Newbie LB15 Chuck Replacement

Thread: LB15 Chuck Replacement

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default LB15 Chuck Replacement

I'm getting one step closer to getting this LB15 turning parts.... The lathe came with a SMW Autoblock AC220 chuck which I discovered would not clamp material on center. After contacting the SMW rep they told me it was an old compensating shaft chuck and that it wouldn't clamp center (I'm guessing not without a fixture). They said it was old, very old, no information on it is available and to replace it. I have a new Kitagawa B-208 chuck (has a M60x2.0 nut) that I'd like to use on it, but I'll need to adapt the current drawtube which is a M45x1.5 thread. A local source can get me a proper nut (expensive!!!) but am I just going to run into another problem with the cylinder stroke?? SMW also could not give me any info on the cylinder either 120/46 VSNC. What do I need to measure to see if this will work?

Thank you!

-Matt

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: LB15 Chuck Replacement

I don't ever remember using special actuators with the SMW stuff, but just measure the stroke length. ATS workholding should have all the info.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get a draw tube from Okuma or 3rd party. Also, you could machine one with the correct threads.
    When I replaced an old Kitagawa with a Matsumoto, I had to make a new nut, so I went to a buddy's shop and did it there.

Downloads
    Uploads

hy mshepherd just like Douglas said, try to craft those needed parts at your place or somewhere, in the area.

the nut should be easy

about the drawtube, please consider this temporary solution : keep the old one, and simply craft a nut that will connect this existing drawtube with your newer chuck

if you managed it so far with the internal dimension of the M45drawbar, do you have a real reason to change it to M60drawbar ?

there are many situations when smaller chucks are preffered instead of bigger ones ( with which the machine was originally equipped )

if you decide to craft the M60drawbar, than i wish you to find pretty fast some stock pipe with appropiate dimensions, especially at the interior, because the exterior is easier to be machined; i dont know about your area, but arround here i would contact the guys that are machining hydraulic cilinders ( for excavators, for high pressure instalation ); so i am not refering to the hydraulic cilinder that is behind the spindle, but to the normal ( classic ) cilinder

if you decide to buy one, please consider not to go to Okuma directly, but to those that sell chucks ( like Kitagawa ). Okuma dealer wont refuse you, but it will act like an intermediate ( thus will do what you also should do, but charging extra $$$ ).

Indifferent of crafting a drawtube on your own, or buying it, you should check phisically the dimensions that you need; if you dont do this, and you contact Okuma, than Okuma will simply check for standard technical drawings for your machine, and their drawings may not be good. And you will pay for something that does not have appropiate dimensions; in this case, is good to be able to fix it, but also it may be the opposite, like not being able to fix it : money thrown on the window

kindly !

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the reply's. I ordered a custom nut from Kitagawa and got the chuck installed. Since the drawtube is small with extra threads I was able to thread it in deeper to get within the clamping range. I plan on getting a drawtube with a larger ID in the future, I'm at least one step closer to making parts. Now to figure out how to set the parameters of the new chuck and run the damn thing.