Probe calibration question on MC-v4020 with OSP U10m

Thread: Probe calibration question on MC-v4020 with OSP U10m

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Probe calibration question on MC-v4020 with OSP U10m

We recently purchased a 2001 MC-v4020 with a tool setter and MP700 Renishaw probe. OSP is new to me, so I have been reading through the manuals and familiarizing myself with how it works.
    I have had relatively good success until I hit this road block. Going through the initial probe calibration, which consists of a datum hole zero point cycle, radius comp cycle and finally a length offset cycle.

First 2 went very smooth and I was able to verify the probe is measuring correctly in the x & y. When it came to tackle Touch probe length offset cycle, I am stumped. I assume I am just missing something very basic in the instruction, but for the life of me I do not know what that is.

How I am attempting to calibrate is goes as follows

Using a gauge pin mounted in a holder, length is known, I touch off on a surface and zero the wcs for the first offset. ( just to be completely clear here, I am zeroing by hitting calculate while the gauge pin is touching the surface and then using the add button, subtracting the length of the reference tool. I am not sure this is the correct way to do this, but the only constant in this process is the spindle nose, so I am assuming that is where the reference needs to come from) I then mount the probe and run the macro from the instructions.

This macro is as follows CALL OO10 PMOD=8 PEI=(coordinate values of the measuring plane in the z axis) PLI= (Aprx offset of the reference tool to the probe)

For PEI I am inputting the number reflected in the work offset page, where I just zero'd the reference tool. For PLI, I am using the approx difference in the reference tool to the probe.

I get a z overtravel in the negative direction, every time.

Please someone tell me I am doing something ass backwards.