Okuma IGF

Thread: Okuma IGF

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Okuma IGF

Hello,

I have 2 okuma LB15 with osp5000l without IGF. Somebody a idea how to get the IGF Software on the machine? I asked already okuma support, but they are not able to do that. I know that there are the same used machines on the market thas are equiped with IGF.
    Thanks

Waldemar

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma IGF

One option ... you can use an offline conversational system like our KipwareT conversational.
    KipwareT will output Okuma ( and also Fanuc ) code out-of-the-box ... no post or anything else required.

One big advantage ... if you put KipwareT on a laptop it is not tied to the machine. You can move it around to program different machines ... and you don't have to program at the machine in the shop but rather you can program anywhere ... in the shop, in the office, from home.

If you have interest you can additional info at the KentechInc.com website here : KipwareT - Conversational Cam and Conversational CNC Programming Software for creating G code programs for CNC lathes and turning center machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Aylmer

Please write your e-mail adress to my private message box. I will help you.
    All Okuma's have IGF, but some are hidden by software.

Last edited by kurmay; 08-03-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/okuma.tuning

Downloads
    Uploads

The IGF normally requires both hardware and software on the older machines. That is the reason they cannot put IGF on your machine. That was built about 1984 and the hardware was discontinued long ago. Without the additional memory and graphics processor added, the software will not run.

If you can find a 5000l control that is being scrapped out that had IGF on it, they would be able to provide the software once the hardware from the scavenged machine was added.

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Though I agree it is an issue of age, a few things: the OSP5000 was built starting in 1981 and had become the 5020 by 1984 i believe.

Next, i don't think Okuma really "obsoletes" parts for the machine, however, similar to trying to find a brand new VHS player right now, finding the hardware to save the software to upload on to the machine is impossible. Same problem with PCMCIA cards. Just not a bunch of them laying around "new" out there.

Last, for the cost of getting the software from Okuma, you can buy a different used machine off of ebay WITH IGF for less money most probably.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tea hole View Post
    Though I agree it is an issue of age, a few things: the OSP5000 was built starting in 1981 and had become the 5020 by 1984 i believe.

Next, i don't think Okuma really "obsoletes" parts for the machine, however, similar to trying to find a brand new VHS player right now, finding the hardware to save the software to upload on to the machine is impossible. Same problem with PCMCIA cards. Just not a bunch of them laying around "new" out there.

Last, for the cost of getting the software from Okuma, you can buy a different used machine off of ebay WITH IGF for less money most probably.
    No, 5000L was about 82, 84 or so was the 5000LG. The 5020 showed up about 1990 or so and was the dual 32 bit processor.
    Yes, you would need the additional graphics and memory card, and then software. Even when the machines were new, it was about a 4500.00 option. Now, I'm sure a lot more if Okuma still has supply. For that kind of money, you could get a very capable cad cam system.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    No, 5000L was about 82, 84 or so was the 5000LG. The 5020 showed up about 1990 or so and was the dual 32 bit processor.
    Yes, you would need the additional graphics and memory card, and then software. Even when the machines were new, it was about a 4500.00 option. Now, I'm sure a lot more if Okuma still has supply. For that kind of money, you could get a very capable cad cam system.

https://www.okuma.com/osp-control-development

Feel free to click on the 1981 link.
    After review, i will concede the LG was the control on the early 80's machines. The front panel had been replaced on those, after checking some records and apparently the surround was swapped with a 5020 control surround or something like that cause that's how they're labeled up front though the DMC in the cabinet states they are 5000LG.
    However, the 1981 date came from some reading I had done on the Okuma website.
    I do see a machine with an actual 5020 control from 1988 in house though.
    Still run production on them.

Last edited by tea hole; 08-07-2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: mistakes were made

Downloads
    Uploads

If it was 88, it would have been a replacement panel, even our 89 loaded lb15 was still a 5000lg. The 5020 panel with adapters was the replacement front panel for dead crts on earlier machines. I was there during the 5020 roll out, it may have even been closer to 92. I also had one of the very first lb15 series 2, first lathe out with integral spindle. It was impressive in its day, and during Westec, all the competitors to Okuma were really eyeballing that machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. My shop has 3 lb15. An lb 25 and an lb15ii. One of my lb15's has 5000 it is a 1986. The 1988 and 1989 both have 5020 all have igf

Based on my experience with these machines, i believe the 5020 was an option starting in or before 1988 because I have manuals with copy right dates in 1988. They are the original ones we got with our 1988 from the first owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk