realized that it all connected but at least the wires were not unplugged.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are in Word and not Long Word parameters? Your Check data should show the CW and ccw buttons being pressed in the EC input tables. If no input, bad wiring or switches. Try to jumper to see if you get input. You can find EC input table descriptions in the maintenance manual.

Best regards,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    You are in Word and not Long Word parameters? Your Check data should show the CW and ccw buttons being pressed in the EC input tables. If no input, bad wiring or switches. Try to jumper to see if you get input. You can find EC input table descriptions in the maintenance manual.

Best regards,
    Well, I checked the ec input and yes the bits change with the CW and CCW buttons.

I am a word parameters, but all the family 3 (# 65 and forward) are 0

But I found that spec code 01 from 11 bits to all 0, ie they do not have those spindle rotation options apparently.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

Did you get this issue sorted in the end? I've just powered up an Okuma lb15II MY with OSP7000L and I have a similar issue.

I can start the spindle in MDI but as soon as I switch to MANUAL the spindle stops or MID AUTO MANUAL the spindle stops and the S.T.M light flashes. Once I'm in MANUAL or MID AUTO MANUAL the spindle JOG,CW and CCW buttons are effectively useless, they beep and in the DATA CHECK page you can see it's getting the signal but there's no movement from the spindle (spindle JOG button works in AUTO and MDI). Everything works as it should in AUTO mode but again, if I change to MID AUTO MANUAL the spindle stops and S.T.M starts flashing. Results are the same with the M spindle.

I'm pretty new to this machine so any advice would be superb.

Many thanks

Last edited by Hanimex; 06-16-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

hello okumaepe from the moment when i saw this thread and the problems that you encountered with facing+zeroing the parts in MDI, i started thinking about some solutions

my post #13 is a pretty messy thing, but it was the 1st one about the idea of speeding up the procedure for zeroing the parts

so i did not find a solution to your problem, but, starting from your problem, i have improved my codes

somehow i should say thank you yup, is a bit weird, but if it wasn't for this thread, then i don't think that i would have had the idea ( is it englishkly correct ? )

my approach will be shared here : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma...n-lathe-2.html

kindly